Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Solved: no video on download of .AVI file

• Please log in to reply

shimakaze

shimakaze

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have been sent links to 2 video clips (.AVI files) held on the Google website. I should like to have access to those videos even when I do not have Internet access so have tried to download them onto my computer (a Dell 1525 running 28-bit Windows Vista). When I try to download, I initially get a warning that "Google can't scan this file for viruses". I click "Download anyway" and the file then appears to download correctly and completely viz the donwloaded file is the same size as the original (53.8MB). However when I try to play back the downloaded file using Windows Media Player, I get the audio only: no video - which was rather the point of the cut!

Could anyone please advise me on how to download a video .AVI file successfully from the Google website and play it back on my computer with video?

Many thanks in advance.

Edited by shimakaze, 25 August 2013 - 02:44 PM.

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I think you'll find that you have a 32bit version of Vista as a 28bit version does not exist.

Windows Media Play does not contain codecs for .AVI files so instead obtain VLC Player as it will play 99.9% of anything.

http://www.videolan....ad-windows.html

shimakaze

shimakaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Brilliant! Question posed 1628, reply with link to solution posted 17 minutes later, both files successfully viewed using VLC Player by 1705. All in the finest traditions of GeeksToGo: many thanks. Issue resolved.

28- v 32-bit: erm, yes, of course you are right.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
You are most welcome Shimakaze. :thumbsup: