Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Crash when playing video etc

• Please log in to reply

Njclark

Njclark

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
My computer crashes mostly when playing video.

No blue screen but instead the computer decides to just turn itself off. If I immediately try to restart the computer, it freezes while on start up and I can just faintly make out the windows xp 'start up' logo on an otherwise dark screen screen.

The only solution is to turn the computer completely off again, wait for 15 minutes, then everything seems to work fine again until I play a video.

Is this a memory issue and can it be fixed?

Many thanks

Nick

Advertisements

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Sounds more like a video card issue. Do you have a spare you can try?

You can test your memory with memtest.

Niyol

Niyol

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Hello
Something else to check for would be dust blocking intake of air to the cpu which would make it over heat and give similar happenings especially as you have to wait 15mins this would indicate to me something may be cooling down. If your confident open your pc if you see a build up of dust inside your pc you can get a can of compressed air from your local pc shop and give it a blow.
Run Speccy and look at the temp of the cpu inside your pc.
:thumbsup:

Edited by Niyol, 23 August 2013 - 02:45 AM.

Njclark

Njclark

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
The dreaded dust seems to have been the problem!

Running my computer to the max including programs and video constantly playing and no crashes to report. I can certainly recommend giving the inside a good blast once and a while with compressed air!

Thanks to all those that helped.

Nick

Niyol

Niyol

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Glad to help and glad you got it sorted :thumbsup: