Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 8 upgrade

• Please log in to reply

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Hello ,Asking for advice and answers on Windows 8 Upgrade.I've done a lot of research online and it gets very confusing at times different opinions and scenarios,of my choices of doing an upgrade or a clean install of Windows 8.In my case i am looking to try it out see if i like it.Right now i have Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit that came pre installed on my system,my PC specs are good for Windows 8,but i may want to revert back to windows 7,in case i do not like 8.I have recovery DVD'S,support discs.and a repair disc.made.I get these two answers in ways from online,not sure will be the case,#1 If you do an upgrade to Windows 8,the recovery partition should not change.In that case,if you use that recovery partition to reinstall the original software configuration,your system will go back to the original Windows 7 installation.In that case,Windows 8 will no longer be installed.#2 If you do a Custom Install ("clean install"),the recovery partition will no longer be bootable so you will not be able to boot to or run the recovery program.Second scenario makes sense in ways,since recovery partition is part of c: drive,which is where i would install 8 and clean install will most likely format the drives partitions.From what i heard or read scenario 1 make a windows old folder,not leave a recovery and clean install would not write to recovery partition,were gets confusing,but since i saw these two scenarios i am not sure what to think,not even my computers manufacturer much help when comes to changing your system that was set way they sold it,even there support site is bad.So my main question is,is there anyway to keep the recovery partition for Windows 7,when doing a upgrade or doing a clean installing Windows 8?
Any advice or more non confusing knowledge of right answers would be much appreciated,thank you.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I don't see why doing a Clean install means you can't use the Windows 7 recovery partition. The key you press to start the recovery process should still work as long as you have not deleted the recovery partition. If not, setting the recovery partition as the active partition usually works. Then when you boot, the recovery process starts. I've done this several times on different computers.

I would strongly recommend that you get an external hard drive and do a image backup of your existing hard drive, all partitions, or at least the recovery and Windows 7 partitions. Then going back to Windows 7 is simple, just restore the recovery and Windows 7 partitions, reboot and your set.

You should also consider running Windows 8.1 Preview (which is free to try) in a Virtual Machine using Oracle's Virtual Box. It allows you to keep Windows 7 yet also use Windows 8 (8.1 actually). Good way to try it before you buy Windows 8.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Thank you for your response.I believe this recovery partition is part of c: partition,which Windows 7 is on,even though shows as a separate partition.I attached an image to show to left of c: partition.Many may say clean install may remove this partition,since Windows 8 put on the boot drive,may be needed also for windows 8,afterwards.So how do you set the recovery partition as active,could i do it through program my image attached shows or disk management,is it is not already active?During process of a clean(custom) install not an upgrade for Windows 8 it says it has you delete a partition or format one to install 8 on it.I was wondering a way it won't delete this recovery partition.My PC support says the key to press the recovery process at boot,may not work anymore after an OS 8 upgrade,maybe there believing the partition will get erased,as said earlier post,gets confusing what to believe,trial an error perhaps,how i always learned from things in past with PC'S,never afraid to try,you always learn from mistakes.Even if i make an image of partition,how do i place it back,after,what a format of the drive,this sounds even more complex then the upgrade or clean install?As i said in my first post,i have all of my recovery disc.'s media made,two sets,have all my software backed up,files too on an external drive,always did,always will do it that way,i never just leave it on say d: data drive partition.I felt clean install was a better option,as most say,if keep 8 that way it runs better then an then an upgrade 8,but chances of keeping the recovery partition is slimmer in upgrade way. :whistling: :confused:

YOU SAID:
You should also consider running Windows 8.1 Preview (which is free to try) in a Virtual Machine using Oracle's Virtual Box. It allows you to keep Windows 7 yet also use Windows 8 (8.1 actually). Good way to try it before you buy Windows 8. WHAT THIS,HOW TO DO IT?

One concern,was to try to keep the PC way it is,by keeping recovery in place,in case do not like 8 or if i do end up liking Windows 8 eventually,then i won't care loosing it,as said in some online topics,clean install needs a free partition,did not want to mess with a dual boot scenario,more complicated,more issues i felt and read. :confused:
Thanks for advice,hope you or anyone else can shed more light on this topic,much appreciated.

Attached Files

Edited by jds63, 26 August 2013 - 01:06 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
The recovery partition is separate from your Windows 7 partition. As your snapshot shows, you have 4 partitions on Disk 1. 100MB System Reserved, Recovery, WIN7 and DATA.

As far as running Windows 8.1 in Oracle VB, read some of these Google links: run windows 8.1 in oracle virtual box

During process of a clean(custom) install not an upgrade for Windows 8 it says it has you delete a partition or format one to install 8 on it

Don't delete any partitions, just select the WIN7 partition and format it during the install process. Don't touch any other partitions. That will leave the recovery partition intact for use later if you want.

