Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Display driver igfx stop Responding and has recovered

• Please log in to reply

olace88

olace88

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hi,

I am currently having problems with my HP Pavilion dv4 laptop particularly on my display driver. I kept getting the "Display driver igfx has stopped responding and has recovered" and my screen would stop and eventually would freeze my PC and crash to a blue screen. Before, this problem goes away after a few restart. But now it seemed I couldn't get things done because it doesn't want to go away. I searched the web and have followed some of the tips like updating my display driver to the latest version. I did this but the problem didn't go away. My graphics accelerator onboard is the Mobile Intel® 4 series Express Family Chipset.

I tried everything what microsoft has recommended like clean boot, check system performance, defrag, cleanup disk, etc but the problem is still there. What I did last inorder to at least continue surfing the net and wrting emails is run "Last Known Good Configuration". It kind of helped a little bit but I'm still getting the error when i play videos in youtube. and i also couldn't play crossfire becuaswe the graphics can't handle it and always displays the error.

I will appreciate any help as I don't know anymore where to get help. This wasn't a problem before. Not until I had the latest Windows updates and probably some new patches on crossfire.

If there's already a an older thread on this topic, kindly post the link.

Here's my specs:

HP Pavilion DV4 1431us Entertainment PC
Windows Vista home premium x64 bit OS
Intel Core2 Duo, 2.1Ghz
4 GB of RAM
Chipset: Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express FAmily Chipset

Thanks in advance and hoping for your usual unfailing support.

olace88

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday olace88.

and i also couldn't play crossfire becuaswe the graphics can't handle it

Have you a Discrete GPU installed?

From the link below, Please click on

olace88

olace88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Gday olace88.

and i also couldn't play crossfire becuaswe the graphics can't handle it

Have you a Discrete GPU installed?

From the link below, Please click on

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply.

No GPU installed. Attached is the result of the link you posted. The display driver is current.

Attached Thumbnails

• Intel Chipset.PNG

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Your product trouble shooting page. > http://bizsupport1.a...ectID=c01881110
Looking through the symptom listed I can't find your exact issue but updating drivers and BIOS is still worth a try.
Please scroll down to > Update drivers and BIOS with the HP Support Assistant, follow the instructions.

If you do not have the Assistant installed, follow instructions for a manual search and install.»Download drivers and software

'

olace88

olace88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Your product trouble shooting page. > http://bizsupport1.a...ectID=c01881110
Looking through the symptom listed I can't find your exact issue but updating drivers and BIOS is still worth a try.
Please scroll down to > Update drivers and BIOS with the HP Support Assistant, follow the instructions.

If you do not have the Assistant installed, follow instructions for a manual search and install.»Download drivers and software

'

Hi,

Ok. Let me try and download the HP assistant. Will let you know asap if this helped.

Thanks!

Olace88

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Posted Image

olace88

olace88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hi,

I downloaded the HP assistant and it told me my software is up to date. Nevertheless, I tried updating my BIOS firmware manually from F.42 to F.66. So now it's up to date. After restart, it did not seem it corrected my problem. I'm still getting the error. But what i noticed is that prolonged use of the laptop seem to make the problem go away. I was getting the error frequently every time I turn on my laptop and open applications right away like Web browser(google), FB and youtube, microsoft outlook. But after a while, after a series of crashes and restart, I estimate an hour later, the system or display would get stable and the error will be gone. I find this strange because, i was under the impression that heat is playing a factor but in my case, the longer my laptop is on the lesser the error appears.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

olace88

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
I agree, does not look like a heat problem as symptoms are in reverse. Beginning to look like hardware.
Does it crash as much running on just the battery as against plugged to the mains?

Although you have updated the BIOS, you should check to make sure everything is set to Defaults.
First step.
Please click link > https://www.google.c....51156542,d.bmk
Scroll down to section 5, page 121.
Follow the steps to restore the bios to defaults setting.
Restart the computer and test.

Second step.
Enter the Setup utility again.
go to the Diagnostic Menu.
Perform the 2 tests. (results please)
exist the set up utility.
Test.

If we don't get any positive results I will consult with other tech staff.

olace88

olace88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Gday.
I agree, does not look like a heat problem as symptoms are in reverse. Beginning to look like hardware.
Does it crash as much running on just the battery as against plugged to the mains?

Although you have updated the BIOS, you should check to make sure everything is set to Defaults.
First step.
Please click link > https://www.google.c....51156542,d.bmk
Scroll down to section 5, page 121.
Follow the steps to restore the bios to defaults setting.
Restart the computer and test.

Second step.
Enter the Setup utility again.
go to the Diagnostic Menu.
Perform the 2 tests. (results please)
exist the set up utility.
Test.

If we don't get any positive results I will consult with other tech staff.

