Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

difference between job roles

• Please log in to reply

themin

themin

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Can any one Please tell me what is differences are
1) Desktop Support
2)Helpdesk Support
3)Technical Support
4)helpdesk support analyst
5)service desk analyst
6)Application Support
7)System Support Engineer

Advertisements

Niyol

Niyol

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Hi A lot of the answers you seek are here if you wish to have a read there is way to much info for me to post.

:thumbsup:

Edited by BHowett, 29 August 2013 - 06:11 PM.
don't like the link, got a lot of BS with it.

Niyol

Niyol

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
So what was wrong with the link BHowet or do you just an an issue with me? I'd like to know why?
Why not just delete the whole post as it's not worth leaving just this is it?
This is the second time I have seen an abuse of status on this site the other day I saw about 4 geekstogo staff jump at this one new person each digging at him for posting in the need help to early, It only needs one so why the pack attack?. Now I think BHowet is using his power here again both time this is considered in my eyes bullying. Please feel free to ban me or all jump down my neck like you did that poor fellow the other day.

Reason for edit: don't like the link, got a lot of BS with it.

Hmm seems like I'm right huh? the words tell all.

Edited by Niyol, 30 August 2013 - 01:30 AM.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Niyol

You need to calm down mate as growling achieves nothing, trust me as I can growl for England.

Bhowett was not having a go at you but perhaps he thought the link contained superfluous information that would not be beneficial to the OP but at the end of the day the Moderator has the final decision, well apart from the Admin should an issue go that far.

When you've been around forums for a long time you will learn to grow a thick skin and not be upset just because someone disagrees with you.

Wolfey

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
Niyol,

Nothing I do here is a personal attack on anyone, it is to follow forum rules, and help members stay safe when it comes to their PC. The link had several pop ups, and a link I clicked was blocked by Malwarebytes as it was a malicious. In the future if you have and concerns with a Moderator, or any staff members action, please send them a PM. That way we are not hijacking another members thread with questions and answers.

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
Alright let me see if I can explain it a bit, using only the knowledge I posses and from my experiences within the IT field. With that being said, you have to also realize that people call all sorts of things that they are not. For instance, a help desk or support desk (haha). Now as to how you came across these, I'm assuming you're on some site that discusses the salaries, pay grades, etc - Such as 'Indeed' or 'CareerBuilder' sites. I'd like to point out that it's not as cookie cutter as one may think. However, regardless of this all I will do the best to explain each with what I have experienced and seen personally (if others disagree, I hope they will pitch in and help me out).

1) Desktop Support This would likely be more of a entry-level position, in which you are working on End User machines. Likely to be residential though I've seen it within business side of call centers as well.

2)Helpdesk Support This is more applied to a group that supports their own product, such as a point of sale system software company will have a help desk to support the software they sell. There can be multiple tiers to this that can range from Entry Level up.

3)Technical Support This is a general term for the most part. I've seen companies like Dell use it but I've also seen hole in the wall local IT companies use it for their phone/remote support number.

4)helpdesk support analyst Honestly I've never heard of a company having 'analyst' at the end, so I cannot comment on this.

5)service desk analyst Again, analyst. If we replace Analyst with technician or support, then I have seen that as a title. With the replacement, it is very similar to the helpdesk support but I've also seen it used for a 'technical support' role in a company as well.

6)Application Support This seems a bit redundant, however this has been used for a specific branch within a 'helpdesk support' team for those who specialize in one application (sometimes the person would specialize in a few). I haven't worked along side programmers too too exclusively, so this may also be a more common term within that field.

7)System Support Engineer This is a title given to someone who's likely on a higher tier or 'level' than many/all of the above. Engineers tend to be more involved with business to business type of work, rather than repairing residential machines. This includes networks, servers, firewalls, etc.

Hope that helps some! Another good read would be the WiKi' page for 'Help Desk' which can be found HERE

PS: Once again these are from my personal experiences and are not to be considered 100% factual definitions, though I find the replies I've given to be fair to good.