Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WIRELESS NETWORK ADAPTER PROBLEMS

• Please log in to reply

KarenAA53

KarenAA53

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have a hp pavillion dv7 notebook, I keep having problems connecting to the internet. I ran troubleshoot and it told me to plug in the ethernet cable,
I can connect with the cable in and then afterwards I could unplug and it would be ok. Today the only way I can connect is with the ethernet cable plugged in. The troubleshoot "suggests..it is the wireless network connection adapter". I checked the drivers are up to date, I reset the network adapter and still no improvement. What next? I'm not experienced in fixing computers just can follow directions. Thanks Karen

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
A bit of a stupid question here but have you actually made sure that the wireless is turned on Karen?

A White light indicates ON.

An Amber light indicates OFF.

KarenAA53

KarenAA53

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes its on, there is a wireless indicator that is orange. karen

KarenAA53

KarenAA53

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I don't know what those terms mean but Monday it wouldn't connect so I plugged in the cable for a few minutes to troubleshoot it when I unplugged it stayed on for the rest of the day. Then yesterday I ran the troubleshooter and it stayed unconnected. I haven't changed anything. Thanks, Karen

KarenAA53

KarenAA53

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

A bit of a stupid question here but have you actually made sure that the wireless is turned on Karen?

A White light indicates ON.

An Amber light indicates OFF.

I went out to check the computer & it was off. But what could make it turn off (aside from the obvious...me) This has happened & I take the computer, plug into ethernet > unplug & it's back. I even called hp, took the battery out, plug the power cable, rebooted
and it came back. So for the moment I am wireless. I know something is messing up...real confident it's not me >} Karen

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
What is the exact model number of your laptop because the DV 7 range is quite large?

KarenAA53

KarenAA53

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
dv 7-6c 95dx Thanks, Karen

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Which driver did you install as there are quite a few listed here.

http://h20000.www2.h...vOID=4063#11395

KarenAA53

KarenAA53

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I didn't install anything the troubleshooter said all my drivers were up to date. The last time this happened I plugged in the ethernet cable and did install windows updates
and then everything worked fine. I have it set to update automatically but these weren't done. Karen

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I really don't need to see an enormous font size Karen.

You say that the last time you plugged in the ethernet cable and installed windows updates, does this mean that you are not allowing the machine to update in the normal manner?

Have you ever reinstalled windows on this machine?

KarenAA53

KarenAA53

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Sorry bout the font, it was so small I adjusted it & it didn't show the change. No I use auto update but the updates weren't current. I setit again and will check to make sure it's updating. I have never downloaded windows onto it. Karen