Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

only 3.5 GB out of 681GB free on my hard drive [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts
Hi Rich :)

I have CDs to copy folders.

:thumbsup:

I'm not worried about my tax documents. I'd feel safer just eliminating them when we wipe the C drive.

As long as you're sure ~ there's no going back!

My favorite pictures are on an external hard drive so I'm fine with that.

Excellent! :thumbsup: Make sure you unhook this when asked during the format/reinstall process.

I can copy documents on CDs. Reinstalling Firefox is fine no bookmarks.

:thumbsup:

I can back up everything manually, just in case, and erase later if I choose

1) Backup all your important data files, pictures, music, work etc... and save it onto the external hard-drive. These files usually include .doc, .txt, .mp3, .jpg etc...

2) Do not backup any executable files or any windows files. These include .exe's, .scr, .com, .pif etc... as they may contain traces of malware. Also, .html or .htm files that are webpages should also be avoided.

I'm concerned that when I copy files to the CDs I will be copying a virus along with the info I'm saving. Is this a concern?

No. You're copying music, documents and pictures, they are very unlikely to be infected. Remants are all that is left, I'm sure. The damage done to your OS by the malware is what we're aiming to correct here by reinstalling it.

I will be backing up everything on Wednesday and will let you know when I have finished.

Great! :thumbsup: Let me know when you're ready, I'll get ready on my end :)

There might be a complication: My D drive (Recovery) has only 2.05GB free of 16.6GB, is this a problem? My C drive has 636 GB free of 681 GB.

No. Drive D is the Recovery Partition on the same hard drive.
What we are doing is a Factory Reset: Factory Reset removes all partitions (except the RecoveryPartition) reformats the entire rest of the hard drive, reinstalls the original operating system, and reinstalls all the original hardware drivers and software.

The Factory Reset option returns all of the software to the condition it was in at the time of purchase. All user changes or additions are removed. When we do this, your whole Drive C will be formatted.
Now: if there's a problem with the existing recovery partition, then we'll have to make alternate plans. That can be done ~ you will need your OS key for that though just so you're aware. Hopefully all will go well and we won't have to do that. If not, it's cool. We'll get it one way or the other ;)

Size on disk says 3.16 GB

Which is 3.16 GB on disk?

I'm ready to wipe my C drive. I have made a copy (4 CDs worth) my operating system. I have copied all my docs and pictures. Not to concerned about bookmarks.

Rich? Your OS is corrupted. Keep the CDs on the side, but you're not to use them. Likely they will and should be tossed. When we're done, we'll copy your OS with the Clean Operating System. Then you'll have a clean copy on CDs ;)

Ok, looks like you're ready :)
I'll post back instructions soon as I can. Sorry for the delay, work took my time.

Advertisements

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
23red,
No rush, work comes first. 3.16GB is the amount of space I need to back up my personal files, no big deal. I await your instructions. Let's do this.
Thanks for everything,
Rich

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts
:thumbsup: Thanks for that info, I thought it was your personal files but I had to make sure ~ I'm almost ready, should be posting the instructions shortly ;)

Thanks for everything

You are very welcome :D
Anytime ;)

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts

Sorry for the delay!
You'll have a chance to backup as I showed you before. Please read thru everything before you start.
You may want to print these instructions as you won't have access to here while you're doing this.

Ok, here we go. Let's do this:

Perform the following steps to start a system recovery from the Windows 7 start menu:

1. Turn off the computer.

2. Disconnect all connected devices and cables such as Personal Media Drives, USB drives, printers, and faxes. Remove media from internal drives, and remove any recently added internal hardware. Do not disconnect the monitor, keyboard, mouse, or power cord .

3. Turn on the computer.

4. Click the Start orb ~> All Programs ~> Recovery Manager , and then click Recovery Manager again.

If you are prompted for an Administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. If a User Account Control window asks if you want to allow the program to make changes to the computer, click Yes .

Figure 1: Recovery Manager

Posted Image

5. Under I need help immediately , click System Recovery .

6. The Recovery Manager asks if you want to restore the computer to its original factory shipped condition. Click Yes , and then click Next .

Figure 2: Recovery Manager confirmation screen

Posted Image

7. The computer restarts. If the recovery partition on the hard disk drive is functioning correctly, the Recovery Manager window appears.

NOTE:If the recovery partition on the hard disk drive is not functioning correctly, a set of recovery discs is needed to run a system recovery. If this does not work correctly, please stop here and let me know. We'll make alternate plans.

Figure 3: Recovery Manager after restart

Posted Image

8. Click System Recovery .

9. When System Recovery prompts you to back up your files, select a backup option:

• If you have already backed up personal files or you do not want to back up personal files, select Recover without backing up your files , and then click Next . Continue with Step 10 below.

If you want to back up your personal files, follow these steps to create a backup.

Figure 4: Recovery Manager: Back up your files first

Posted Image

One:

Select Back up your files first (recommended) , and then click Next .

Two:

Select the file types to back up, and then click Next .

Figure 5: File Backup window

Posted Image

Three:

Recovery Manager scans the computer for storage devices. Select the storage device to save the backup, and then click Next .

NOTE:If you selected a CD or DVD drive, the computer prompts you to insert a blank disc.

Figure 6: Choose backup location

Posted Image

Four.

When Recovery Manager is finished backing up files, remove the backup disc or storage device, and then click Next to continue with the recovery process.

NOTE: If the backup process fails, make sure the capacity of the storage device is large enough to store the files, or try de-selecting some file types to reduce the amount of files that are copied. Other reasons for failed backups might be caused by file corruption. In some cases, it might not be possible to save files using this backup method.

10. Click OK in the warning that appears.

11. After the system recovery is complete, click Finish to restart the computer. Complete the setup screens and wait until the computer finishes the setup.

12. Once the setup is complete, turn off the computer, reconnect all devices and cables, and then turn on the computer.

13. Before using the computer, Update your Computer.
Go to Windows Update and check for and install any recommended Updates.
If any important updates are found, click the link to view available updates.
In the list of updates, select Service Pack for Microsoft Windows (KB976932), and then click OK.
Install this first then go back after it's complete and do the rest if there are any.

Then Protect your Computer.
Reinstall any other security software that was installed before the system recovery: Norton, WinPatrol, Malwarebytes Free version, etc.

14. Reinstall any software programs that were added after purchasing the computer, as well as any files that were backed up.

15. Please post back here and let us know how it went :thumbsup: Then we'll help you make good backup CDs ;)

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
23red,
I will read and print before proceeding. I will start system recovery on Sunday. Will I need to disconnect my Wi-Fi? Will we be able to communicate if I have trouble doing this?
Thanks for all your help (and patience with this newbie)
Rich

Edited by 1324, 18 January 2014 - 06:59 PM.

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts
:thumbsup: You're very welcome.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
23red,
I edited post #170. I added 2 questions.
zrich

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts

Will I need to disconnect my Wi-Fi? Will we be able to communicate if I have trouble doing this?

No. Your Wi-Fi will be fine, you do not need to do anything with it.
As for communication do you still have your iPad? You can use that if need, but I think you'll do ok!
It's not too difficult! You got this :thumbsup:
Do expect atleast 4 hours to completion. Just so you don't worry it's taking so long.

Rich? Please don't edit your posts. It makes it confusing especially if we're posting at the same time and I'm answering the original ;) Better for you to make another post.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
23red,
I made it to step 13 with no problems. I have 134 Windows Updates and 7 optional updates but no update that is Service Pack for Microsoft Windows (KB976932). The "highest" KB I found was Service Pack 2 (KB973688). Please advise. We're almost done!!!!!!
Thanks,
Rich

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts

I made it to step 13 with no problems.

Excellent work! :thumbsup: I told you you could do it! Great job! :D

I have 134 Windows Updates and 7 optional updates but no update that is Service Pack for Microsoft Windows (KB976932). The "highest" KB I found was Service Pack 2 (KB973688). Please advise.

Can you verify for me first that Service Pack 1 is installed, please:

Click on Start ~> Right click on Computer select Properties

If what we're looking for is installed, you should see under Windows Edition Windows 7 Home Premium, with Service Pack 1 under it.
Does it say Service Pack 1, Rich?
If it does, continue with the Updates.
If not, please let us know ~ Thank you!

Advertisements

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
23red,
Yes, it says Service pack 1 under Windows Home Premium.
I will proceed downloading 134 updates.
Rich

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts
Hi Rich :D

Yes, it says Service pack 1 under Windows Home Premium

Yay!! Success! Excellent news :thumbsup:

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
23red,
Almost, one update failed:
Cumulative security update for internet explorer 9 for Windows 7 for x64-based systems (KB2898785).
Please advise.
Thanks,
Rich

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts

Almost, one update failed:
Cumulative security update for internet explorer 9 for Windows 7 for x64-based systems (KB2898785).

What version of Interner Explorer is installed? To check:

Open Internet Explorer
Click on Help
Then click on About Internet Explorer
What version is shown?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
23red,
Internet Explorer 11
Rich