Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acer Recovery without CD

• Please log in to reply

SamanthaMarley

SamanthaMarley

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My Acer Aspire m5-581 is not starting Windows, it is giving me a blue screen with the message: "Recovery. Your PC needs to be repaired. The boot configuration date file is missing some req info. File:/BCD Error code: 0xc000000d. You will need tools on installation media. If you don't have installation media, contact system admin or PC manufacturer."

I do not have the installation CD. Tried to order one from Acer but their website is down, plus I can't wait for it to get here.
Alt+F10 is not bringing up anything.
F8 is not bringing up anything.

I can get to InsydeH20 Setup Utility by F2 where I have options for Main, Security, and Boot.
So far, I have enabled f12 boot menu and put HDD0 and HDD1 before Windows Boot in the UEFI order.

Any suggestions on how to fix this or where I can order a recovery disk other than Acer?

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,977 posts
Hi :welcome:

Do you know if your Windows 8 is 32 or 64 bits?
Do you have another machine to download and burn a CD?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I know the following works as I used it numerous times.

If you do not have a Windows Vista installation DVD, you can download a legal copy with SP1 integrated from here:

Download Official Windows Vista RTM with SP1 Setup Files (32-bit and 64-bit).

Only Windows Vista Ultimate with SP1 (X64 or X86) download is available, but if, during the install, you do not enter the product key
when initially prompted for it (which you must have to use the download), then you will be prompted to select the version of Vista you
want to install. You can activate once the install is done.

You do need a valid installation key, which should be on the COA sticker on the computer, to activate the installation.

Windows Vista Home Basic
Windows Vista Home Premium
Windows Vista Business
Windows Vista Ultimate

Downloaded the Vista X64 or X86 files.

X64: You must be running on a 64bit (X64) system to create a 64Bit install DVD or flash drive
install.wim
boot.wim
X14-63453.exe

X86:
install.wim
boot.wim
X14-63452.exe

Double click on X14-63453.exe or X14-63452.exe. It extracts all the files into a Vista sub-folder.

Downloaded Windows Bootable Image Creator zip then extract the files to a folder.

Open the folder and run WBICreator.exe
Click Next
Select OS Type: Windows Vista
CD/DVD Label: VistaX64 or VistaX86
Setup Location: The Vista folder created when you double clicked on X14-63453.exe or X14-63452.exe.
Output Path: Somewhere with enough free space to hold the .iso file that will be created (X64 = 3,837,112KB, X86 = 3,013,816KB).
Click GO.

When done a VistaX64.iso or VistaX86.iso file will be created in the Output Path you chose.

You can use the .iso as input to a burner program like ImgBurn to create a Vista Install DVD, or you can use it as Input to
Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3 to create a Vista install flash drive.

I created a X86 flash drive and used it to install a clean copy of Vista Home Basic on my HP DV2200 Laptop. Worked great using the key on the COA sticker of the laptop.

Remember to use the X64 or X86 version of Vista you currently have.

Note: You may need to download drivers for the computer from the manufacturers web site so I would suggest getting the Network (LAN and Wireless) and video/VGA drivers ahead of time so you can install them as soon as you finish installing Vista.