Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Outlook 2010 Constantly Freezing, Hanging

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Fnordia

Fnordia

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi GeeksToGo! You've helped me in the past with virus/malware issues and I hope you can also help with diagnosing a recurring and very frustration problem that I've been unable to track down the cause of!

My Outlook is constantly freezing/hanging. I run Outlook 2010 Exchange on Windows 7. What happens is that I try to perform an action (usually just clicking on an email) and nothing happens. The cursor remains active (I can move around and go to other programs), there is no loading cursor, the program does not show as "Not Responding" in Task Manager, it just stalls - and after 20-60 seconds, it does whatever I asked.

Understandably this makes it very hard to get anything done!

I do have GFi Vipre Antivirus and SpectorSoft running on this PC. I have tried disabling the GFi Add-on (no change) and have also disabled all other add-ons not required for Exchange to work. I ran Malware Bytes and cleaned up a few cookies, no viruses or spyware. Deep scan with Vipre is run every night, no viruses.

I've checked to make sure that all Windows/Microsoft Updates are installed, and have run out of ideas. Please help!

Advertisements

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
Hello Fnordia,

I'd be more than happy to offer up some suggestions on resolving your Outlook issues. I will break this up into a few steps below, please follow them in order and don't start the next step until the previous step has been completed.

STEP ONE: Removing Temp' Files and Junk Files
As there are a handful of reasons I've seen temporary files cause all sorts of machines and programs to slow down, I'd like to start there. If you have CCleaner installed, you are welcome to use that instead of the program I am about to list, although I'd still encourage you to use it for this one run. Before you download and run the program, please make sure you save all work and close out of all programs accept your browser (which also will need to be closed down after the download, before running the program).

Please download Temp File Cleaner (TFC). Once that is done, close out of all your open applications/programs and then please 'Right Click' and select Run As Administrator from the Context Menu. Please let this run, uninterrupted. Once it's finished, it may ask you to reboot your machine - If it does, please allow it to reboot at this time and after Windows loads back up move on to 'STEP TWO'. If it does not require a reboot, please move on to 'STEP TWO'.STEP TWO: Repairing Outlook
  • Before we look into making a new profile or reconfiguring your account, let's let the good ol' fashion 'Repair' take a stab at it!
  • Quit any Microsoft Office programs that are running.
  • Open Control Panel, and then open Add or Remove Programs (if you are running Windows XP) or Programs and Features (if you are running Windows Vista or Windows 7).
  • In the list of installed programs, right-click Microsoft Office 2010 and then click Repair.
Please let this repair run. Once it's done, please reboot your computer (for good measures) and give Outlook another go. If it still is responding slow, please move on to 'STEP THREE'. If it's responding much more fluid and not hanging, please go ahead and skip the rest of these steps. STEP THREE: Repairing Data File
  • The next option is to either create a new profile or attempt to repair your current database file (.pst or .ost). I will post a direct link to Microsoft's walk through for repairing the database and then post Microsoft's walk through for creating a new user profile in a spoiler below, in which are very well explained and accurate. If it was me personally, I'd do a profile first and see if that resolves the issue or not. However the standard practice is to repair the data file before creating a new profile, just to let you know.

Here is the guide for repairing your data file: Repair Outlook Data Files (.pst and .ost)
    Here is the guide for creating a new profile:
    Spoiler
  • Open Mail items by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Programs, clicking User Accounts, and then clicking Mail.
  • Click Show Profiles.
  • Select the profile that you want to remove, and then click Remove.
  • Click Add.
  • In the Profile Name box, type a name for the profile.
  • Specify the user name, the primary SMTP address, and the password, and then click Next.
  • You may receive the following prompt:
  • Allow this website to configure alias@domain server settings?
  • In this prompt, click to select the Don’t ask me about this again checkbox, and then click Allow.
[/list] 
Please post back if any of the above worked for you, if they did not please let us know if you notice any changes what so ever. Either myself or another, likely more knowledgeable member, will be sure to assist you from there.

MiketheFarmer

MiketheFarmer

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
You can use the Inbox Repair Tool (Scanpst.exe) to repair the errors of the Outlook file. Scanpst.exe is automatically installed with MS Outlook.

You can repair the Scanpst.exe by following simple steps:

• Double-click Scanpst.exe that is located at drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE10
  • Enter the file name that you want to recover, to the scan box or click the Browse to search the file
  • Click Options to specify the scan log options
  • Click Start
  • You will be prompted to start the repair process, if errors are found after the scan
  • Click Repair
  • Start the Outlook by using the profile that contains .pst file that you tried to repair
  • Click Folder List on the Go menu.
  • You will see a folder named Recovered Personal Folders in the Folder List this contains a Lost and Found folder or Outlook folders. Lost and Found folder contains the items and folders recovered by the Inbox Repair tool. Items that are missing from the Lost and Found folder cannot be repaired.
  • If you see Recovered Personal Folders folder, create a new .pst file and drag it in the Lost and Found folder. After you have finished moving all the items, you can remove
  • Recovered Personal Folders (.pst) file, including the Lost and Found folder, from your profile
If you fail to recover your file then I suggest you to go for a third party recovery tool. SysInfoTools PST File Recovery software is one such tool. :thumbsup:

Edited by MiketheFarmer, 10 October 2013 - 06:12 AM.