Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BitCoin Miner defeats Kaspersky 2013 – Help Please [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Zenith-1

Zenith-1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
To give you an accurate answer, I would like to do a quick reboot....

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
For sure, if you need until tomorrow to play around with it then no problem :)

Zenith-1

Zenith-1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
OK Essexboy, A big THANK YOU for all your very kind & hard work. How you do what you do, I just don't know... But I do know it can't be easy & must be very tiring, reaming through all those boring endless screens of data. I thank you again for your help & support. Have a good evening down there in Cornwall (I'm in SE London) & a well deserved good rest. I'll pop by tomorrow & leave a note here to give you the feedback, but all seems well at the moment. Goodnight to you Essexboy, Bye for now :thumbsup:

Edited by Zenith-1, 23 August 2013 - 02:34 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
My pleasure, once you are happy I will remove my rubbish :)

If it is nice tomorrow I may go for a morning swim

Zenith-1

Zenith-1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hello Essexboy, I hope you enjoyed your swim… I've been taking the machine for a ‘test run’ and all seems well so far. :thumbsup:

But I must confess, I've had to reinstall the Hosts file filter... (I scanned it first)… It was only after removing an old, broken copy of Firefox and reinstalling the latest version, that I remembered how useful that Hosts file is & then reinstated it.

On testing the fresh install of Firefox I was constantly bombarded with a mass of pop-up adverts, cookies and very distracting visual junk adverts, on every webpage I visited. Along with the knowledge that all those thousands of rogue and dubious websites and their nasty little cookies and LSO's are now blocked from intrusion into my computer and my life.

Plus, my daily bandwidth is back down to around 100 - 200mb instead of 1.2 – 1.5gbt, although I’m on unlimited tariff, it all consumes the PC’s memory, speed & resources away from my own Apps & work. :P

I don’t do anything bad, but I resent & don’t want my life put under a microscope, lose my privacy & be controlled, manipulated & spied on, every time I go near a computer! :wacko:

I never use I/Explorer or Bing and Google & ‘memory hungry’ Chrome are next for the axe (and Microsoft’s ‘Roaming’ folder, I don’t want or need)… Replaced with ‘DuckDuckGo’ & Firefox & TOR etc. (I’ve also been exploring Linux, to get away from Microsoft). :lol:

In fact, if the NSA & GCHQ keep it up, I’m seriously thinking of pulling the plug on the Modem forever :surrender: … just using the PC as an electronic typewriter… and going back to ‘Pigeon Post’… as I value my privacy & want my life back… Between them all, they are ‘killing the Goose that laid the golden egg’... I built this machine for me… not for them. :angry:

Big Brother is turning us all in to ‘Slaves of the Machine’… while we mugs pay the very heavy price, in £££s & privacy, for the ‘privilege’ ???… There’s a lot to be said for the Simple Life… Oh, how I envy you, down in Cornwall LOL… (Years ago, I used to love going sea fishing, off the rocks by Polruan Castle, nr Fowey). :thumbsup:

The only way I’ve ever got my PC infected by only a handful of malware that I’ve had, is by being tricked into downloading underhandedly modified software that masquerades under a legitimate trade name or it uses a purposely confusing Installer, to covertly install its destructive or invasive payload.

The Internet web jungle is a highly complex & dangerous place to explore and full of clever & devious predators in one form or another :help: which we either somehow keep at bay or ’kill or get killed’ by :upset: … Seems we’ve been sucked in & place far too much trust & reliance on the dangerous ‘Pandora’s Box’ in our homes & lives. :huh:

However, judging by some of the other reports I see on the Geeks-to-Go website, compared to my PC’s logs, I’ve survived quite well and emerged from the jungle relatively unscathed (this time!) :blink: … I much admire you & your colleagues, for helping the other casualties.

Since the Bitcoin Miner problem that started back in May, I’ve had a problem with System Restore… It would just not restore the system. Obviously I tried that method to repair the machine. I don’t want to test or use System Restore now, as I don't want to risk undoing all your hard work… I’ll leave it for another day, after I have done a C-drive image backup.

Meantime, I thank you again & your colleagues for all your very kind help, support & patience. It is very greatly appreciated.

Good Luck & Take Care, my friend… bye for now, :thumbsup:

Zenith-1

Edited by Zenith-1, 25 August 2013 - 12:02 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
For the firefox ads, you have probably installed a rogue extension, lets check that

Please download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.
  • Right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator" the tool will open and start scanning your system
  • please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message.

Zenith-1

Zenith-1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
"On testing the fresh install of Firefox I was constantly bombarded with a mass of pop-up adverts" <<< That was before any extensions were installed... But I have downloaded & will run the file, as you request... Will post the result shortly......

