Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Step-by-step interactive training - do I need it?

• Please log in to reply

Plutox

Plutox

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
I have just found in Add/Remove just the two security updates for this app.(KB898458 & 923723)

Googling this and in many forums I see only discussion of the security aspects of it and nothing why anyone has it unless needed.

I see nothing else on my machine about the app except these 2 security updates - why have I got them and can I just remove them without any problems?

Thanks for advice.

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
These two KB's point to the same thing Plutox.

Read them here.

http://technet.micro...lletin/ms05-031

And here.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923723

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Thanks but they say nothing about if I need them - that's my question. I have no idea how I got them or why when to my knowledge I don't have this app.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Thanks but they say nothing about if I need them - that's my question. I have no idea how I got them or why when to my knowledge I don't have this app.

Hi,

Both updates are Security Updates and not optional, if Windows Update was offered them to install in your computer that means it has vulnerable and need them.

Edit: On this article there are instructions for manual remove of the program...

Edited by SleepyDude, 24 August 2013 - 05:38 AM.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
But aren't they updates for Step-by-step interactive training which I don't have? That's why I am confused as to why I got those security updates. I have not seen any info on their connection with any other of Windows OS.

Perhaps they do have such a connection - can you confirm this please?

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
I don't think I have them on any of my other 3 XP computers - I'll check later.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
"Edit: On this article there are instructions for manual remove of the program.."

Sorry to repeat but I do not have this program. Those instructions and all other MS ones on this do not address only having the security updates and do they have any connection to other parts of Windows.

And how I got them remains a mystery.

I think I probably can remove them or not without problems. Thanks to all responders.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Whether you have the program or not I would keep them.

The size of the files will be meaningless.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Yes I agree.