Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New to Windows 8 do I need extra anti virus software? [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Marieukxx

Marieukxx

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
So basically on my old laptop I used Online Armour, malewarebytes and Microsoft Security Essentials. Now I have a new laptop with windows 8. I know it comes with security built in but I still put on malwarebytes and online armour. The thing I noticed is whenever I ran malwarebytes on my old laptop I very very rarely had anything come up. But on this new one I keep getting things coming up whenever I run it. This is concerning me.

Also with Security Essentials I liked that I had is scheduled to run a quick scan daily but defender doesn't do that. I also read defeder doesn't even protect against viruses or trojans! Should I be using any additional security software?

Results of my latest malwarebytes scan:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.75.0.1300
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2013.08.24.04

Windows 8 x64 NTFS
Internet Explorer 10.0.9200.16660
marie_000 :: MARIE [administrator]

25/08/2013 20:34:41
mbam-log-2013-08-25 (20-34-41).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|)
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 402475
Time elapsed: 51 minute(s), 32 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 5
HKCR\AppID\{CA5CAA63-B27C-4963-9BEC-CB16A36D56F8} (PUP.Optional.MySearchDial.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKCR\CLSID\{D40753C7-8A59-4C1F-BE88-C300F4624D5B} (PUP.Optional.MySearchDial.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKCR\TypeLib\{C292AD0A-C11F-479B-B8DB-743E72D283B0} (PUP.Optional.MySearchDial.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKCR\esrv.mysearchdialESrvc.1 (PUP.Optional.MySearchDial.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKCR\esrv.mysearchdialESrvc (PUP.Optional.MySearchDial.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 1
C:\Users\marie_000\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\DT1TEZZR\stubinst_pkg_en-us[1].cab (PUP.Optional.OpenCandy) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

(end)

Advertisements

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Hi you can set Defender to scan daily.

This link will show you how.

In addition to windows defender for windows 8 you can have MalwareBytes' and typically with Windows 8 you do not need another firewall.

What MalwareBytes' found are various things installed typically when you add software that are called foistware.

We can scan and remove those by these steps.

Step 1.

Download AdwCleaner from here to your desktop
  • Run AdwCleaner and select Scan.
  • Once it completes then select Clean.
  • It will ask to reboot let it and then post the log.

Posted Image

Step 2.

Posted Image Please download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.
  • Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message.

Please post both logs and let me know if you are having any issues with your computer.

Marieukxx

Marieukxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Thank you for your help

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Please post both logs and let me know if you are having any issues with your computer.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.