Zenith-1

Zenith-1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Nothing too disastrous there, luckily... just the old references to installers for legit software 'foldericons' + 'hwmonitor' hardware monitor + 'Wondershare Video Converter' + the 'Ask Toolbar' & 4 empty folders. :thumbsup:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) by Thisisu
Version: 5.5.4 (08.22.2013:1)
Ran by Clark Kent on 25/08/2013 at 19:27:06.28

~~~ Services

~~~ Registry Values

~~~ Registry Keys

Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\wondershare
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Tracing\apnstub_rasapi32
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Tracing\apnstub_rasmancs
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Tracing\AskInstallChecker-1_RASAPI32
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Tracing\AskInstallChecker-1_RASMANCS
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Tracing\AskInstallChecker_RASAPI32
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Tracing\AskInstallChecker_RASMANCS
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Tracing\AskSLib_RASAPI32
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Tracing\AskSLib_RASMANCS
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Tracing\SoftonicDownloader_for_foldericons_RASAPI32
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Tracing\SoftonicDownloader_for_foldericons_RASMANCS
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Tracing\SoftonicDownloader_for_hwmonitor_RASAPI32
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Tracing\SoftonicDownloader_for_hwmonitor_RASMANCS

~~~ Files

~~~ Folders

Successfully deleted: [Empty Folder] C:\Users\Clark Kent\appdata\local\{4A9D1165-FF04-409D-A843-4BE8F286EA17}
Successfully deleted: [Empty Folder] C:\Users\Clark Kent\appdata\local\{A022A8F6-32D9-4FA8-B87A-82021E664010}
Successfully deleted: [Empty Folder] C:\Users\Clark Kent\appdata\local\{AD1150CA-71DE-489E-BAA8-0D72587A90F3}
Successfully deleted: [Empty Folder] C:\Users\Clark Kent\appdata\local\{E64B629F-5A03-4C14-B3C3-6C4984E4A1F1}

~~~ Event Viewer Logs were cleared

Scan was completed on 25/08/2013 at 19:32:28.83
End of JRT log

Edited by Zenith-1, 25 August 2013 - 01:10 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Are the popups still present ? Was the firefox install after a standard uninstall via control panel

Zenith-1

Zenith-1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi Essexboy,

No, the pop-ups are not present now.

Please bear in mind, that I have five browsers on this system. Internet Explorer, Chrome, Opera, Firefox and TOR… As far as I'm aware, they all rely on the Hosts file, as a Filter, except possibly the TOR browser (I'm not sure if that uses the Hosts file). I know TOR uses a portable version of Firefox, so maybe it does... Although technically not a browser, Paltalk has been installed for the last three years & uses IE & the Hosts file.

The old Firefox was uninstalled via the control panel ‘programs and features’, using the option to save my personal data… I then did a search for ‘Mozilla’ and another search for ‘Firefox’, systematically copying all the folders and files I found, into a holding folder on another H/Drive for safe storage / reference purposes, and held inactive (the registry and other programs would have no Path/link to them). The original Firefox installed folders & files on C/Drive were then deleted.

Two similar searches for 'Mozilla' and 'Firefox' were done in the Registry and I analysed everything found to ensure it wouldn't cause problems. Everything there, should match up with the new installation of Firefox. Anything that didn't match up would show up in Ccleaner, which they did. A backup copy of the registry entries in was also kept for analysis, just as a precaution. The entries shown by Ccleaner, were then deleted.

I needed the old folders that Firefox failed or was told not to remove during it’s uninstall routine, as I needed to extract a file called ‘places.sqlite’ database which contained my many folders and several hundreds of bookmarks from the old Firefox. This was then substituted into the new Firefox very successfully. This saved me many months of work and a lot of hassle, to regain those bookmarks.

Firefox is working 100% perfectly. So is the PC.

Edited by Zenith-1, 25 August 2013 - 06:28 PM.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Subject to no further problems :)

I will remove my tools now and give some recommendations, but, I would like you to run for 24 hours or so and come back if you have any problems

Now the best part of the day ----- Your log now appears clean :thumbsup:

A good workman always cleans up after himself so..The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset System Restore points:

Delete JRT from the desktop

Run OTL and hit the cleanup button. It will remove all the programmes we have used plus itself.

Clear Restore Points

Go Start > All Programmes > Accessories > System tools
Right click Disc Cleanup and select run as administrator
When it pops up at the first prompt select OK after it has done some calculations the tabs will appear
Select More Options tab
Press Sytem Restore and Shadow Copies Cleanup button

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programmes:

Malwarebytes.

Update and run weekly to keep your system clean

Download and install FileHippo update checker and run it monthly it will show you which programmes on your system need updating and give a download link

If you use on-line banking then as an added layer of protection install Trusteer Rapport

It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated. To keep your operating system up to date visit
To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read our little guide How did I get infected in the first place ?Keep safe :wave:

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.