Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Upgrading my pc

• Please log in to reply

Roofpigeon

Roofpigeon

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi guys,

First off let me tell you about my situation.
I've been out of gaming for a while , and just recently got back into it after I got my pc gifted (you read it right) to me from my parents who decided to switch over to an iMac.
The PC is a few years old, but still holds some nice components I think. but please, correct me if I'm wrong.

Here are the specs:
Posted Image

OK so i'm wondering, is it a good idea to just change the graphics card and memory? Or is this system too old and would it be a better call to save up for a whole new pc?
i'm a student, my budget isnt that big yet so i'm really weighing the pros and cons.

In example, i should be able to play PAYDAY 2 with my current specs but i cant get it to work smoothly (lowest settings everything and latest drivers)

I know my graphics card is [bleep], and buying a new one would be better, but would I still be able to use this new graphics card for In example, an i7 system as a proper card?
In other words, would the latest graphics cards for current high end systems function in this sytem?

ty

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
Gday Roofpigeon, Posted Image.
The system is a bit old but still serviceable. It is possible to upgrade the GPU as they are backwards compatible and you can reuse it in a new build later. Other main parts I would leave as is, Except, possible the PSU which may not be powerful enough to drive a new video card.

The specs posted are helpful but could apply to hundred of computers so please let use know the Brand/model of the computer.

It looks like it may be a HP similar to this one, > http://h10025.www1.h...=c01612530#N101

Veeg

Veeg

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
With the correct graphic and and psu and up the ram to 8 gigs, you could get in to midrange to high mid range gaming easy...IMHO...

Edited by Veeg, 27 August 2013 - 03:21 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
[quote name='Veeg' timestamp='1377595267' post='2326535']
With the correct graphic and and psu and up the ram to 8 gigs, you could get in to midrange to high mid range gaming easy...IMHO...
[/quote

I did not include a RAM upgrade for the following reasons.

A RAM upgrade would only be useful with a 64bit OS and most likely make no difference to the majority of games,, (games only using resources.)
The $60 outlay would be better spent on the GPU.
The RAM could not be moved to a modern system.

> http://www.techbuyer...m/RAMgaming.php

Had it been a new build, I would definitely have gone for 8GB.

Veeg

Veeg

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Yes it would have to be a 64 bit system to handle more ram,i do agree that a graphics card would be the first thing on my list to buy,but the consensus from the OP's in the Gaming/Hardware forums that i have talked to is,if you have 8 gigs of ram you can play any game and seems to be a standard across the board for gaming rigs... I have noticed that Roofpigeon,didn't say if any gaming would be involved,my post was an option..

Roofpigeon

Roofpigeon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
hi guys

Thanks for all the help so far
OK so to answer the questions asked thus far:

Its a COMPAQ cq5020NL http://h20000.www2.h...eriesId=3884644

its a fossile.. i know

OK so the next thing:
OS = Windows 7 64Bit, so an increase in RAM would be helpful yep, but could it be taken to the next system.. nope :/

Little update:

Graphical card decided to make a lot of noise (could be the fan just, but what would you recommend for a card for games that I could take to a next system and would fit in this, the motherboard supports PCI Express x16 cards
its a m2n78-la pegatron motherboard. (never heard of it either. dont worry)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
Gday.

OS = Windows 7 64Bit, so an increase in RAM would be helpful yep, but could it be taken to the next system.. nope :/

NO, could not be moved.
Providing it will physically fit, you could use almost any GPU, but would need a new PSU as the one you have is only 300 watt. Both could be used in a new build later.
Any options for adding fans to the case?
What is your budget?

Roofpigeon

Roofpigeon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
ohh very helpful tip about the PowerSupply ty!
uhm, well seeing as i'm a student im gonna have to save up :)
i'd say about max 350 euro's (i live in the Netherlands) otherwise i'd just as rather save up for a new pc x)

Edited by Roofpigeon, 31 August 2013 - 12:44 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
Dgay.
Sorry for the delay in responding.
Given the parts that would be transferable to a new system at a later date. Site from France to give you some idea of prices.
You will need to measure the dimension of the existing PSU to make sure the new one will fit.
> http://fr.pcpartpick...parts/partlist/