Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need help on choosing new GPU

• Please log in to reply

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Hi John,

I downloaded system monitor from nvidia but the bad news is I can see everything but the PSU :(

I found out that OCCT also has 12v reading here is the screen shot: http://i39.tinypic.com/zk6cdx.jpg (sorry but it wont let me upload files, once again)

As for Guarantee for the GPU (or any other component on my pc) they are all expired :(

FIrst try with crysis 3 was a flop, dowloading 2 other ones, hopefully one will work, I will keep you updated

cheers
Gandalf

Advertisements

JohnSheen

JohnSheen

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hello again,

hmm sorry to hear that, but it seems we can't go against the destiny sometimes :D well, we have to leave out the PSU for some time :) but please continue on checking the values on the 12v and 5v rails of your PSU. While playing crysis 3 and running benchmarks. Eventhough we cant see the current, at least we can have the voltage.

please deliver me max and min values of VDDC readings from GPU-Z and 5V readings from speed fan. In every single step, so that we can still check your PSU.

as for the guarantee, that's great news, at least regarding our next steps, :) that all your guarantees are expired.

Waiting for your C3 update, in the meantime, please play another game, which is less demanding like Modern Warfare 2 or 3 (or something equivalent). Torrent it if you don'T have them.

I don't want to charge head on to downclocking and undervolting and other stuff, before being 100% sure that your GPU is unstable under other applications. These artifacts are usually the outcomes of a defected GPU, but we will see.

Take care of your self, waiting for your next update,

Have a good night ;)
Peace

JohnSheen

JohnSheen

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
and I am not proud to write it here but, try your torrent donwloads from this website, only from the skull marked users(that means they are trusted)

Again -
We here at GeeksToGo do not tolerate suggestions to useP2P file sharing programs. While many of these programs are-in-and of themselves legal, most things acquired by their use are not. Instead of attempting to differentiate between the legal use of P2P programs and the illegal use thereof, we have decided to stop helping with issues regarding this software. It is also in your best interest to know that many P2P software packages come bundled with spyware/malware/virii and that their use greatly increases the chances of your computer becoming infected. I strongly suggest that you uninstall these programs and refrain from using them at all costs.

we also do not tolerate suggestions that a member acquire copied, pirated, cracked or in any other way, stolen programs, movies, music or any other media. It is a direct violation of our TOS (Terms Of Service) to offer any suggestions like this.

If you have any issues with this policy please PM a Moderator or Admin.

But for the sake of our case and to speed up the process please use this site ;) they are usually working torrents.

Edited by Crowbar, 05 September 2013 - 01:38 PM.
removed torrent link

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
it was from there :whistling:

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Hey John,

I am not able to play crysis 3 in anyway :( will try with mw 2 ... On the other side its since the 15th of may that I havent ahd any problems. Im just wondering if it could have just been a game bug? it only has happened 2-3 times in 1 year or so.
thanks for help :)

JohnSheen

JohnSheen

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Wow, hi gandalf,

I am very happy to hear that,

Usually game bugs do not result in artifacts and a following crash :)

Play whatever you have for some days. If same things happen again, we can move on with the solutions I was planning.

You brought good news my friend :D
Please force your gpu while playing, set the graphics to max.

It can be your PSU as well, just try and pm me if anything occurs again :)

Thanks for the update, I was wondering about the case,

Take care,
Peace

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
Hi JohnSheen,

Thank you for your contributions to this forum. :thumbsup:

Just a reminder of some forum etiquette:

It can be your PSU as well, just try and pm me if anything occurs again

Please don't ask members to send personal messages, as that's not how forums function best. Keep the conversations pubilc, where everyone can view and benefit. :cool:

JohnSheen

JohnSheen

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
I will sir, thanks for warning me :) good to see you care about all the forum and topics.

Many thanks for giving a thoughtful advice :)

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Hey guys. Thanks for all the help so far. I guess we kind of went off topic... but its ok, it was interesting to find out more about my pc and what could be the cause of the problem with the graphics. But what I was really looking for was help to choose a new gpu (not necessarily to replace because of occasional problem) but to get the kost out of bf4.if im not kistaking the exact requirements havent come out yet, but I was hoping that u guys could point me into a good direction of a new gpu for my pc. Again thanks for all the help... Gandalf

JohnSheen

JohnSheen

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hello, gandalf,

What is your budget, the requirements of BF4, won'T be much different from BF3. At least this is what I guess. Also, before buying another gpu, I would recommend you to wait and see the new series AMD is going to release hopefully in 3 weeks. And, please try some other games in max. graphics, make sure the problem does not occur again :)

Advertisements

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Hey John,
My budget is... idk, I have to wait and see, my working contract end in october, so I have to see how much money unemployment will give -_- Most likely not more than 200chf (keep in mind a gpu here in switzerland cost a bt more than in the us :( )

Anyways today is/was a rainy day so we decited to stay home. My daughter took a nap so I was liek what should I do??? I know, take out all my extra pc stuff and see what I can do, so I found a heat sink with fan and decided to check out how the fan does, and to my surprise the sucker blows major air!!! so I put it under my gpu to blow more air to see if temps droped, and they did, so I thought why not replace the gpu fan with this bad boy. So I took out the gpu and noticed that I had to pull it apart to change fan so i though why not change the thermal paste while im at it. So i threw on some artic cooling mx-2, mounted the fan with some hot glue, its on pretty snug, hopefully it doesnt fall off... lol...20130910_154409.jpg (I hooked up the fan to my fan controller so that I can control it manually) SO I ran valley benchmark to see if there is any change in score & temps this is the first time last week valley benchmark.jpg and this is the new scorevalley benchmark new.jpg Also temps never went over 48c :)

Will elt you know with other games, im goint to try to install mw2 now
peace

JohnSheen

JohnSheen

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
That's great news gandalf :D a great pass time hobby :D modding your gpu ;)

I hope you find a new job as soon as this one ends :) And probably you may want to do some overclock in the following days ;) this can save you from a new gpu in fact while boosting your games and benchmark scores :)

And if anything goes wrong (which is a one in a million chance, when done correct), you were going to buy a new one anyway :D

Yeah I know, I am not american either, so its basically twice the american prices here in Turkey :D so I know what you mean :D

But let me tell you one thing, gtx560 is a great card and you probably don't have to replace it for same time if you do a decent overclock. Or just wait and see the new stuff AMD will bring hopefully in weeks :D

To see if your gpu is beginning to be outdated, just play Crysis 3, see how high you can set the graphs, and there you go, if you have a smooth gameplay while awesome graphics that are above mid-high section you really dont need another gpu :) for Crysis 3 is the only game in the world that taxes your system this much. Perhaps some simulation stuff requires heavy but they are nnot really playable :D

Play some more BF3 in the meantime and tell us if the problem occurs again :)

So ,
See you,
Take care
Have a nice day

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
hey john,

II started my passion for the pc just last year when I started playing bf3, use to be a cod fan... lol... not anymore ( no offense to anyone liking cod)Anyways earlier this year I wento to buy some ram from someone I emt online, and she had a bunch of PC stuff laying around that she didnt know what to do with it so she wanted to sell some and throw the rest away (it was her husbands who died a year before, he had a SUPER build!!!) I got like 3 mid size boxes of all kinds of stuff like fans, wires, lights, cables, etc etc... So I decided to pimp out my pc.
As for your idea to OC the gpu, I like it. Could you help me out with that, because I have no idea on how to do it.

Do you game? what do you play?

peace

JohnSheen

JohnSheen

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Wow that's great :D super lucky :D I wish I have the same luck :D If same thing happens to me I would probably be the dead husband whose pc got sold :D:D

Of course I would be delighted to help you with OC 'ing your gpu :) it's just a piece of cake once you get the overall idea ;) and with a build like that OC'ing your gpu will be a joy for you :)

You can start with downloading MSI Afterburner, maybe I made you download it I don't remember :D

MSI Afterburner Beta 14

So here is the link, you have the valley benchmark, if you downloaded MSI Afterburner you probably have the MSI Kombustor too. So no problem with the stress testing. But, one last thing necessary for OC'ing is Crysis 2 and Crysis 3 :D you probably going to kill me for C3 :D but it is a must have game for OC'ing because there is no other game today that loads your system as heavy as Crysis 3. Even more than the sytnhetic benchmarks like Valley or MSI Kombustor. So, if there is any instability in your card, C2 will tell you, but C3 will punch it in your face :D All of my benchmarks came off clean so far, they can be deceiving, but C3 and C2 never disappointed me :) Afterall, games like c3 are the real life scenario, if there is something wrong it is most probable to be show up in there, not in some simulation benchmark stress tests :) I never trust them actually :D

There are few things you have to check in MSI Afterburner settings, like;

- Extend official overclocking limits
- Start with windows
-Start minimized (optional)
-Unlock voltage control
-Unlock voltage monitoring
-Restore settings after suspended mode

from fan tab,

-Enable user defined fan control

from the main interface, in the left down corner, click on the little point "Apply overclocking at system startup"

and read some MSI Afterburner guides to have an overall idea on the controls etc. but it is really easy to get used to. you can create different profiles, but I never needed any profiles I just did the OC and applied it at the startup. Usually the when the card is idle it will use the least possible clock speeds so, no need for any profiles. Just set Profile 1 as your main profile and you will be fine.

Ok, it was long :D
Once you deal with the steps we can make quick OC tutorial and the rest is yours ;) so easy, you will be astonised by the results of OC ing. But please dont try OC without first I tell you how, because anything wrong can damage your card and it will be retarded till you replace it :D

See you,
Take care,
good night :)

oh, and as for the games, I usually play mmorpg's and single player FPS's I am not very good at Multiplayer :D:D so, dominating AI is more fun for me :D:D I also play some strategy but mostly RPG :) like Skyrim, Guild Wars 2, Titan Quest, The witcher series and Dragon Age, pretty much every good RPG out in the market :D:D

Edited by JohnSheen, 11 September 2013 - 12:52 PM.

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Hey John,

Got afterburner, I checked everything you said except I cant check :- Extend official overclocking limits msi.jpg

will read some guides now :)
As for the game I will see if the have any good sales ;) will let you know as soon as I get it :)

let me know what next step is

good night & thanks