Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help on choosing new GPU

• Please log in to reply

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Hi everyone,
thanks for taking your time to look at my post.
Ok Ive been here for a few tips n trick before, now im looking into changing my GPU, but I`m not sure what to look for, so maybe someone here can help me out :)

I pretty much do regular computer stuff, stream, movies e most of all play bf3 and will move on to bf4 as it come out. At the moment I have a old monitor that runs 1680x1050 (philips220ws) Most likely I will change that up as soon as I have some extra cash.

My pc specs are the following:

mobo : Asus Rampage gene 2
CPU : I7 920 2.66Ghz O.C to 3.8Ghz
RAM : Patriot Viper II sector 5 2000Mhz 4x2ram
GPU : Asus GTX560
PSU : Delta 1000w

I know its a bit old stuff but in my opinion (for what its worth) it still gets the job done.

I think bf4 will run with what I have, but the things is i think my gpu is slowly leaving me, sometimes while gamin my screen just goes nuts and turns all sorts of colors and then game stops working and i have to restart it (online) Lookin around onloine people mostly say its caused by a GPU that is on its last leg, can anyone confirm this? IDK why but I cant attach a file :( gotta go to work now, will check back later on or tomrrow. thanks again for taking your time to read this.

bye bye

Gandalf

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello Gandalf81

Before replacing the GPU I suggest a couple of tests, one for the GPU and one or more to check the PSU and temperatures;

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Depending on the results we may need to run further software for comparison http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Next test the GPU withOCCT

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Hi Phil, nice to hear from you again :) Ok im running the OCCT test right now, how long should I run it for? I ran Prima95 for stress test i dont remember how long but think it was all night and it did ok. max temps were 64-65 but this was in march or so when room temps were around 20-23c. now they are around 27-30c.
for some reason I can only upload the speed fan screen shot, the others idk why wont work. i saved them as jpeg... any idea of how i can get them to upload?speedfan 1.jpg

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
I dont get what you mean with this step :

then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello Gandalf81

How long to run the GPU tests;

In the GPU: MEMTEST section select the number of Passes, usually 5-7 will be sufficient for detecting errors
Monitor your GPU temperatures. If you see artifacts, or the temperature of your GPU exceeds 80C, stop the test.

Not sure what you are having trouble with as you uploaded the Speedfan screenshot ok :)
It does depend on where the screenshot was saved to as it may be in Pictures for example, browse gives you the option to check.

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Ok, ran it for an hour no temps exceed 67c.
the problem with uploading that i have is when I click on the "click to attach files" tap it asks me to choose, I choose it and then it looks as if its uploading, and after a few seconds it says : "upload not working.jpg, this upload failed" the only one that worked was the speed fan one, idk why that one worked. they are all saved to jpeg so and the biggest one is 500kb soi that shouldnt be the problem. under it there is the "help with attaching files" and at the end of it there is a ling "try switching to our basic uploader" but when I click on it just bringsme to the OPTIONS screen. I cant fint anything there about uploading :(

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Have you by any chance reached your upload limit with the latest Speedfan screenshot + in earlier topics, where it says Click To Attach Files alongside it says how much you have used out of what you are allowed maximum.

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
it actually did, so I deleted everything that I had except that but it still wont let me :( maybe its just a question of time, idk.... still wont work
Got any idea how I can show u the files in another way? I have dropbox but thats full too :(

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
For now can you make a note of the +3.3V, +5V, +12V readings on the PSU + any high temps that may be showing as is highlighted by your GPU reading in Speedfan, post them with your next reply please.

An alternative method is to provide a Speccy url for us :thumbsup:

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Ok, I tried uploadin the file again today and no luck whats so ever. I already have speecy installed on my pc how do you want me to proceed?
Ps. I dont understand what you mean with "For now can you make a note of the +3.3V, +5V, +12V readings on the PSU"
What are considered high temps? Usually nothing on my pc ever goes over 67c. the gpu is usally at around 60-65c while gaming, and from what I red online its a pretty normal temp for gaming bf3
I found this site that lets me upload pics here is the result of the occt after almost 1 hour: http://i43.tinypic.com/2pr7ecz.jpg
This is the mssage I get when trying to upload files: http://i40.tinypic.com/ndwfnl.jpg
OCCT + Speedfan: http://i44.tinypic.com/ubgi.jpg

Let me know if you need anymore info and what I should do next
thanks fo ryour help

Advertisements

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
http://speccy.pirifo...vbG6TknbSDNBZiA
http://speccy.pirifo...4NYGDKIeTaALHya
here are the speecy files

Edited by Gandalf81, 23 August 2013 - 01:42 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Apologies for the delay Gandalf81 :(

The temps are ok but the +5 and +12V rails on the PSU are inconsistent, run HWMonitor and post a screenshot of the results for us pleaseHWMonitor
The attached table shows what the minimum and maximum output of a stable PSU should be.

If you are still having problems using the upload facility let us know and I will ask for it to be checked out for you.

As an asides Gandalf81 Speccy shows that your anti virus is disabled are you aware of this.

JohnSheen

JohnSheen

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
It seems phillpower has a good point, but I wonder if you overclocked your gtx560 and updated the drivers regularly? Does your computer gives a warning after the crash that your nvidia driver stops responding or your graphic card is saved from a fatal error or something similar. Your case reminds me when my gpu fails after an unstable overclock. Please let me know of this, and try another demanding game (Crysis 2 or 3 especially 3) to see if the reaction will be similar, judging based on 1 game is not enough. Do you have the same crashes while watching movies or videos?

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Hi John,
I never O.C`d my gpu, my last update was probably within the last 6 month. The thing is I will be playing and then all of a sudden it will start to look like this http://tinypic.com/r/2j4tyk4/5. I dont recal any warning come up after the crash, I would just find myself looking at the desktop. So far I think it only happened 2-3 within the last 6month or so. So its not a regular thing. I dont run bf3 maxed out I actually play on normal settings (Your able to spot enemy faster ;) ) . It never did something similar or stop working while doing anything else, just in bf3 (only game I play)

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Hi Phil,
no worries on the delay, its all good, I appreciate the help :)
ok ran HWMonitor and voltages seem fine ( i think)
Uploader now works :) :) :)

Attached Thumbnails

• HWMonitor.jpg