Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help on choosing new GPU

• Please log in to reply

JohnSheen

JohnSheen

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Well, judging from your screenshot you sent, I can say it is clearly artifacts that your gpu is creating. You see the strange shapes and colors that are abnormal. These are the artifacts. There is something wrong with your gpu right now. Is your gpu factory overclocked or some special edition sale? I want you to download some benchmarking applications. You should check if your gpu behaves the same under heavy load. I am posting the links for some good programs I use. GTX560 is a DX11 compatible card. So I want you to run especially unigine valley at DX11 maxed out settings. And in the meantime please download another First Person Shooter, try Crysis 2 and Crysis 3. these are the best for testing your gpu s stability.

Here are the links,

MSI Afterburner Beta 14 Download

this one is for MSI Afterburner, from 3dguru website. It has a benchmark tool named MSI Kombustor. Kmobustor will appear as a desktop ıcon so you wont miss it. Download the latest beta 14, the rest does not work :)

NOTE: make sure it does not setup "riva tuner statics" it is a pain in the back to remove.

Run the MSI Kombustor and select Tessy Spheres on Plane v2 , then go to settings tab to the right and max out resolution and AA. Then turn back to the first tab ( 3D Tests ) where you chose the spheres.

Now click Run stress test ( Settings Panel).

NOTE: Please make sure you have your gpu fan adjusted around 55-60% we don't want to cook it right :D:D The tests will put a lot of pressure and the card will get pretty hot, so make sure you keep an eye on temps and the fan speed. Increase the fan speed if necessary, make sure the temps dont go above some 70 celcius degrees.
(You can manually adjust the fan speed from MSI Afterburner program. But make sure you don't change any other settings, or you can damage your gpu.

Now, watch for any kind of funny images and distortions that is called Artifacts. You see them on screen while playing BF3 so, you know exactly what you are looking for.
If the screen freezes and creates horizontal lines and stuff, immediately restart your pc so that your gpu can recover.

Normally, these artifacts only when the gpu is running at uncomfortably high clock speeds, or when your PSU fails to deliver enough amount of current to your gpu. But we will see what we con do about it.

Second, download unigine valley from the link below.

Unigine Valley

Run the program and enjoy the show :) It has great graphichs and atmosphere so you wont be bored ;) Dont forget to max out ever DX11 Setting possible or simply click on ULTRA.
Same rules for this one too, look for artifacts.

Please download the other games I told to make sure it is not a BF3 exclusive thing ;) Run the benchmark tools, and please report any trouble you may have, I would be happy to help you ;) And watch the benchmark programs at least for some half hour.

Then please write me in detail, and we can proceed with some steps, to see if we can solve the problem manually.

Hope this helps,
I told you too much I guess :D
Take care of yourself and your gpu ;)
peace

Edited by JohnSheen, 28 August 2013 - 02:15 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello folks,

As mentioned earlier Gandalf81 the +5 and +12V rails on the PSU are only just above what they need to be for the computer to be stable, also keep in mind that the computer is not under any load when the readings are taken so I suggest that you take fresh readings and post an updated screenshot but this time do so after you have run the UNiGiNE stress test that John has kindly provided the information for.

Looking at the various readings that you have provided the CPU temperature is consistently only just marginally under the safe maximum thermal footprint allowed before the thermal sensor activates and shuts off the computer to avoid the CPU frying, CPU thermal footprint = Minimum/Maximum operating temperature 5°C - 67.9°C your Average Temperature = 64 °C with Core 0 reaching 66 °C, temps as high as this over a period of time can and will cause the graphics to artifact and the CPU to ultimately fail.

As per my reply #12

As an asides Gandalf81 Speccy shows that your anti virus is disabled are you aware of this.

?

I also note that you have a vast amount of Microsoft Bing and Bing Camera etc updates but no actual Windows 8 updates, Windows Update AutoUpdate is Not configured and Windows Defender is Disabled, again are you aware of these potential security risks and that Windows Defender offers the same real-time anti-virus/anti-malware protection as Microsoft Security Essentials.

NB: Glad to see the uploader issue now resolved Gandalf81 :thumbsup:

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Hi Phill,
as for the antivirus, yeah I know, my when I took the screen shot was the day my trial expired... I installed the same night or same day i dont remember... Thanks for noticing that. As for the "Microsoft Bing and Bing Camera" I cant find them to delete them with cccleaner. idk what those are and why I have them 0_0 . im about to eat dinner, i just downloaded the programs will leave them running and post result late.
As for the Temps I checked a bunch of different forums and my temps seem to be avrage with most people. My idle temps are usually around 46c and full load using prime 95 I dont go over 67C. Do you really think that is too high?

Edited by Gandalf81, 29 August 2013 - 12:13 PM.

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Hi John,
got a little problem, i downloaded the lates msi afterbuner installed like u said, but I cant fin the msi kombuster anywere on my desktop and i cant find with search either -_- can I just download it somewere ?
By the way thanks for your help
Ok I ran Valley Benchmark for about 10-15 min then ran the benchmark, the result is the attached file.valley benchmark.jpg

I am running the MSI Kombustor and watching a tv show at the same time, temps are stable at 57-58 with fan at 60% Now it been about 10min I will let it run a bit longer and then post some screen shots.

So far on both test no artifacts at all :)

ps is taht a good score on the benchmark?
Sorry phill forgot to take the screen shot of temps and voltage after benchmark here is how things are now http://speccy.pirifo...cwqH2gpK6JCTgv2
I will take one when I finish stress test and benchmark

Edited by Gandalf81, 29 August 2013 - 02:04 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for the update Gandalf81 :thumbsup:

I will be around for a few hours yet so enjoy your dinner and I will look out for an update when you are ready, we can then look at getting rid of any rubbish that you may have on your HDD.

Enable Windows Defender

Enable Automatic Updates

As an asides Kombustor is now bundled with AfterBurner but try Here

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Ok dinner is finished, had some good home made burgers :)
Just a question wont AVG and windows defender get into conflict? If I remember right when I installed AVG it told me it needed to turn off windows defender to avoid conflict. idk, but now avg is up and running and it tells me Im fully protected.

As for the win8 updates a friend of mine who is pretty good with computers gave me the advice to turn off the updates and just update when their is a new service pack available... I remember when I had win7 at the beginning I had it on automatic and my pc slowly became slow and was more unstable, so I reformatted added the lates service pack and from then on I turned it off and only did the service pack updates.... whats your opinion on that?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
AVG was a very good anti virus software for many years but some feel that it has lost ground to others such as Avast and MSE which are both available free, light on system resources but offer very good protection + as I said earlier Windows Defender in W8 is basically MSE so you would not need AVG if Windows Defender was enabled.

As for the win8 updates a friend of mine who is pretty good with computers gave me the advice to turn off the updates and just update when their is a new service pack available...

Sorry but I am not sure where your friend got this information from!
Many but not all Microsoft updates are released as security measures so if you don`t have the update installed you are vulnerable every time you go online.

Please see the tutorial provided courtesy of admin Here you will note the reference to the demise of AVG.

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
ok good to know, I will update tonight before I go to bed :)
As for the MSE I had it for a while, I uninstalled avg because I was crashing (i think I got the tip from this forum) and they told me avg was quite "heavy" antivirus so they said I should try out avast or mse. Tried out MSE and idk after how long ( iwas nt running win8 yet) but I got a virus. Not a bad one, it was quite a pain in the u know were. basicly it told me my pc was blocked because I visited a web site that was under investigation from our government (i live in switzerland) It was one of those Federal Department of Justice and Police virous. it asked me to pay I think 100chf to unblock my pc right away or I would have to wait idk how long. I remember reading about it so I went on internet through my phone and found out how to remove it :) so from then on I told my self Ill upgrade to the new avg ( i was running avg8.0 at the time) and from then on I had no problem, except now these artifacts everyonece in a while while playing bf3.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Any site that requires a payment to repair your computer should be given a wide berth, only the trained staff over on the malware forums can offer malware removal advice but I can bring to your attention a virus issue that was taken care of by Essexboy, note the reference to a well known US legal department - sound familiar, see Here

