Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Are my computer parts compatible?

• Please log in to reply

Jake85r

Jake85r

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I have been wanting to build my own computer for some time now, but before I can order the parts I need to see if they are compatible with each other. I have never built a computer before so please excuse me if i don't know what parts go with which. I have watched several videos of people building computers. So here we go!

Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Extreme OC High Performance Triple CFX/ SLI Intel Motherboard

Graphics Card: EVGA 02G-P4-2761-KR GeForce GTX 760 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-4670K Processor

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 Memory Kit for Core i3, i5, i7 and Platforms SDRAM CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9

Power Supply: HX Series HX850 Power Supply — 850 Watt 80 PLUS® Gold Certified Modular PSU

Case: NZXT Technologies Source 210 Computer Case (Black)

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB SATA III 7200 RPM 16 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive - WD5000AAKX

Software: Windows 7 Home Premium (I have tried Windows 8 and I really don't like it. I know that they are coming out with windows 8.1 soon but I would much rather have Windows 7!)

I also want to add a optical drive, so let me know if that is possible as well!

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!! Thank you in advance!! Just let me know if I need to change anything or if there is something better in that price range!

Edited by Jake85r, 20 August 2013 - 12:16 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
:welcome: Jake85r

Nice list of parts but I would change the PSU to a lower spec as the HX850 is way more than you need and you are paying a premium for it, some of the cash saved could go to getting a bigger and better HDD + your optical drive.

I would also consider adding an SSD for faster boot times and quicker access to your favourite game/s, if you are a gamer that is.

Let us know what country you will be purchasing the parts and we will see if we can save you some cash on the parts.

Jake85r

Jake85r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Thank you so much for the reply!!! I am getting all of my parts from the U.S. How big of a PSU do you think I will need?? Also I was looking into getting a SSD but i don't know how big I should get it. Again Thanks for replying!! :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Here is a list of parts based on your core components - you are most welcome BTW Jake85r :thumbsup:

Having looked at your proposed case I would also suggest that you choose a better one that has front USB 3.0 ports and a better cooling fan set up.

Jake85r

Jake85r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
OMG!! You are the best!!!!! I can't thank you enough seriously!!!!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
You are most welcome :thumbsup:

Any further questions please ask away.