These two tutorials should help you a lot:

How to Download and Install Windows 8.1 Preview

How to Do a Clean Install of Windows 8 or Windows 8.1

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
O.k. what about this part of article about system reserved do i need to have it or not for windows 8?

The 350 MB System Reserved partition is used for the Boot Manager code, BCD (Boot Configuration Database), System Recovery Options (Windows RE), and start up files for BitLocker (if turned on).
If you want to have (recommended) the 350 MB System Reserved partition in addition to the Windows 8 C: partition on a HDD or SSD after installation, then you would need to make sure that all partitions on the drive have been deleted until it is only unallocated space. Next, select the unallocated drive to install Windows 8 on. If there are no partitions on the disk, you will get the 350 MB System Reserved.

If you do not want to have the 350 MB System Reserved partition and only the Windows 8 C: partition on a HDD or SSD after installation, then select a formatted partition or drive to install Windows 8 on. If there are any partitions on the disk, you won't get the 350 MB System Reserved.

I did find this article for Windows 8.1 preview,which may be same scenario as custom install of Windows 8 for me.

Can I uninstall Windows 8.1 Preview?

Uninstalling the preview isn't supported. However, it may be possible to restore your entire system to its factory condition.

If your PC came with Windows 8 preinstalled, then you may be able to restore it back to Windows 8 by using PC refresh. Your personal files won't be affected, but apps that did not come with the PC will need to be reinstalled and apps that you installed while using the preview may not be available through the Windows 8 Store.

If you're running Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7, you can't uninstall the preview. To go back to your previous operating system, you'll need to reinstall it from the recovery or installation media that came with your PC (typically DVD media). If you don't have recovery media you might be able to create it before you update from a recovery partition on your PC using software provided by your PC manufacturer. Check the support section of your PC manufacturer's website for more info. After you install Windows 8.1 Preview you won't be able to use the recovery partition on your PC to go back to your previous version of Windows.

I have seen your articles you sent here in my searches,that is the one that had me thinking.This new article i show on preview has me wondering about partition more,are you sure the recovery partition and the system reserved will remain intact,AFTER CLEAN INSTALL ,even though they are part of the partitions from c: drive,windows 8 will not change them for it's boot or recovery?Also if i installed Windows 8 (CLEAN INSTALL) and ended up liking and keeping it with Windows 7 Recovery partition intact still,would i be able to do a recovery of Windows 8 ,should I then need to do a Re-install of Windows 8 then removing the recovery and other partitions,except D: DATA DRIVE?

Excuse me if i do not seem understand what you may understand or know,is why i may repeat myself asking certain questions again,reassurance,but you are making it clearer to me,i do thank you.I will wait still hear your responses to this article i saw,thanks
I downloaded Windows 8.1 preview will decide after your answers.

Edited by jds63, 26 August 2013 - 08:09 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Leave System Reserved asis. It's small so doesn't really affect your available disk space.

A refresh while booted to 8.1 would give you a refreshed 8.1, not 8.0.

Just do what I said, format the WIN7 partition during Windows 8/8.1 install, leave everything else asis.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
O.K. you seem certain under a clean install of Win8 that formatting just the C: Win7 partition will for sure leave the system reserved and recovery partition intact to reinstall Windows 7.Does this say an upgrade of Win8 would not do the same,would wipe those partitions then? I did look into VirtualBox,that you told me about,seems o.k. to try,maybe not to hard to figure out,my system does have Intel virtualization technology,just needs be enabled in BIOS,have enough RAM and HD space,wondering if it's a better option,i will decide,thank you for all your help and advice.

Asus Essentio Intel Core i5 2320 3.0GHZ,8GB RAM DUAL CH. DDR3,EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650TI,Creative Sound Blaster Z,Asus V229H Monitor 1920x1080p res.
1B Hard Drive

Edited by jds63, 28 August 2013 - 02:25 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Yes, I'm certain. As long as you are careful and format just the WIN7 partition the others will remain.
I believe a Win 8 upgrade would also work since you start that from a booted Windows system

I agree it would be a good idea to try Virtual Box first. It's a great way to try Windows 8 (8.1) before you buy it. It runs a bit slower than it would directly on the hardware but more than good enough to try it out.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
O.K. Thank you,if i do an install it will be a clean one,as they run faster then an upgrade as said in numerous articles.VirtualBox thing seems easy enough,for my intelligence with PC's.My PC has enough RAM,HD and CPU for it.Just hopefully it's easy to uninstall it on Virtualbox and uninstall software Virtualbox itself if i do not want it.Otherwise i do a recovery or system restore.I have learned alot on this forum,it is a great place for answers,you have helped me in past,i thank you,wish to try to help some people on here with my knowledge i learned from past experiences of Computers, i do look over the posts.

