Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to download anything on computer

• Please log in to reply

rhouse1216

rhouse1216

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am unable to download any files onto my computer. This is a business computer and the only one we have so I am in desperate need of help. Thank you!

Advertisements

Phel

Phel

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,386 posts
Hello, rhouse1216 and welcome to GeeksToGo!

You can call me Phel and this time I will try to help you with your trouble.

Please, spend some time to read these instructions carefully before we start. They contain very useful information.

• Please, stay with us until the end. I know, Malware Removal isn't very fast procedure, it usually has multiple steps, but you should stay here till your computer will be absolutely clean from malware. If your main problem is solved, that doesn't mean that another malware isn't left in your computer. Your patience will be rewarded with absolutely clean computer. :)
  • Please, let me know, if you don't understand something. It is really important to understand every instruction. If you are in doubt, how to follow one or another instruction - feel free to ask me, how to do that. I am always glad to help you with that.
  • Please, don't fix anything by yourself. Please, don't run any tools unless they are required. Trying multiple tools in hope that one of them will help can lead to unrecoverable consequences. Sometimes malware removal tools, used without supervision, can harm your computer more than malware itself.
  • Please, feel free to notify me about changes in your PC's behavior. It's really interesting for me to know, how your computer is running after each portion of fixes.
  • Please note, that I'm currently in training. It doesn't mean that my help will be worse than expert help. My posts are carefully checked by experts before they are posted. Please note, that my replies sometimes can come with delays. However, usually it takes less than 24 hours to revise my message by expert and post to you it.
  • Finally, enjoy the fight! ;)
Okay, before we start, I have some questions.

I am unable to download any files onto my computer.

Does any message appear, why file couldn't be downloaded? Can you download music, videos, pictures?

Let's start now. I'd like you to download one file, to find out if all or certain file formats are blocked from downloading. If you will be able to download this file successfully, follow the instructions below, this file will produce a log, from whose we can see what is the reason of such blocking.

Try to download OTL to your Desktop
  • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Click the Quick Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
  • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time and post them in your topic.