Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Government Warning" Locking screen after login. [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

CompuFudge

CompuFudge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
The computer does seem much faster, snappier and responsive. Let me know how those logs look as soon as you can. We are taking off tomorrow night for a trip and I'd like to be able to bring the computer with us. I don't mean to rush you at all. I really do appreciate all of the help.

Advertisements

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts
Great! I'm going to double check your new log. Glad all is better for you :D
I'll post back asap.

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts
Hi CompuFudge :)

If you wouldn't mind, could you please try SecurityCheck again? It does support 7, kind of surprised it wouldn't run.
Download Security Check by screen317 from here or here.
  • Save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.
Thank You :)

CompuFudge

CompuFudge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Same thing. Even ran it as administrator. It gives me:

UNSUPPORTED OPERATING SYSTEM! ABORTED!

I have Win 7 SP 1. It came preloaded with the PC when I bought it (at a store, legitimately), so I know it's a legal copy.

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts
Hmmm. Ok. Thanks for checking. I can work around it. I'll consult with the experts. Likely will post for you about same time as earlier today, when I return from work tonight.
Were you able to update Microsoft Security Essentials?
If it doesn't go so well, it may be easier to uninstall/reinstall it. Download a fresh one first, stay offline afterward. Uninstall the first, then install the Fresh.
Hopefully we can finish before you have to depart. I'll do my best :D

CompuFudge

CompuFudge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Yeah it can update with no issues, now at least. I think one of the kids turned it off because it was slowing things down when it was scanning. The whole computer is faster now, so that shouldn't be an issue.

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts
Awesome! :thumbsup: Thank you.

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts
Hi again CompuFudge :)
I was told it's possible a reboot may help SecurityCheck to run. Would you mind trying that?
Reboot, then run SecurityCheck after. See if maybe that will help it work? Thank you :D
Please let me know how it goes.

CompuFudge

CompuFudge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.72
Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64 (UAC is enabled)
Internet Explorer 10
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
Windows Security Center service is not running! This report may not be accurate!
Windows Firewall Enabled!
Microsoft Security Essentials
Antivirus up to date!
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 1.75.0.1300
Java™ 6 Update 24
Java version out of Date!
Adobe Flash Player 10 Flash Player out of Date!
Adobe Reader 9
Adobe Reader XI
Mozilla Firefox (9.0.1)
Google Chrome 28.0.1500.95
Google Chrome 29.0.1547.57
Google Chrome plugins...
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````
Microsoft Security Essentials MSMpEng.exe
Microsoft Security Essentials msseces.exe
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
Total Fragmentation on Drive C: 0%
````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts
Hi CompuFudge :D
Thank you! Great job with the SecurityCheck scan :thumbsup:

Ok, I know your time is short, we're almost finished.
I'd feel much better if we squared away a couple of things before I close and let you go. I have a hard time doing a half repair :rolleyes: Got to finish correctly, see? :D Don't want to leave it vulnerable on public wifi!

These items are important finalities, I'll close up and remove tools after you let me know ESET scan results. That's going to take the most time. After ESET, everything else will be quick. If you want, you can just do the ESET scan before you leave, save the others for if you have a minute on the plane or something.

Please update these programs, as old versions pose a security risk.

Posted Image Java

WARNING: Java is the #1 exploited program at this time. The Department of Homeland Security recommends that computer users disable Java
See this article and this article.
I would recommend that you completely uninstall Java unless you need it to run an important software. But you already know this!
In that instance I would recommend that you disable Java in your browsers until you need it for that software and then enable it. (See How to disable Java in your web browser and How to unplug Java from the browser)

If you do need java, which I know you do, then you should definitely update to the latest version:

Older versions have vulnerabilities that malware can use to infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older version of Java components and upgrade the application.

Upgrade Java : (64 bits)
  • Download the latest version of Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE) JRE 7 Update 25 .
  • Under the JAVA Platform Standard Edition, click the "Download JRE" button to the right.
  • Check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement.".
  • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation 64 bit ( jre-7u25-windows-x64.exe) and save it to your desktop. Do NOT use the Sun Download Manager..
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Go to Start > Control Panel, double-click on Add/Remove programs and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
    You have Java 6 Update 24
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java version.
    While you're in there, please uninstall Adobe Reader 9, if found. You have the newest one installed, uninstall the old version! Leaving it leaves you vulnerable.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop, right click on the jre-7u3-windows-x64.exe and select Run as an Administrator to install the latest version. And you're good to go.

•Adobe Flash ~> I think you may have an older version. Be sure to keep it updated. Download site is here. Make sure you uncheck the box for "Yes, install Chrome as my default browser and Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer ".

Update Firefox

Firefox is on your computer. If you use it, it needs to stay updated, if you don't use it uninstall it. To update:

1. At the top of the Firefox window click the Firefox button.

2. Go over to the Help menu and select About Firefox.

The About Firefox window will open and Firefox will begin checking for updates. If updates are available, they will begin downloading automatically.

Posted Image

3. When the updates are downloaded and ready to be installed, click Apply Update. Firefox will be restarted and the updates will be installed.

Posted Image

That's it for updates. :D

It appears the Sidebar is still active please run the fixit again as a precaution as you did before in post 11, Step 7.

Run ESET Online Scanner:

Sorry, this will take the bulk of your time, if you have the time to post back ESET''s results, I'll remove my tools and close you out the rest of the way. I'd feel much better if I knew you were all the way clean/protected and good to go. Especially taking the computer with you.
I'd feel terrible if a leftover piece of missed junk borks your computer while you're gone!

Note: Optimized for Internet Explorer, you can use Chrome or Mozilla FireFox for this scan.

Important! ~> Vista / 7 users: You will need to to right-click on the either the IE or FF icon in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar on the Taskbar and select Run as Administrator from the context menu so you are running IE as Administrator

•Please go here then click on:
Posted Image

•A new window will open:

Posted Image

Select the option YES, I accept the Terms of Use then click on:

Posted Image

•When prompted allow the Add-On/Active X to install.

Posted Image

Uncheck the box beside Remove Found Threats

Check the box Scan archives.

•Now click on Advanced Settings and select the following:

Scan for potentially unwanted applications

Scan for potentially unsafe applications

Enable Anti-Stealth Technology

•Now click on: Posted Image

•The virus signature database will begin to download. Be patient this make take some time depending on the speed of your Internet Connection.

•When completed the Online Scan will begin automatically. The scan may take several hours.

•Wait for the scan to finish. Do not touch either the Mouse or keyboard during the scan. Otherwise it may stall.

When The Scan is Complete:

1. If No Threats Were Found:
•Put a checkmark in Uninstall application on close
•Close the program
•Report to me that nothing was found

2. If Threats Were Found:
•Click on list of threats found
•Click on export to text file and save it to the desktop as ESET SCAN.txt
•Click on Back
•Put a checkmark in Uninstall application on close Be sure you have saved the file first
•Click on Finish
•Close the program

3. Copy and paste the report here

Note: Do not forget to re-enable your Anti-Virus application after running the above scan!

The rest of the cleanup can be done sitting in the airport or wherever, whenever is convenient. Let me know how the scan goes, please.
Soon as you're done, let me know and I'll close up and remove tools, etc. All that'll be super fast.

Advertisements

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.