Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Issues with XP Pro SP 3

• Please log in to reply

shonstain

shonstain

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Sometimes my taskbar does not load or does not load all the way and I have to shut down my computer and restart and if I get the same result again I choose the "Start with last good configuration (??) settings and was told I needed to re-load my Win XP OS one time. I do not have that disk. I was directed to Geeks to go and found a similar issue with not having an XP disk and the fellow was told to download ARCDC and run the program to get the files from Microsoft and save the file on my desktop, which I did and then I was to burn a CD using ImageBurn. I have done that and now have the XPRC.iso on a disk and ready to use.

I have a Compaq Presario 061 Model: PJ 518 AA-ABA SR 1230NX NA440 running Bios vs: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 3.10, 7/26/2004. I don't know what to do next with this. I'm pretty savvy with computer stuff with the correct instructions. Could you please tell me what I should do next? This .iso will only re-load the XP-Pro, correct. Will it delete any of my other Program Files? Do I need to backup anything on my computer? I have 46.6 GB of Used space; and 102 GB of Free space = 149 GB total. I run dual 22" monitors with NVIDIA for Digital vs VGA.

Can you help me with the next steps in my process, or would I be better off taking my computer to a shop to do this for me? If I need to provide more information please let me know and I will provide it!

Thank you very much -- Sue Honstain

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts
Hi Sue :welcome:

...This .iso will only re-load the XP-Pro, correct.

No the ISO can be used on certain cases to fix some Windows problems but it can't be used to reinstall windows if you don't have the Windows XP CD.

Can you take a screenshot of Disk Management showing the hard disk expanded?

Click Start > Run> diskmgmt.msc expand the window to show all the blocks then take the picture.

shonstain

shonstain

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Here's the screenshot of Disk Management expanded: I have to leave for work by 10am this morning and won't return till after 3PM

Attached Thumbnails

• DiskManagementExpanded.JPG

Edited by shonstain, 26 August 2013 - 09:38 AM.

shonstain

shonstain

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Do you have any more information on my issue for me???

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Do you have any more information on my issue for me???

Hi,

The disk doesn't have any extra partition for Recovery so you need a Windows XP disk specific for Compaq machines.

Microsoft will end the support for Windows on 8 April 2014 users need start thinking on moving to another Operating System...
Most likely your machine isn't up for Windows 7 because of it's age but to make sure please post a snapshot with Speccy following this guide How to Publish a snapshot with Speccy

shonstain

shonstain

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
http://speccy.pirifo...FOEO5xFfvNU6QWI

Here is the Speccy file link! I will probably replace my computer when the time comes -- just trying to get as much out of it as I can right now!

Do I need to run the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - August 2013 (KB890830) and if so how do I tell the computer to do so?

Edited by shonstain, 27 August 2013 - 08:56 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Hello shonstain

If I may chime in while SleepyDude is offline;

To keep your computer secure you must install all Important updates and the best way of doing this is to have Windows Update - AutoUpdate enabled, your system update is presentlydisabled so I suggest that you enable it.

For installing the update manually please see How to download and run the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Wh5XHOnYFOEO5xFfvNU6QWI

Here is the Speccy file link! I will probably replace my computer when the time comes -- just trying to get as much out of it as I can right now!

The machine will probably run Windows 7 but will most likely be slower that with Windows XP...

Do I need to run the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - August 2013 (KB890830) and if so how do I tell the computer to do so?

Its a limited virus scanner that specifically targets some malware, does not hurt to run the tool and normally will run when you install windows updates.
Actually the Malicious Software Removal Tool is always available at this Microsoft page

Edited by SleepyDude, 27 August 2013 - 10:37 AM.

shonstain

shonstain

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I did turn Automatic updates on this morning to update every Tuesday at 10AM. Thanks for the information on using the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
You are welcome :thumbsup:

To see if your computer can run Windows 7 use the Upgrade Advisor