Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD ROM/DVD Not working :'(

• Please log in to reply

lizlee

lizlee

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Good for you. Hope you'll solve your problem soon.

Advertisements

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Still not working .... Wouldn't let me roll it back and will not update cuz it says it can not find a better match for my hardware other then what I have installed.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Hello Lexy610

I am not sure if I am posting in the correct forum but it has to do with my CD ROM ... The top one does not open

Does a light illuminate on this drive to show that it is getting power to it, if yes see below;
There may be a small hole on the front of the drive, if there is get yourself something like a straightened out paperclip and push it into the opening, this will manually open the device if it is jammed or has a sticky mechanism.

the bottom one does not play. The light is on but it isn't doing anything

This is often the result of the read/write lasers of the optical drive having failed.

As an asides Lexy610 can you please conclude your malware topic where RKinner was assisting you, it is very important that you get the all clear of malware by security expert Ron, the topic can be found Here

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Hi ..sorry for taking so long to reply but it was crazy with work & school starting ...

I am embarrassed to say that my top drive does work and it did open. Apparently I was trying to open it with the tip of my nail and but it wouldn't open .. my 10 yr old daughter went to use it and she got it to open lol. Think it wouldn't opened cuz I was not using my fingertip? :oops: Anyhoot it plays and works well ...

I do have a question tho .... what is the bottom drive for?? I put a disc in it and it did nothing ....

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Partially good news that one drive is working at least :thumbsup:

what is the bottom drive for?? I put a disc in it and it did nothing ....

Check the front of the drive as it may have etched on it what it is intended to do as in CD or DVD Rom or RW, as for it not working as I said earlier it is often the result of the read/write lasers of the optical drive having failed, a loose or damaged SATA or data ribbon could also be the cause - a physical check can identify if it is the latter but if the laser has failed the drive is hosed I`m afraid.

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
OK so do I post on the malware forum to make sure my machine is clean?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
You should continue the work that you started with RKinner until he declares your computer clean of malware, once done please let Ron know that you consider the issue resolved so that the thread can be concluded, malware topic

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
That was an old issues that I had .. It had nothing to do with this topic .... That topic was resolved a long time ago. It was when I had a failing hard drive and had to do a clone of the old sick drive onto a new one.

Edited by Lexy610, 17 September 2013 - 02:14 PM.