Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Website meetme.com not loading as before

• Please log in to reply

jecm254

jecm254

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I normally access this website (www.meetme.com) on a Windows XP computer using Firefox, but for the past week it is loading with only text-type hotlinks. I have tried different browsers (Google Chrome, Internet Explorer) and have also tried all 3 browsers on a Windows 7 computer, all with the same results.
I am on the latest version of Firefox and I have run 2 different anti-virus, anti-malware programs and still I get the same result.
I don't think it's a problem with the website itself, but somehow a problem with my connection to it.
Does anyone have any idea why this happened and what I can do to fix it?

Attached File  meetme.bmp   1.7MB   497 downloads

Advertisements

Niyol

Niyol

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Hi I would try to remove all temp files and clear the cache here's how in the links below.
Clear cache
other temp files
If that fails try flushing your DNS here's how:
Click on the start menu and type cmd in the text area.
Right click on the Icon and select Run as administrator.
A black box will open this is the cmd box aka command prompt.
Type ipconfig /flushdns
Press Enter and it will flush the DNS

Let me know how you get on :thumbsup:

Edited by Niyol, 24 August 2013 - 05:04 PM.

jecm254

jecm254

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks for the quick reply.

I have processed your suggestions on the Windows XP computer (that's the one I'm using to write this now), but to no avail. I even ran through them 3 times - twice before restarting, then again after restarting this computer, but that website still shows up the same way.
I have not yet attempted your suggestions on the Windows 7 computer, but somehow I don't think the problem will be fixed there, either.

Did you try to access that website to make sure that it's okay?
Do you have any other ideas?

Niyol

Niyol

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Sorry that didn't work here's a few other things to try.
The web page shows OK for me from 3 locations on 3 different PCs.
Have you tried running Ccleaner? This will remove temp files also. But just run the Cleaner option and NOT the Registry option as this may have adverse effects on your machine it's never good to delete bits of the registry unless you really know what your doing.
I would try changing my https://developers.g...dns/docs/using' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>DNS. This is a link to Google DNS but you can try others such as Open DNS, Comodo DNS are a few other options and if that has no effect then I would try resetting my router.
Normally when this type of thing happens clearing the cache solves it.
Can you see the web page OK from a different computer?

If none of that works lets try this.
Copy and paste the script below into notepad

@Echo off
pushd\windows\system32\drivers\etc
attrib -h -s -r hosts
echo 127.0.0.1 localhost>HOSTS
attrib +r +h +s hosts
popd
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /flushdns
netsh winsock reset all
netsh int ip reset all
cls
echo Script finished.
pause
del %0

In notepad click File and then Save as. Type reset.bat for the file name. Change Save as Type to All Files, and then save the file to your desktop. After the file is saved, double-click on the file to open it. Once it's finished running, restart your PC and see if you can see the Web page now every thing has been reset.

:thumbsup:

jecm254

jecm254

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I've had a busy week, so not much time to deal with this.
So far, I've done a couple of system restores, which did not help, so I undid them.
Today I tried changing the DNS, which also did not help.

I get the same website layout on my other computer (Windows 7), so perhaps it's my router?
Tomorrow I will try changing the DNS on my router.

What does the script do? I am nervous about running it until I understand the ramifications.

Niyol

Niyol

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Hi that's OK :)
In short the script resets your internet settings to default, please feel free to have anyone check it out, I won't be offended.
First off try resetting your router to default settings.
If that does not work try changing the DNS.
And if that doesn't work then have you another router to try?

:thumbsup:

jecm254

jecm254

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I did try various suggestions, including resetting my router and changing the DNS. I was going to try connecting this computer directly to my cable modem, but never got around to it due to other priorities.

However - today, for whatever reason, that website is now appearing normally again. I have not changed anything from yesterday to today, so either my ISP changed something or that website changed something.

In any case, it's working again and I thank you for all of your kind efforts to help me.

christine222

christine222

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I have windows 10 and the meet me isnt working very well what could it be?