Hi amm,

I loaded the default BIOS settings as instructed and perform the 2 tests. Both the memory, hard disk self test including the smart check yielded positive results. All ok.

I forgot to mention earlier that when I started up using the "Last known good configuration", my windows reverted back to the standard windows theme. Before I was using the Windows aero theme which the display seem to have problem operating on. Using the windows standard theme, the problem seem to appear lesser. Since yesterday, the display error seem to appeared lesser. I was able to play my fps online game and watch videos. The display error would appear once and that's it. And as I mentioned, the longer my laptop stays on, the stable the display becomes.

I will try and observe further since I loaded my defaults and test results were good. I will let you know if this problem will still be there. I do not want to change my theme to Windows aero now which I think the display is having a hard time operating on.

Thanks! I will keep you updated.

olace88

olace88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hi iamm,

I'm still getting the error but less frequently. Any other inputs?

Thanks in advance

olace88

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
I can only think of tw options now.
First, monitor the volts and temps using HWMonitor. Download and install the free ver.. Please make sure to expand the+signs so all components are showing. Let the computer idle for a couple of minutes, take a screen shot. Play a game for about 5 minutes, take a screenshot, upload both with your next reply.
> http://www.cpuid.com...or.html#gallery

The video could be on it's way out. I think nly a reapr shot can test that.

I have posted a Posted Image on the staff tech desk, see what that brings.

Leurgy

Leurgy

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
If indeed your video is failing continuing to use Aero will only stress it more so I recommend that you disable it and leave it off. You really don't need it.

While its a good pratice to keep your drivers up to date it can also cause issues. As a test you can try rolling back your drivers to the previous more stable version and see where your at. Those being the video driver and the crossfire driver you mentioned. The crossfire driver I would roll back first and see if the situation improves. If theres no change, then try rolling back the video driver. You can do this through the properties of the device in device manager.

How To Roll Back a Driver in Windows Vista

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Also if I may can you do the following for us?

Download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions and program

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
I'll jump in too.

In the Search box type: dxdiag

wait for it to find it. Right click on dxdiag.exe and Run As Admin.

Once it finishes Save All Information. Point it at your desktop and it should save it as dxdiag.txt.

Exit

Double click on dxdiag.txt and copy and paste the text into a reply.

Get Process Explorer

http://live.sysinter...com/procexp.exe
Save it to your desktop then run it (Vista or Win7 - right click and Run As Administrator).

View, Select Column, check Verified Signer, OK
Options, Verify Image Signatures

Click twice on the CPU column header to sort things by CPU usage with the big hitters at the top.

Wait a full minute then:

File, Save As, Save. Open the file Procexp.txt on your desktop and copy and paste the text to a reply.

Get the free version of Speccy:

http://www.filehippo...download_speccy (Look in the upper right for the Download
Latest Version button) Download, Save and Install it. Run Speccy. When it finishes (the little icon in the bottom left will stop moving), File, Save as Text File, (to your desktop) note the name it gives. OK. Open the file in notepad and delete the line that gives the serial number of your Operating System. (It will be near the top about 10 lines down.) Attach the file to your next post.

Start, All Programs, Accessories then right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator. Then type (with an Enter after each line).
sfc  /scannow

(This will check your critical system files. Does this finish without complaint? IF it says it couldn't fix everything then:

Copy the next two lines:

findstr /c:"[SR]" \windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log > \windows\logs\cbs\junk.txt
notepad \windows\logs\cbs\junk.txt

Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator, Continue. Right click and Paste or Edit then Paste and the copied line should appear.
Hit Enter. Copy and paste the text from notepad or if it is too big, just attach the file.)

1. Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso
http://images.malwar...om/vino/VEW.exe
and save it to your Desktop:
2. Right-click VEW.exe and Run AS Administrator
3. Under 'Select log to query', select:

* System
4. Under 'Select type to list', select:
* Error
* Warning

Then use the 'Number of events' as follows:

1. Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
Type 20 in the 1 to 20 box
Then click the Run button.
Notepad will open with the output log.

Please post the Output log in your next reply then repeat but select Application.

Ron

olace88

olace88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

If indeed your video is failing continuing to use Aero will only stress it more so I recommend that you disable it and leave it off. You really don't need it.

While its a good pratice to keep your drivers up to date it can also cause issues. As a test you can try rolling back your drivers to the previous more stable version and see where your at. Those being the video driver and the crossfire driver you mentioned. The crossfire driver I would roll back first and see if the situation improves. If theres no change, then try rolling back the video driver. You can do this through the properties of the device in device manager.

How To Roll Back a Driver in Windows Vista

Hello Leurgy,

I did try rolling my drivers back to the original but it didn't help. Thanks for the input. I gonna try the other members suggestions and let you guys know. I just wanna say, I really appreciate all your help/. Very thankful.