Asus Essentio Intel Core i5 2320 3.0GHZ 8GB RAM DUAL CH. DDR3 EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650TI,Creative Sound Blaster Z,Asus V229 Monitor 1920x1080p res.
1TB Hard Drive

Edited by jds63, 28 August 2013 - 02:26 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You can run Win 8 as a Virtual Box client with no problems with those specs.

Please post back when you try Win 8, let me know how you like it.

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Thank you,i installed VirtualBox will give it a try.Sad news is Microsoft stopped selling full versions of Windows 8,unless maybe get an OEM from someone,so i have to pay $14.99 for Windows 8 full version if i want to have it,to do a clean install,otherwise my only choice be a upgrade from Windows 7,which may loose a said before,my recovery partition,good thing have the discs made in case i do.Friggen Bill Gates :angry: Maybe possible get full version though,who knows,maybe retailer or E-Bay cheaper,google it,thanks,let you know,how 8 is and goes. :thumbsup:

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Did you mean 8.1? It's still available here as far as I can tell: Windows 8.1 Preview ISO files

The product key to use during the install is: NTTX3-RV7VB-T7X7F-WQYYY-9Y92F

Edit: Was that a type: $14.99? Windows 8 is not available anywhere at that price that I'm aware of. More like $149.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
No i meant Windows 8 upgrade,not sure if i can get a full version if i wanted it after trying out 8.1 preview on virtualbox,because i did see you can not do a clean install with an windows 8 upgrade version anymore,unless you pay a extra price to Microsoft give you a key,i thought i saw extra $14.99 and considering you spend enough on the upgrade already,pretty sure i did see something like that somewhere.I'm saying if had a valid upgrade bought of windows 8 already.Seems you can only upgrade from a previous version of Windows on PC now,unless i was to format drive,but then i'd loose everything anyway,my Windows 7 partitions,But i did see a post of yours and others somewhere else,that could make it possible for clean install off upgrade disc.:

1. Run the registry editor (regedit)
2. Find the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\OOBE
3. Change the value for 'MediaBootInstall' from 1 to 0
4. Open an elevated command prompt (run as admin)
5. Run the following command: slmgr -rearm
6. Reboot

Well i am running the 8.1 preview on VM,so far so good,but slower then my PC.I used the default settings on it,maybe it's not enough but what was minimum,2GB RAM,25 GB HD.
Wondering if i end up wanting to change to Windows 8 and can i get a full version,how much?Or get a upgrade,try what's written above,time will tell,if i like it enough,so far kinda confusing,compared to windows 7.
Thanks alot

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You can do a Clean Install of Windows 8 using a upgrade version.
How to Do a Clean Install with Windows 8 Upgrade

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Does this Bat File work better then this one?
Or does it do the same thing?

1. Run the registry editor (regedit)
2. Find the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\OOBE
3. Change the value for 'MediaBootInstall' from 1 to 0
4. Open an elevated command prompt (run as admin)
5. Run the following command: slmgr -rearm
6. Reboot

This is what Microsoft tells you even though it's from last year,which is Bull cause most say need a system Builder edition,or OEM full version of Windows 8:

October 2012:
How to do a clean install:

Step 1: Use the Upgrade Assistant to qualify the PC and pay the $40 (US)

Step 2: When the "Install Windows 8" message appears, select "Install by creating media" to create a bootable USB flash drive or an .iso

(a disk image) file.

Step 3: Wait for the Assistant to download the Windows 8 Pro installation package and create the bootable media or .iso file. The flash

drive must be have 3GB or more of free space available.

Step 4: Burn the .iso file, if that's the path you chose, to a blank DVD.

Step 5: Use that USB drive or DVD to boot the PC.

Step 6: When you get to the screen in Setup that asks, "Which type of installation do you want?' choose "Custom."

Step 7: Select a disk partition for the OS in the next screen. At this point, you can create a new partition if there's enough space

available, or reformat the drive.

Step 8: Continue with the installation of Windows 8 Pro.

Just give me an answer which method works best from two i wrote,if i decide to install Windows 8,i will try it.So far still running it on Virtualbox,checking it out.Just takes time getting use to new OS,it's a big change.Never knew about VirtualBox,but it's great way check out an OS.

Do you know if Windows 8 supports High Definition,resolutions of up to 1920x1080.Under Virtualbox which is probably not possible,does not go higher then 1600x1200?
Because this question,under my PC without VM my native resolution is,1920x1080.

Thank you for all so far,let me know which ones most successful method,BAT File or Regedit for upgrade activation.

Edited by jds63, 30 August 2013 - 06:29 PM.