Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 8 upgrade

• Please log in to reply

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Just follow the directions at the link I posted.

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
O.K. so assuming the instructions in that last link the of using the .bat file has same affect as changing the registry values in MediaBootInstall from 1 to 0?
If so i'll do that link,but i have both links,so if i decide to get and use Windows 8 i will try it.Right now i am still evaluating it under VirtualBox not sure yet,it is much different to Windows 7,take alot to get adjusted to use to,no start button even though programs to make one.One more question,Do you know if Windows 8 supports HD,1920X1080? My Video card supports this resolution,so my native res.for my monitor now i have the latest drivers for video card too.Seeing alot on internet about apps problem with resolutions higher then certain one for it show properly in Windows 8.Thank you for all your advice and help on this,it's much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Edited by jds63, 31 August 2013 - 01:18 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Install Classic Shell and set it to boot to the Desktop. Then you will have the environment your are used to with Windows 7. Once you have that then you can take your time learning to use the Metro Desktop and Apps. I don't use them at all and have completely disabled UAC which means I can't use any Metro stuff, which suits me just fine.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
O.K. How is Classic shell compared to other programs do similiar,like Stardocks Start8,is it better?When i do try Win8 i'll try what you mean about UAC.VirtualBox is giving me some time now to get used to the Metro Apps and new Windows 8.I also asked EVGA about my video card,EVGA GeForce GTX 650ti,if Windows 8 will let me be able to get my native resolution of 1920x1080p,they said i could,i have latest drivers saved also.Thanks again,so far Windows 8 has some nice features,wonder how will be fully on a PC will it be faster and in ways better then 7,speed and quality of it,i can't really tell on the VM,plus my fIrst time using VM.

Edited by jds63, 31 August 2013 - 05:57 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Classic Shell is free, Start is $4.99. I use both. Classic Shell on my daughters laptop and Start8 on my Desktop.

I find 8 a little faster than 7.
If you leave Fast start active, then it boots to a useable desktop in 20 seconds or less from power off. A factor is that I'm booting from a 128GB SSD.

Check your Win 8 compatibility by running Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Alright,Do you find StarDocks Product better?Seems worth $5.00,not much at all.Heard Classic Shell has too many settings making more confusing,little outdated,but looks o.k.,these are two best ones to use.Not really sure want to bother with Upgrade Advisor to do the install,i won't probably download 8 from Microsoft on ISO.Link was not working,there having issues.What i heard about the boot times with Windows 7 compared to Windows 8,bit faster in seconds,not much,i meant overall in desktop,wondering how it was.Yes i know an SSD drive can be faster then the other one.As i said before on the VM,it's hard to tell speed.I'll try the link again anyway,thanks Ztruker. :cool:

Edited by jds63, 01 September 2013 - 02:12 PM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
O.K. i ran Windows 8 Upgrade Asstistant,my one concern is this:
Secure boot requires firmware that supports UEFI v2.3.1 Errata B and has the Microsoft Windows Certification Authority in the UEFI signature database.
Microsoft says this:Your PC firmware doesn't support secure boot so you won't be able to use it in Windows 8
I know i have UEFI on this system

I can't seem to attach the report,Error You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file.In a HTML.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Zip it then upload the zip file.

I have 0 knowledge of UEFI and Secure boot other than the little I've read about it. My computers are all too old. I'll be getting a new one at Christmas time, then I can learn more about it.

Perhaps check to see if there is a firmware update for your computer that will bump the UEFI level?

Otherwise disable Secure boot.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
I think it is disabled,although i see in BIOS it says UEFI bios,i have checked it out see nothing to enable or disable it maybe missing something inBIOS,most say it's not needed,to check security on software during boot.Found two ways find out,but it did not work,thru msconfig32 i think,and powershell,came up as was not there or activated.Another thing i'll try is contact ASUS my manufacturer.

Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver
Please follow the steps below:

Uninstall Express Cache before the upgrade to Windows 8.
Upgrade to Windows 8.
Download and install Intel Rapid Start Technology(IRST) driver.
Download and install Express Cache.

The installation sequence of Intel Rapid Start Technology(IRST) and Express Cache must be in the above order.

I downloaded newest driver for Intel Rapid Storage Technology
But this express cache,not Intel thing,not sure if got right site.ExpressCache technology by Condusiv Technologies. The ExpressCache® software product is an innovative technology developed by Condusiv Technologies to improve system speeds by incorporating SSD technology advances into Windows 7 systems. HDD is a Hitachi HDS721010DLE630 ATA .

One more thing,Windows 8 or Windows 8 pro which is better to use ,say Pro for more security or business?

Edited by jds63, 02 September 2013 - 01:06 PM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Zt ,i spoke to ASUS about this Intel Rapid start technology,i just need to update driver after an upgrade,but there were sorta clueless on express cache stuff,said be like a third party software or driver to update or that windows 8 would solve this upon upgrade or clean install of it.As far as the UEFI,i know my BIOS has it,saw no way disable it.As i stated before on what windows 8 upgrade assistant suggested,ASUS could not give me any good answer how to upgrade the firmware,would not advice me to do it.I said what i read on it before that has to do with something when computer boots checking for malicious software,anything running during a boot,not safe.Which he said may be able be done with a anti-virus program to,just a concern cause one thing listed on report of W

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I got rids of the duplicate post.

Read here, see if this helps: How to Install Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 using the "Unified Extensible Firmware Interface" (UEFI)

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
I found this too Hey this is getting deep for even my knowledge not sure what firmware i have or if a windows8 dvd will all UEFI support,it seems maybe,since it incorporates it into win8.I thought i saw a boot order to boot from UEFI in my bios,it went hard drive,cd rom then UEFI.So once i boot from it,i have to already have the Windows 8 dvd in the CD-ROM drive,i assume.Then follow steps in your link.

This for sure WILL wipe all my recovery for win 7,plus my d:data drive too,right now have two partitions,one for operating system,one for windows

6. Delete all partitions/volumes on the disk # (ex: Disk 0) that you want to install Windows 8 as UEFI on until that disk # shows as unallocated space. (see screenshot below)

The 4 partitions are:Paritition 1 - Recovery
Partition 2 - System - The EFI System partition that contains the NTLDR, HAL, Boot.txt, and other files that are needed to boot the system, such as drivers.
  • Partition 3 - MSR - The Microsoft Reserved (MSR) partition that reserves space on each disk drive for subsequent use by operating system software.
  • Partition 4 - Primary - Where Windows is to be installed to.

It is imperative that these 4 partitions remain in the exact order as they are
  • O.K. i am going to look at my BIOS again,but i believe when i press f8 it goes to a boot order,i may be able choose it there UEFI,,but i again think i seen it as pictures in bios boot order to,not sure about a enable or disable function of the UEFI,did see a legacy setting which is mentioned in links article i sent you.All this stuff, iam learning more at my age.

Edited by jds63, 03 September 2013 - 01:23 AM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Well it says it's a UEFI bios utility in BIOS,but can not figure how to boot uefi,ASUS has no documentation on it,knew i saw it once in BIOS and F8 did not show anything to it in the boot order,just hard drive,dvd drive and to enter setup goes to the BIOS.Legacy stuff has to do with USB 3.0,2.0 .I will try to look into it more,otherwise let me know what you think of the last posts stuff i mentioned about partitioning.By the way, after feeling i kind of liked Windows 8 from the Virtual box ,i broke down and bought Windows 8 pro,installed it,followed your link at eight forums that gave me for clean install. Everything went good,it installed literally like in 10 min. :lol: FAST! I did not loose my recovery partition,it still works through the F9 function for the Win7 recovery.Now to just decide if i want to keep it,i will do another clean install to wipe existing partition,get a system reserved for Win8 which was recommended on that site.Tell me if that's right to do.So far Windows 8 is faster,not just booting.Alot to learn.Should i go the route of UEFI,take more research,if it's a better way to do it,and i'll benefit more on the system.Research on this UEFI is getting more and more complex for me to understand more i go into it.From Partitioning to GPT,knowing my BIOS supports right firmware Win 8 requires,Secure boot requires firmware that supports UEFI v2.3.1 Errata B and has the Microsoft Windows Certification Authority in the UEFI signature database.UEFI v2.3.1 Errata B is a UEFI firmware standard. It is related to BIOS. It must be present in BIOS; if not, you need to update the BIOS. If no update is available, you can't use the features of UEFI v2.3.1 Errata B, in which case you need to replace the motherboard if you want to use the features.Question is how do i know firmware version?No Help from ASUS.Think how to boot to UEFI matters in Bios which device,cd,usb you want to boot from,then i need to make a UEFI ISO,meaning either my Win 8 DVD has this,create one,how do u know or Download from Microsoft,then use a program your eightforum site mentioned to make it.:whistling::confused:I am asking you,you said you had limited knowledge on UEFI.
Not sure all this trouble is worth it,it could utilize this system since it has it.I saw in msinfo32,system information,my BIOS MODE is in legacy so not in UEFI,sure it can be switched in the bios somehow.

Edited by jds63, 03 September 2013 - 03:37 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I'm going to see if I can get some other folks here to take a look at your thread. I'm way out of my area here. I have no experience with UEFI/GPT. All I can do is search for answer4s and post them. Hopefully one of the other folk has some hands on experience and can give you expert guidance.

Also, when you run everything together it's very, very hard to read and understand.

I'll go ask right now.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Sorry i was on a roll,doing my research same time.knowing my BIOS is a Uefi,i saw in my Bios,PCI ROM Priority,choices are Legacy or EFI Compatible ROM.Both in GPT mode, please refer below steps:
One said this,could be similiar to mine to do a clean install in UEFI Windows 8

1. Boot into BIOS?[Boot]? [PCI ROM Priority]? choose [EFI Compatible ROM], then press "F10” to save changes and exit.
2. Then press "F11” when booting up and choose "UEFI:[your ODD name]” to install OS.

Sorry guy,my knowledge on this is same,no nothing about it either

Edited by jds63, 03 September 2013 - 08:58 PM.