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
yup it was something like that.
About my temps did do you think thy are really high? because everywhere I look idle temps at their lowest are 35-40 but thats with 65F, and most people have them in their mid 40s some even higher. Quite a few peopel say that while running stress test they get in the 70s and 80s fahrenheit. I have a room temp of low 80s with 46 idle and 67 max under stress test...
and how can I get rid of those bing things you were telling me about

Edited by Gandalf81, 29 August 2013 - 01:36 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
You can find the maximum safe temperature for your CPU at the attached link Intel Core i7-920 - AT80601000741AA / BX80601920 / BXC80601920 please note that if the safe working temperature settings in the BIOS have been changed it is possible for the temperatures to exceed what is safe without the computer shutting down, this is typical with a system that has been overclocked.

Next suggestion is to tidy up the data on your HDD so please follow the directions provided below starting with Autoruns http://technet.micro...ernals/bb963902

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
5: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
6: Attach to your next reply.
http://www.afterdawn..._in_windows.cfm

2nd: Download and run TFC from http://www.geekstogo...ds&showfile=187 your computer should automatically re-boot on completion but if not do it manually.

3rd: Defrag your HDD http://www.auslogics...re/disk-defrag/ a tidy drive is a faster drive, please note that I am not suggesting that you use any other product or service at the link.
Couple of other things to consider are what size HDD do you have and how much free storage space is available, you should always have between 15 and 20% of the overall capacity available, do not have more than 1 AV program running as it causes slowness as the programs fight for control of system resources, this can lead to instability and/or crashes.
What AV do you use, some use a lot more system resources than others Norton and AVG are excellent but very demanding.

To speed up your boot times find any unnecessary programs linked to start up "how to" below;

START -> RUN
type MSCONFIG in the RUN box
then click OK

Click on the start-up TAB

Look at each line that has a check in the box, these are start-up items, with the exception of Windows programs and your AV software uncheck the ones you do not want to run at start-up.

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
thanks for the temp link

ok ran autoruns this is what I got Attached File  AutoRuns.txt   41.01KB   197 downloads I turned off cs6, MSO & steam Attached File  AutoRuns1.txt   41.39KB   187 downloads

ran the TFC and freed 19,000mb

ran defrag and it freed 79kb

As for space I have 2 1tb hdd
1 I use for back, I only have my old pc stuff in it
the other hdd is partition in 2 parts which botch are not even half full
So free space wise i`m good.

The MSCONFIG I will do tomorrow, Im tired now so Ill finish watching this episode of Breaking Bad and hit the sack.

Thanks for all your help Phill
Good night

Gandalf

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for the update Gandalf :thumbsup:

I will look through you Autoruns log and leave you an update to check on tomorrow.

Sleep well & you are welcome btw :thumbsup:

Disable the following in Autoruns;
adobeAAMUpdater-1.0" "Adobe Updater Startup Utility
Dropbox
Adobe Flash Player Updater"
CCleanerSkipUAC
PunkBuster
SkypeUpdate

Note the windows defender entry, have you considered enabling Windows Defender and getting rid of AVG.

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Ok, I turned offf all the autruns you told me except punkbuster, I need that on to play BF3.
I think I will stick with AVG, but if I get any problems in the future the first thing I will do is switch to defender ;)

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Hey all,
ok something strange is going on, I started running valley benchmark and turned on speecy and fan control to check temps and get you the screen shot, temps in speecy this is what i got from fan controll speed fan weird temps.jpg

any idea what that means, Im guessing the program is going crazy... This isnt hile running benchmark just while watching the video.
what do you think?

Here is a screen shot of HWmonitor after about 20min of benchmark HWmonitor 1.jpg

Edited by Gandalf81, 30 August 2013 - 01:42 PM.