Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 8 upgrade

• Please log in to reply

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
I talked to Microsoft about this issue I received from Windows 8 ugrade assistant which started the posts on UEFI

Your PC firmware doesn't support secure boot so you won't be able to use it in Windows 8
Secure boot requires firmware that supports UEFI v2.3.1 Errata B and has the Microsoft Windows Certification Authority in the UEFI signature database

UEFI v2.3.1 Errata B is a UEFI firmware standard. It is related to BIOS. It must be present in BIOS; if not, you need to update the BIOS. If no update is available, you can't use the features of UEFI v2.3.1 Errata B, in which case you need to replace the motherboard if you want to use the features.

Microsoft believes this is a hardware issue and believes i should need a BIOS update to resolve the firmware issue stated above,then possibly be able to do a UEFI install of Win8.
I spoke to ASUS my manufacturer but was unsuccessful with getting a BIOS as of yet to work.So all in all seems like a dead issue for installing Win 8 in UEFI for now.See what future brings on updates from manufacturer.Thanks for Help on this problem.Windows 8 pro is working fine as is,so far.One Question,i thought I had Intel rapid start technology on previous OS,seems having issue installing it now,says I do not meet system requirements and ends install.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
So bottom line, if you want to keep the Recovery partition you can't update to Windows 8. If you are willing to wipe the drive, disable secure boot, not do a EFI install you could upgrade. I can see this is going to cause a lot of trouble as time goes on.

That su*ks inhales vigorously.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Well i decided to reinstall,keeping windows 8 by doing a clean install wiping and the recovery of Win 7,making it a fresh Win 8 install now,so i could have there system reserved for Win 8.I made one partition for now,but plan on making a second D: DATA.I used EaseUS Partitin which is a great program,better then Disk management and of course all my Data has always been backed up on my external hard drives.Funny thing is i did not need to use your link for reg edit or use the .bat file to activate,gave me option to call the toll free number and phone activate it and that worked just fine,even on the reinstall.So in conclusion i decided to stay with Win 8 Pro all is working great.As far as the secure boot issue,using UEFI,as i said in last posts,i can not use it,unless i get an update to the BIOS as thought by ASUS and MIcrosoft.I do have the backup discs for Windows 7 Home premium.My brain is burnt trying to understand all this technology i was not familiar with yet,but i am always willing to learn,even at my age.:wacko::thumbsup: Thanks for all you have done to help!Windows 8 is good,i am type to want to try new technology right away when it comes out,i bought this computer just at time it came out,decided go with win 7 was already familair with,Win 8 was to new.

Edited by jds63, 04 September 2013 - 08:30 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Glad all is working for you now.

I agree, Windows 8 is good once you tame it :lol:

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Yes it is.When something new comes out,eventually i need to check it out, i usually like to use the latest technology,plus i felt newer programs and hardware will be mostly Windows 8 in future.I know enough to get by,but i come here when i am stumped or have exhausted the internet for answers.If i ever get a solution to using UEFI i will try it and see if it makes a difference to Win 8.I was thinking,Win 8 has a hidden system reserved,believe it's just for boot info,i do not have a recovery partition for Win 8,cause it's not an OEM that would of been installed by the PC manufacturer,like this PC originally with Win 7.Should i bother to create recovery media,since i have the Win8 installation disc.If so i need to first make a recovery partition to make media afterwards,then i can delete recovery partition afterwards? I know refresh,reset,restore can do similar.I would use DVD'S to make recovery,question i felt is it worth it to.Also know i can make a system image,through Win8 the image would be with anything i had installed prior,software,files and devices.Not sure if a recovery partition would just be copy of Win8 and it's devices or like a system image.I am not sure,i assume recovery image(partition) would just be like reinstalling Win8 from disc.

Edited by jds63, 05 September 2013 - 04:00 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You need to work on your sentence/paragraph construction. It's very hard to read what you wrote and understand it.

Anyhoo ... a recovery partition usually restores not just the operating system but also the additional crap that each manufacturer thinks is necessary. Toshiba is the worst, HP is #2.

That's whay a Clean Install of just Windows Vista/7/8 is preferred over a restore to factory. No crap.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Yes i try to say too much in one post :wacko:I meant i wanted to make a recovery partition for Windows 8 now,is it worth it,because i have the upgrade installation dvd anyway,plus Win 8 has refResh,reset functions,see link.i wanted to know if i made this recovery partition would it just make a recovery of just Windows 8 as it was when i first installed it or will it add all the software,drivers i added on it now?Because since installed Windows 8 i added additional software.
Windows 8 create a recovery:whistling:reset,refresh link

Edited by jds63, 05 September 2013 - 09:28 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I don't see any point in it. You have the DVD so a recovery flash drive is redundant.

You would be better off doing image backups to an external USB hard drive once a month so. That's my recovery method of choice. Keep it current.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
True i thought that too.Although i back up all my stuff every time on external HD.I will probably still make a image in case.Windows 8 has a utility to make system repair disc. like Windows 7 does.In Windows 8,two types System repair disc. and recovery drive on USB stick or DVD,there both the same thing.I made system repair disc ,USB recovery drive is bootable.Well all in all Windows 8 pro is good,it's a change but i like new changes,technology and learning.So all is good.Thank you again for all your help,we can end this topic since i do not have any more questions on it.If i do i will make a new topic.Be good!!:cool:

Edited by jds63, 06 September 2013 - 12:37 PM.