Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Factory restore for wifi problem

• Please log in to reply

tasha9

tasha9

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi there,

I just joined and I'm looking for some help. I sent my Acer 5733 laptop to Acer's repair centre because it was overheating. When I received it back from them though, all of a sudden it was no longer detecting any wireless networks, whereas before it detected even the neighbours. Other laptops and my own iPod connect to the network without an problem so it can't be the router. I tried to update the drivers but they were already up to date, and I checked to see if the wireless adaptor was enabled, which it is.

I called Acer up today to ask for help and they said that I must perform a factory reset on it, and if that doesn't work then send it back to them. I'm loathed to perform a factory reset so i was wandering if anyone would know how to solve this type of issue? I'm not very skilled though in terms of what goes on behind the screen so if you could try to make it sound simple that would really be appreciated.

Thanks so much to whoever is able to help.

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Hello Tasha

Is the Wi-Fi actually turned on via the keyboard on the laptop.

A bit of a daft question I know but it's happened before.

tasha9

tasha9

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi

Yes it is. I don't think its an actual physical switch (there doesn't seem to be one) which I've read some people mention, but I believe its the fn+F3 function which has a similar purpose. It's definitely on.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hello tasha9

Fn + F3 is correct for activating the wireless function :thumbsup:

Couple of quick questions while Wolfey is offline;

Have you paired the notebook with the router and set up a gateway in the network and sharing centre, you need to enter your SSID number - WEP/WAP key and ISP password for this.
Do you have a wireless signal on the taskbar/ bottom right corner of the screen, if yes what does it say as in Internet Access or Local Connection.
Have you checked the Device Manager for a yellow ! or red X against the network card.

How have you determined that the device is enabled btw?

tasha9

tasha9

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi Phill,

No I haven't done that yet (and to be honest I'm not too sure how). All I have is a big red cross over the wireless signal button on the bottom right of the screen. I went into Network Connections to determine that it was enabled. I also went into device manager and de installed and then installed the latest driver update. It really is quite peculiar!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Thanks for the update tasha9 :thumbsup:

Did you previously install software to the HDD on the notebook from a disk that was provided by your ISP and if so is the software still included in your list of programs, this check in case it was uninstalled by the Acer repair tech dept.

I am not sure of your ISP so I have provided a link to the user set-up guide provided by my ISP, please see Here

As the wireless device is shown as enabled in the Networking & Sharing centre there is a good chance that this is a software related issue.

If you right click on the red x on the wireless icon you should get the "Troubleshoot problems" option, do you get this and have you tried it.

tasha9

tasha9

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi Phill,

Thanks for the reply. I'm with Virgin Media and to connect to the internet all that happened was that they set up the router and then my laptop automatically detected the network; I didn't have install anything (nor did they give me anything to install) on my laptop.

Ok well that's a relief (I think) as maybe I won't have to ship it off again.

I do get the troubleshoot button when I click on the red cross and after a couple clicks it tells me to switch off the router for 10 seconds and then turn it back on, which I have done without success. Following that piece of advice, it then says it is unable to do anything else :/

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Did you actually go to Acer Support for the WLAN driver or just via Device Manager?

There are 4 downloads for your machine when it comes to WLAN depending on the hardware involved..

This link may not work properly Tasha.

http://www.acer.co.u...content/drivers

No it doesn't so consider this image.

wlan drivers.shf.png

tasha9

tasha9

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
No I just went via Device manager and deinstalled and then reinstalled.

Ok I've managed to view the same thing that's on your screen shot. The only problem I see though is that I'm not sure how I would access that webpage to download the driver onto my laptop without having internet in the first place?

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Are you able to ask a friend if you can access their machine to download the drivers to a USB stick.

If you can then all you need to do is insert that USB into your machine, transfer the drivers to a location on your machine and run them.

If any given driver is not suitable you will get a message saying so.

Advertisements

tasha9

tasha9

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ah I see, excellent. I will give that a try as soon as get home today. Fingers crossed that it works!

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
It goes without saying that you'll let us know how you go on Tasha. :)

tasha9

tasha9

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
OK well I wish I could say it's been solved but it would appear not :/ I downloaded it onto a usb key, then transferred it, unzipped it and clicked on "setup". I then proceeded to go through the installation and then once completed, restarted the computer but it's still showing the same problems? It has just occurred to me that I installed it on the 32 bit system whereas my laptop is 64 bits. Would that be an issue?

Just to make an amendment, it appears that no matter whether I choose the 32 or 64 bit version, it seems to automatically download the 64 bit version

Further amendment: I restarted my laptop after downloading and installing the driver for a second time and I am given the message "missing operating system" on a black background pretty much right after the computer turns on (just after the Acer logo appears). What might have happened?

Last amendment, it seems that the "missing operating system" disappears when I remove the usb key from the computer.

Edited by tasha9, 30 August 2013 - 12:48 AM.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
You say that you installed "the driver" but don't say which particular one out of the four that are listed Tasha.

tasha9

tasha9

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
It was the atheros one. The adapter in my laptop is made by Atheros.