Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with controlling wireless conn. and more

• Please log in to reply

Trobinson

Trobinson

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I first suspected my problem was something to do with a virus/malware, but it wasn't seen here in this thread.
http://spywarewarrior.com/viewtopic.php?p=231500#231500
I was then suggested to come here but I wasn't at first, I just planned to dump my computer and dread all the way through program installs and album artwork. Then another problem arose, I can't access USB drives. So I have the same problems from the spywarewarrior site and so far the only program I found that I can't open is Paint.net, although I haven't tried many only mspaint, firefox and aim. This computer is running Windows Xp.

Edited by Trobinson, 23 August 2013 - 12:25 PM.

Advertisements

Niyol

Niyol

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Hi If it's malware you need to post here
Make sure to post an OTL log with a description of your problem :thumbsup:

Trobinson

Trobinson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hi If it's malware you need to post here
Make sure to post an OTL log with a description of your problem :thumbsup:

It's not malware I wrote that in the first line.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I read through your Spywarewarrior thread, but I'm not sure what exactly is wrong. I think you have several.

Wireless network problems
Can't access USB drives
Some programs won't run (one?)

I believe you said you have Windows XP Media Center, but no install disk. You do have two backup DVDs you burned though.

Let's try to fix your problems. If not, then you can use the backup discs to restore your computer and go from there.

For the USB problem: USB DEVICES - How to delete all (resolves some USB problems), Windows Made Easy

Can you explain more about the wireless network problem please.

Trobinson

Trobinson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok, the wireless part. If I put the laptop into standby, turn off the wireless connection either in Network Connections or with the manual switch on the face of my laptop the icon on the task bar won't change indicting a signal lose and if I mouse over it, it will mention something about an access point. Turning the wireless connection back on will not allow me to connect to the internet. I have to restart or turn off the computer.

The USB thing. I have two usb devices handy which are a thumb drive and a portable hard drive. If I plug either one in into any free usb slot the sound will ring but the auto play window doesn't pop up. I can't access the device at all. I found a way, although I don't know how good this method is, first I plug in the device, wait for the sound, right click My Computer, click Manage, then Disk Management. In Disk Management I can see the device. From there I just right click the drive and hit open and it popups in a new window. Funny part about this I have a wireless mouse and I leave the dongle plugged into the computer all the time and it still works...

I only tried Paint.net to edit a screen capture, that's what doesn't work. I can click more programs to see if they run if you want me too.

Worst case scenario restoring system, I never used those discs, my computer also has a factory restore option hidden in a secret partition (PQSERVICE) that I have used before. Which is what I wanted to do after I found out I did not have a virus/malware, but I couldn't backup my documents.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Try following the info I gave you to fix the USB problem.

Did the wireless ever work right or have you always had this problem? If yes then try rolling back the driver for the wireless to an earlier version. How To Use the Roll Back Driver Feature in Windows XP

If that doesn't help, open Power Options in Control Panel and change the setting for Wireless to not go to low power mode so it remains fully active, see if that helps.

Lastly, see if there is a newer driver for your wireless device.

What is the full model number of your Toshiba laptop?

Trobinson

Trobinson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Tried the USB fix, reinstalled drivers same issue. Device loads with no "normal" access.

Wireless did work, as well as everything else until roughly this past Monday. Before then nothing seemed out of the ordinary for me to suspect any problems. Wireless driver didn't have anything to rollback to or update to. Power Options only has Wireless LAN On/Off and does not stay in the on position after hitting apply.

I have a Acer Aspire 5100-3583 running Windows Xp Media Center Edition

Here's a quick recap of what's not working so you don't have to go to the other site to read,
Wireless doesn't work after hibernating, standby or turning off wireless connection in control panel
Themes (in services.msc) stops randomly forcing the task bar and other buttons into Windows Classic style
Wireless Zero Configuration (in services.msc) stops randomly making "windows cannot configure wireless connection"
wuaueng.dll Generic Host Process error at every startup (http://postimg.org/image/ugn2610d5/)
Some programs don't run.

Edited by Trobinson, 24 August 2013 - 11:28 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Do you have a System Restore point that would take you back to before Monday? Maybe go back to the Friday before?

Any chance you could borrow a XP Media Center CD from a friend? Would be great if you could run sfc /scannow to check for missing or corrupted system files.

I'd also like to see exactly what error shows in the dumps. Could you zip up the last 5 or so and upload and attach them here? They will be in C:\Windows\minidump.

Trobinson

Trobinson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Last system restore I can pick is Sunday. Will try after this post and the earliest restore point failed. Don't know anyone with an install cd, people that have/had XP usually had it pre-installed such as my case. Sfc /scannow runs but wants a cd, the only cd I can get a hold of is Xp Pro which doesn't work (maybe the SP is old on disc?). The minidump folder is empty.

Edited by Trobinson, 25 August 2013 - 08:59 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
The XP Pro CD would probably work but it's at the wrong service pack level. You are at SP3 and the CD is probably SP1 or SP2, that's why it won't work. If you want, you can try creating a XP Pro install CD slipstreamed with SP3 then try sfc again.

How to create XP CD slipstreamed with SP3:

The simplest way to create a Bootable Windows XP Pro or Home Installation CD Slipstreamed with SP3 is to use Autostreamer. You point to your XP Pro/Home CD, the SP3 Service Pack .exe file, give it a path to write the .iso file to and off it goes. In 5 or 10 minutes you have a .iso file that you can burn to CD with almost any CD burner program you want to use. I use a freeware burner called ImgBurn for this. If you use ImgBurn, pay attention during the install so you don't get any unwanted additional programs installed.

Here is the link to Autostreamer

You can download the SP3 .exe here: Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers

If you have an original XP Install CD with no Service Pack applied, not even SP1a then you will need to do the above in two steps. First you will have to splistream SP2 then repeat for SP3.

You can download SP2 .exe here: Windows XP Service Pack 2 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers

No guarantee this will fix your problems but might be worth a try.

Also, please post a full screen snapshot of Disk Management.

To open Disk Management, press Windows key+r, type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter or click GO. Make it full screen.

CAPTURE - How to capture screen images (screen shots), Windows Made Easy

Use the Browse and Attach This File buttons below the text input area while using the Full editor to upload and insert here.

Trobinson

Trobinson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Made the slipstreamed cd, run sfc and it finished without a cd inserted nor asking for one. Restarted the computer after watching the sfc finish but I don't believe it did anything, the pop-up is still there. Snapshot is attached like you asked.
Disk Management.PNG

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Time to backup your data. Copy everything you don't want to lose to a flash drive, external hard driuve or burn to CD/DVD.

Use the PQSERVICE partition to restore to factory state once your dats is backed up.

Trobinson

Trobinson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I figured I would have to do that, in fact I mentioned it in post #5, but I was waiting to see if you found a solution.

Edited by Trobinson, 27 August 2013 - 08:29 PM.