Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card the reason?

• Please log in to reply

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts
Not sure what to think about this. I have problems with one game crashing in mid play. The game will stop, the screen goes black, and I have to hold down the power button and reboot the machine.

I've run repair installations of the game (Call of Duty 4) and made certain the drivers for my vid card are updated. I've run the game in safe mode, and still it crashes. I'm running Vista 64-bit and I've got a GE Force GT220 1 gig card in the machine, and wondering if it's the problem, as the machine is about 4 years old now. I've opened the case, vacuumed the dust out. I've also scanned my machine for malware, using the tools I'm learning in Geek U, and the logs have come out clean.

One other thing: Every time the machine reboots, the Steam client tries to update itself. I've also run repair installations on that software as well, but it continues to try and update itself whenever the game crashes.

:confused: :confused: Any ideas?

Advertisements

Veeg

Veeg

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Hello

Well the 220 card is a bit dated by now,for the newer versions of games... To verify how much ram do you have? Or could you please provide more pc spec's...

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts
Here's the specs:

Processor Intel® Core™ i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz, 2668 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB

PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A20&SUBSYS_069A10DE&REV_A2\4&A2AD351&0&0018
Adapter Type GeForce GT 220, NVIDIA compatible
Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce GT 220
Adapter RAM 1.00 GB (1,073,741,824 bytes)
Installed Drivers nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver Version 9.18.13.2049
INF File oem12.inf (Section001 section)

Veeg

Veeg

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Ok good,first i suggest that you never use a vacuum cleaner to get the dust out of your pc,this builds up static electricity when used.. Try can air next time... I would suggest that you may need to upgrade your graphics card,if this is an option then you need to make sure you have the correct psu wattage... Also if you could provide your mobo spec's that would be great..

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

Ok good,first i suggest that you never use a vacuum cleaner to get the dust out of your pc,this builds up static electricity when used.. Try can air next time... I would suggest that you may need to upgrade your graphics card,if this is an option then you need to make sure you have the correct psu wattage... Also if you could provide your mobo spec's that would be great..

No worries, I'll use canned air next time. I'm trying to find the specs, but not having much luck at Dell's website.

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Download Speccy and you'll have your specs.

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

Download Speccy and you'll have your specs.

Thank you, Brazened :)

Motherboard
Manufacturer DELL Inc.
Model 0X501H (CPU 1)
Version 00
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model X58
Chipset Revision 12
Southbridge Vendor Intel
Southbridge Model 82801JR (ICH10R)
Southbridge Revision 00
System Temperature 40 °C
BIOS
Brand DELL INC.
Version A13
Date 28/07/2009
Voltage
+3.3V 3.344 V
CPU CORE 0.928 V
VIN2 1.520 V
VIN3 0.894 V
+5V 5.087 V
+12V 12.144 V
VIN6 1.808 V
VSB3V 3.344 V
CMOS BATTERY 3.280 V
PCI Data

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
That's good but it's better to post the summary so we know about the CPU and memory too.

Veeg

Veeg

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
So the info i was able to pull up,indicates this pc has a 300 watt psu and probably would take a fairly new gpu.. What is your budget?

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

That's good but it's better to post the summary so we know about the CPU and memory too.

Operating System
Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP2
CPU
Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz 51 °C
Bloomfield 45nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 531MHz (7-7-7-20)
Motherboard
DELL Inc. 0X501H (CPU 1) 33 °C
Graphics
AL2223W (1680x1050@59Hz)
AL2223W (1680x1050@59Hz)
1024MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 (NVIDIA) 55 °C
Hard Drives
932GB Seagate ST31000528AS (SATA) 33 °C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GH50N
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Advertisements

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

So the info i was able to pull up,indicates this pc has a 300 watt psu and probably would take a fairly new gpu.. What is your budget?

That's debatable, actually. I can buy from Dell, which is pretty much my only option and pay it out monthly. So, anywhere from $150-$250 in that range.

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Hmm... are you running two monitors?

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

Hmm... are you running two monitors?

No, just one wide flat screen. The resolution is 1680x1050. I've been running it that way for the longest time. The problem has only recently cropped up.

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts
Anyone still there? :)

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Are you using the Windows drivers for the video card? Try the drivers that comes with the card or download from the maker.