Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Build Budget 2500.00

• Please log in to reply

Quiqzal

Quiqzal

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
First:
I wanted to thank everyone who helped and had the patience with all my questions with my last build that was around $900.00 "I am moving on up" ages self. :lol:

Secondly:
A couple questions kinda in regards to the build: If you had the option between investing in an Apple desktop or PC Build which would you recommend? I currently do not own an Apple, my roommate has a desktop so I understand the problem at times finding programs and games that work with Apple but still think about purchasing one.

I have also thought about about buying one say Apple Laptop and Build a PC or Purchase both Apple Desktop and PC Laptop or should I simply bypass Apple all together.? I think I know the answer but sometimes hearing from others...help.

Thirdly:
Would be a good investment to buy a gaming laptop? Not really sure if they can match a desktop for everything from simple shooters to full online mmorpg's.

Finally onto the build......

The budget is $2500.00
Intel or AMD previous builds were AMD the latest was Intel.

Example of USES:

I am an avid gamer, video and audio recording/editing,DAZ, listen to music, work from home.

I look forward to hearing ideas on builds and such not.

Thank you in advance for beginning to help me.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday Quiqzal, welcome back.

I have no experience with Apple, so unable to give any advice. As for laptop vs Dessktop, for w workstation type build, I would go for the desktop, gives you more for your money, betterperformance and is not limited for expansion of HDDs.

The system specs for DAZ appear not too demanding but am unable to determine if multiple drives are useful, IE. scratch disks/RAID setup, can you give any advice?
What program/s do you use for music editing?
Will you be using your existing monitor?

JohnSheen

JohnSheen

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
If I were you, I wouldn't even think about investing in an apple desktop, unless all your job is to photoshop, or edit videos etc. My advice to you that, if you are interested in rendering media, playing games and enjoying movies at the same time, I would invest in an Nvidia gpu, so that the editing and rendering would be solved, since their CUDA core technology is way better than any other gpu in means of rendering. And they can provide you with powerful gaming experience. I myself am a AMD fanboy :) but still if this is the case you should buy an Nvidia gpu, Titan or GTX780/770 should do well, both with gaming and rendering.

And as for the laptops, if you are not traveling much or living in a university campus that you need your laptop most of the time with you, I strongly suggest you to go for Desktop PC 's. Since their upgrades are cheaper, easier and the components will be much faster.

I can give you further advice on components if you will tell me what kind of games and editing you like to do, so I can help further I hope.

Peace till then :)

Quiqzal

Quiqzal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I will be buying a new monitor to go with the new build and think it is time for a larger screen.

I was an avid gamer since 04 on City of Heroes most recently. In the past if it was online I more than likely Beta tested and/or played I was an Star Wars Galaxies addicted running 3 screens, EQ from the days of more off time then on, Anarchy Online, EVE, WoW, D&D, so many more.

But with the loss of CoH I am awaiting that next best game with great character design. I may head into the new Next EQ. I also play games and their expansions like Diablo, Hitman, SIMS 3, Call of Duty, Fall Out, World of Warcraft etc. I will be delving into SIMS 4 when it hits the shelves and hope to find a great online game once more.

I do use DAZ 3D, Photoshop, Dragon, Anime Studio and of course misc standard programs.

I will be grabbing up a Laptop as well I am disabled and sometimes just cannot be on the PC. In addition I do alot of Freelance writing and it just makes sense to have a laptop handy...and wouldnt hurt if I could play some games that maybe graphics heavy.

I was a strong AMD fan as well until this last build that I used intel.

Thank you again.

JohnSheen

JohnSheen

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hello again Quizcal,

I think I understand what kind of a build you seek. But, let me tell you one thing, If you are also looking for a laptop that can handle games with high grapichs quality, then may be, you should be looking for a powerful laptop, I mean with that budget you can't have a fast laptop and a fast desktop configuration that can yields great performance. Designed for your interests, there are Alienware Laptops, well they are top notch and your budget definitely covers a great one.

Here is what I found on their site, you can also build your own I can help you with that as well, but as far as I can see it has GTX 780, 16GB RAM, and the screen is wide as [bleep] :D 18.4 inch for a laptop, well these ones are like portable desktops :)

Alienware 18 Laptop link

Take a look at their products, there is also a brand called Monster, also designed for heavy studio and gaming jobs, but I don't know If they are sold in US, I couldn't find a valid US site for monster, so if you can find have a look at them.

Also, dell xps series are very good quality, I can say they are second to Alienware (which is also a Dell brand, they bought Alienware couple of years ago).

Also :) there is MSI laptops, they are cool too, here is a link to their top gaming product, also in limits of your budget,

MSI GE 70 product link

But of course Alienware is the best and I would go for it. Too bad they don't ship their products to Turkey :D

That's it my friend hope I could help you sort things out for your future computer, If you are still interested in building a Desktop PC, I can continue helping you build that too ;)

Take care, peace :)

Quiqzal

Quiqzal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

I mean with that budget you can't have a fast laptop and a fast desktop

Guess I did not post that well...I have a 2500 budget for the PC Build and need help with good parts and such.

I also, have a 2500 budget for a laptop. This area I was more looking for some names or brands that you all out there might know of.

Sorry for that confusion, blaming it on the 101 heat. :P

JohnSheen

JohnSheen

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
oH THAT's FANTASTIC no problem at all :D ok for laptops you should defnitely check out Alienware ones.

Now, that sorted, we can now start forming a desktop pc build with you then ;)

First of all, what are your preferences for cases, Midtower or full tower?

Will you be mostly playing games? or making some rendering jobs.

And please choose a laptop before we start your Desktop build, so that we can see how much money left for the Desktop after you purchase your laptop ;) that's important :) at least for me :D I must guarantee you have the best components suitable for your interests. And sometimes all it need is just a 100 bucks more :)

As I said before, I can help you with laptops too, but please sort the laptop business out first :D

Hope this helps,
Waiting for your reply ;)
Peace

Quiqzal

Quiqzal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I saw a brand I am not familiar with today.

MSI

prices seemed ok.

I have been tempted looking at the Alienware 18. I know the price is high but if its a extremely good laptop I might increase my budget.

LOL I guess I was reading raccoon when you made your post LOL

Edited by Quiqzal, 18 September 2013 - 06:30 AM.

Quiqzal

Quiqzal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
How many laptops are you going to buy by the way? 2
My partner decided she would like a gaming laptop over a new pc ..She is going to get my last build.

Still going to need help in building one later on when the new tech comes out.

Now here is a kicker...and questions on AlienWare.

Is the difference between 17 and 18 screen other than obvious? I know big difference in price. Speaking of price changing the video card with the recommended almost jumps 1k.

Is it worth to purchase one of the highest Alienware? T

The site is a lil confusing as you go from page 1 to 2 and from 16 17 18 because of the equipment within not only changes but appear to remain the same even as you upgrade.

We saw the Asus you showed and they have it instock at our local MicroCenter for around 2500.00 Where I think the Alienware work ups are around 3500.00 lol.

My partner began perking up as we looked at the ability to upgrade and trade in program with AlienWare.

I looked at a couple others I saw recommended but as they bad mouth Alienware what they put up low end is 3k.