Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Problem

• Please log in to reply

ealioth

ealioth

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi everyone

Just purchase a mother board and a processor 3 weeks past. The PC works fine the after installation . It works great, but not after 2 days ago. The PC shutsdown automatically when running applications even in stand by mode.

Yesterday you cannot use it anymore cause it just shutdown during booting process. I've replace the power cable and the power supply with a new one. After that the PC was back to normal.

Today the problem occured again and just like before when you try to start the PC, it automatically shutdown during booting process ( during POST). You could see the power light turn off also .

Anyone who experience this kind of problem?

By the way the Model of the mother board and the Processor is

ASUS A7S8X-MS & AMD SEMPRON 2400

The current PC specs is
20GB HD, 256 MB DDR 266, 64MB video card, 300 wats power supply
, Running on Windows 2000

Thanks!

Edited by ealioth, 07 June 2005 - 11:43 PM.

Advertisements

12matthias335

12matthias335

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Are you talking about the power light on the mobo? What kind of applications are you running? What's the brand of your power supply? Any other clues you can give?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Sounds to me like the power supply gave up even though it was new, I say this because you stated that after replasing the psu the system was normal.

I also think that any 300w psu is underpowerd for that board and cpu so get a name brand ( Antec, ernmax, thermaltake to name a few) 400w or better.

Rick

ealioth

ealioth

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Are you talking about the power light on the mobo? What kind of applications are you running? What's the brand of your power supply? Any other clues you can give?

View Post

Yes the power light on the mobo.

Applications? basic office applications and some games

Generic brand PSU.

Well before replacing the PSU unit I've tested it first with a PSU that I barrowed for about an hour. When the original problem never surface. That's when I decided to get a new PSU (Generic). Although yesterday it did happen again and the pc is still unuasable until now.

ealioth

ealioth

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Sounds to me like the power supply gave up even though it was new, I say this because you stated that after replasing the psu the system was normal.

I also think that any 300w psu is underpowerd for that board and cpu so get a name brand ( Antec, ernmax, thermaltake to name a few) 400w or better.

Rick

View Post

I'll try that, thanks for the advise!

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
your welcome

chhubbar

chhubbar

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just ran into this, also. I am not an expert, but I was able to get into my BIOS and look at the hardware monitor. My computer was shutting down because the CPU was overheating. Let your system cool all the way down (several hours). Go into the BIOS as quick as possible and check your CPU configuration. Make sure it is not overclocked and all of your voltage settings are on auto.

If that doesn't work, you are going to have to find someone smarter than me. I am just an intermediate user.

GOOD LUCK!