Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AHCI port1 device error

• Please log in to reply

mysticaries88

mysticaries88

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have a previously owned TOSHIBA Satellite M505 S4945

On saturday I got this pop up 'windows detected a hard disk problem'. (not my photo, but this is the same type of pop up) 110jihc.png
I googled and found a "fix" : TYPE gpedit.msc ON RUN. Navigate to Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Troubleshooting and Diagnostics\Disk Diagnostic...Double Click on "Disk diagnostic: configure execution level", set it to "disabled". "Not configured" is enabled by default.

Sunday my laptop turned off/restarted and I got this error page that doesnt show up on my laptop, but shows up on my tv (hdmi connected) 20130819_184919.jpg
20130819_184849.jpg

I noticed the "AHCI port1 device error" all the way in the bottom. I did some research, but would like to know any and all reasons why I would get this error...

Extra info: On Friday night my laptop slammed shut fairly hard (it doesnt stand up on its own) I did open my hard drive area and noticed that the hard drive was crooked and being held by cardboard (not done by me).
20130818_194108.jpg This the hard drive that I straightened out, but laptop still shuts off.
20130818_194141.jpg This is for just in case you need it...

So why is this happening and what can be done? Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

Edited by mysticaries88, 20 August 2013 - 04:55 PM.

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Looks to me like your hard drive is dead mate.

mysticaries88

mysticaries88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Ok thanks! By the way, almost every time my pc shuts off there's a quick flash of a blue screen with white writing...So if I need a new hard drive, what do you recommend? And what should I get to transfer hard drive data? Thanks!

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Well any SATA hard drive will do, it depends on your budget and do you have the OEM installation disk or Back to factory recovery disks for Vista?

mysticaries88

mysticaries88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I think I have a disk (not original though) PC was a hand me down/gift with windows 7 already installed. And ok thanks a bunch for the hard drive advice :)

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Ok, so what is the disk that you have now?

Windows 7 or Vista?