Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

SSD and Hardrive

• Please log in to reply

aareyn

aareyn

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Alright I purchased an SSD along with a 1.5TB hardriver and I was told to install windows 7 on the SSD but my question is should everything else I install such as Programs, Pictures, Videos, ect ect be installed on my regular harddrive?

I was unsure of this so any help will be appreciated and yes I am a noob and first ever computer will be in tomorrow so I just wanted to clear this up thank you.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
Hello aareyn

It depends on the storage capacity of the SSD as to what you should store on it, a 120 - 128GB SSD would be fine for the OS and your favourite game/s as there will be enough free space left to allow for the many OS updates that will be released in the coming years, anything smaller than an 80GB SSD and I would only keep the OS on it.

aareyn

aareyn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Yeah I have a 128GB SSD, so I figure to put like important program/games/files on my HardDrive and leave the majority of the SSD to have windows and other programs that aren't that huge such as photoshop. I don't know I am not sure really don't know if putting games on the SSD will load faster or not.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
Same capacity that I have, a guide to help you partition and install W7 to an SSD, a 64GB split will do you.

Games will load faster from an SSD.

aareyn

aareyn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Alright so you're saying I should split the partition and windows + updates go on one and on the other partition put my games?

aareyn

aareyn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Also sorry for all the question but does putting my OS on the same drive as my Games decrease performance at all?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts

Alright so you're saying I should split the partition and windows + updates go on one and on the other partition put my games?

That was an example figure and you could actually make it 75GB and 53GB if you so wished, an OP with a similar question and a good example of how to set up your SSD and HDD, use for reference only to get an insight http://thessdreview....-guide/2425.htm

Also sorry for all the question but does putting my OS on the same drive as my Games decrease performance at all?

No as the OS always loads first in any event, it loads quicker from an SSD that's all.

aareyn

aareyn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Alright thanks for the help again appreciate it :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
You are most welcome aareyn :thumbsup:

Any further questions please let us know.