Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Living with Unsecured Wireless

• Please log in to reply

Joeicam

Joeicam

Malware Removal

• Malware Removal
  • 1,289 posts
Hey guys,

I am about to be moving to a new apartment in a few weeks to be closer to school, and to my surprise
the wireless had no security at all. Just completely open to the public.

I am potentially concerned about
this, because I don't want someone looking at everything I'm doing. What would be some advice you could
give me as to what I should do? Should I have some sort of peerblock or should I just get my
own router in the room and set that up as a secure network?

Thanks,
Joeicam

Advertisements

Niyol

Niyol

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Hi
If you are using a shared network then use a vpn and be very careful about banking and any transactions made over it.
I would if I where you and you can afford it get your own internet connection. And change the default admin password and wireless key on your router to one like the following !gY6(/:hS47#}=0.Q but not this one and use a different one for both admin and wireless key.
The safest thing to do on a collage site is to hard connect with a Ethernet cable and disable your wireless and if the router allows to disable external log in.
Peer block only blocks sites so wont really help with people spying on your wireless connection, it's good little program though to block spyware sites.
You might also like these free security tools
Win patrol stops unwanted changes
MVP Hosts Helps block various nasty's
Open DNS and DNS crypt, you download both programs from the site, they prevent some man in the middle attacks by securing and encrypting your DNS.
Spyware Blaster Prevent the installation of spyware and other potentially unwanted software
Keyscrambler Prevents key logging
BitDefender Traffic light Traffic light web safety. Green-safe, orange-be carefull, red-danger Will Robinson danger
Here's the geekstogo free software guide
Forgot to say use a good browser to like IE10 or Chrome
Hope that's been useful :thumbsup:

Edited by Niyol, 20 August 2013 - 03:39 AM.