Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freezing, safe mode only, CWSinstaller.exe alert

• Please log in to reply

UnderSiege

UnderSiege

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Hi Geeks (again)

I'm in need of your help again. Within the last week, my desktop has become increasingly unstable and prone to freezing, and needs a power-down to recover.

Now, I can only boot into Safe Mode. I have attempted a system restore to a point in time (before windows update) where it appeared to be working ok, but no success. Some possibly related incidents:

• During latest virus scan, Avast alerted to CWSInstaller.exe in 2 locations, and this was sucessfully quarrantined
  • I have run sfc / scannow. - no issues
  • I ran SpeedFan and found core 0 temp about 54 deg C. I 've opened up the tower and vacuumed out any dust, cleaned all the CPU cooling fins, which were nearly blocked. This has reduced core 0 to 46 deg C
  • It may be related to a previous thread of mine here http://www.geekstogo...are-or-hardware/page__st__30__p__2089785__fromsearch__1#entry2089785 Previously, Macboatmaster helped me on this thread.
  • Sometimes, during a normal boot sequence, I get the desktop, but this is followed by this dialogues box: "Logon process has failed to create the security options dialogue"
  • In safe mode, I have scanned with Malware Bytes with no alerts
I'd be very grateful for any assistance again.

UnderSiege

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello UnderSiege

First of all if it becomes apparent that the problem is malware related we will need to stop work on this topic and redirect you over to the malware forums.

We need some system information so run Speccy and post the url for us please.

As an asides UnderSiege you should not use a hoover to clean out a computer as hoovers generate static and this can hose your computer hardware.

UnderSiege

UnderSiege

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Hi phillpower2,

Thanks for picking up this thread. I fully understand your note regarding possible malware.

Here is the Speccy link: (though strangely it is published in Spanish!)

http://speccy.pirifo...iTFbWJJ1oggVwcV

Thanks for the tip about hoovers: luckily, for simple ease of access, I had removed the CPU cooling fan and heat sink from the motherboard before I hoovered it.

Undersiege

UnderSiege

UnderSiege

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Sorry - I just published the example :whistling:

Standby ....

UnderSiege

UnderSiege

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Speccy crashed out with the following dialogue box:

"CPU dll init failed (error 2)! Some information will not be displayed "

Then Speccy asked if I was content to send an error report to Piriform. I agreed.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Ok a fair bit to do so do the two quickest first please;

Go to Start then to Run
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On the left side click on Disk Management
On the right side you will see your hard drive.
Now I need you to take an expanded screenshot and attach it to your next reply.

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Depending on the results we may need to run further software for comparison http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Go to Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y

If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for an hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS

This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will hopefully boot the system back into Windows.

:oops: I never noticed your last 2 replies, please see below;

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page) thank you for understanding.

Edited by phillpower2, 25 August 2013 - 10:07 AM.
Topic updated

UnderSiege

UnderSiege

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
My apologies for not using the correct protocols for amending a post. I can see what you mean.

Here is the Disk Managment screen shot:

Hard-disk-pict.jpg

And here is the SpeedFan screen shot:

Speedfan1.jpg

Do you want me start the chkdsk process now?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
No harm done :thumbsup:

The HDD looks healthy + I notice that the EISA Configuration is still present, this contains the diagnostic tools so I suggest you run them before chkdsk as it is quicker, restart the computer and keep pressing F12 and you should then be able to run the tests.

The +3.3V rail on the PSU is reading as being too low so can you also run HWMonitor and provide the results for us.

UnderSiege

UnderSiege

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
I tried twice to launch the EISA diagnostics using F12 without success.

Here is the HWMonitor screenshot:

HWMon1.jpg

I will start the Chkdsk /r and post back when that has finished.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

The HWMonitor results tell us nothing and as the EISA diagnostics will not run you are right to run Chkdsk /r now, good luck.

Advertisements

UnderSiege

UnderSiege

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Chkdsk run through and then the system tried to boot to Windows normally with resultant black screen.

I have looked in event viewer to find chkdsk results but couldn't find anything. Maybe not looking in the right places.

All looking a bit grim at the moment....

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
As a precautionary measure can I ask you to follow the GTG malware redirect text below;

Please read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Good luck.

UnderSiege

UnderSiege

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Thanks for your help so far. :thumbsup:

I will follow your instructions, but I have a feeling I'll be back .....

UnderSiege

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
You are welcome and no worries we will be here if you need to return :thumbsup:

UnderSiege

UnderSiege

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Hi phillpower2

I'm back from the Malware forum with a clean bill of health and an excellent job done by RKinner who sorted out masses of stuff. If you are interested, the thread is here:

http://www.geekstogo..._1#entry2326168

I note your concern about the low voltage on the 3.3V rail, but this doesn't seem to be causing any problems. And all the symptoms have now gone, so unless you want me to try anything, then I am happy to close to this thread as well. :thumbsup:

Undersiege