Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking & sharing

• Please log in to reply

serida

serida

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Bought a Win 8 laptop for my sister that I spent a couple of months configuring to give it a Win 7 theme as she is not up with new systems. When she received it she was able to go online immediately with no problem.
I myself, have XP & 7 so am not that familiar with 8.
Using Team Viewer to access her machine I got her to click on networking & sharing. On my Win 7 I am in a home network but in her Win 8 hers is described as private. I have never seen that before, is that unique to Win 8? The other issue is that I bought this laptop as her Win 7 machine has problems with powering up & therefore is left on continuously until a repair can be carried out.
These two machines are side by side. I got her to open computer on Win 8 & she received a prompt to enter the password for her HP machine, (the other one) She will never need to access that machine so is there a way of removing that one?
They are both used for Internet access & wish to keep it like that but not to gain access to the machine that has a fault. I am not sure if I should make myself clearer but to be honest I don’t know how else to describe it.
Thank you

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts
Hi,

I'm not sure I understand your question... If you want to disable access to the machine by File and Print Sharing check this Microsoft article
Enable file and printer sharing

To disable turn off the options they should be on right now.

serida

serida

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Thank you SleepyDude for your reply.
Apologies I had not made myself clear. I was somewhat confused when I posted. If I get my sister to turn off file sharing should that computer disappear from her windows 8 machine, I think that is the task I want to achieve.
The other issue was about the networking & sharing. Does it differ in Win 8 compared to Win 7? Her Win 7 is in the homegroup but her Win 8 machine states it is a private network.

Thank you

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Apologies I had not made myself clear. I was somewhat confused when I posted. If I get my sister to turn off file sharing should that computer disappear from her windows 8 machine, I think that is the task I want to achieve.

Most likely the machine will not go away from the list but if you try to access it will not work.
I'm not sure where you are seen the name of the other machine... try to select the icon and delete see if it works for you.

The other issue was about the networking & sharing. Does it differ in Win 8 compared to Win 7? Her Win 7 is in the homegroup but her Win 8 machine states it is a private network.

Its the same on Windows 7 and Windows 8. If the Windows 7 show as Homegroup it means the computer is part of a Homegroup with another machine(s).
How To Disable or Enable the Homegroup Feature in Windows 7

serida

serida

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
What puzzles me is why her Win 8 machine shows as a private network, I have never seen that description before.
When she received the machine she simply went online, she did not touch the network & sharing centre.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

What puzzles me is why her Win 8 machine shows as a private network, I have never seen that description before.
When she received the machine she simply went online, she did not touch the network & sharing centre.

Every time you connect to a different network windows will ask to set the network location unless someone check the box on the image after selecting a location.
Posted Image

serida

serida

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Thanks SleepyDude for your reply.
Everything now appears to be fine.
Thank you once again for your help.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper