Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

issue with wireless keyboard

• Please log in to reply

frank0936

frank0936

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have a Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse. The mouse works great. The keyboard worked great until the batteries went dead. I replaced the batteries. Now, when I log in to the internet, (Firefox)my home page and email are in black and white. It takes about 3 minutes, and there is a high pitched beep and I can refresh the page and it displays correctly. I tried different batteries and the result is the same. The computer has been restarted several times and it still does it. I am on Windows 7 Home Premium. Any ideas?
TIA,
Frank

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Any chance you have a stuck key? May have happened while you were changing the batteries.

frank0936

frank0936

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Sorry to take so long to acknowledge your reply. Every time I tried to sign in, it would say it was first time to log in and I needed to fill out the info. Then, of course, my user name and password was already taken! Anyway, I bought the keyboard at Best Buy and they suggested the same thing. But if it is a sticking key, why dies it happen every time I log on and why would it stop all by itself even if I don't touch the keyboard? I've logged in well over a hundred times since changing the batteries, and it does it every time. I can log off right now and log back in and it will do it again.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Do you hav3e a wired keyboard you could try?

frank0936

frank0936

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
The wired keyboard does the same thing. I am still using the wireless mouse. Could that be causing it? As I said, it started when I changed the batteries in the keyboard. I can't find a help site or support address for the Microsoft keyboard.
Thanks,
Frank

frank0936

frank0936

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
No other suggestions?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Sorry, I've been on vacation for 10 days, just got back.

I don't see how the wireless mouse can cause this and since you have the same problem with a wired keyboard, that leaves some kind of operating system problem.

Try running System File Checker from a Elevated command prompt, see if that finds and corrects anything.

Click Start, type command. Right click on Command Prompt at the top and select Run as Administrator.
Type sfc /scannow and press Enter
Let it run to completion.

Reboot and see if the problem is fixed.

frank0936

frank0936

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Nothing changed. I still have the strange monochromatic color until I get the beep, then a page refresh clears it up. I agree that changing batteries in the keyboard should not have done it, but that's when it started. Also when the batteries in the keyboard went out, it brought up the on screen keyboard and it took me quite a few tries to get rid of it. Could that be related to this issue?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Do you have a System Restore point priuor to when this happened? If so, it would be worth trying to restore to it and see if that fixes the problem.

frank0936

frank0936

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I don't remember the exact date. Here's what happened. My wife was on the computer and told me the keyboard wasn't working. I checked and the batteries were dead. Also, the on screen kb was displayed. I changed the batteries in the Kb, opened the access and turned off the on screen Kb. The on screen kb kept coming up, so I tried another set of batteries. The on screen Kbps kept coming up. Also, the beeping issue started at this time. I rebooted the computer numerous times. I still got the on screen Kb and the beeping. I was able to get rid of the on screen Kb through control panel, but the beeping has remained. I would much prefer to find out what is causing this.
TIA,
Frank

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Let's see if we can eliminate the operating system as a cause.

Try creating a Live Linux CD and boot from it. If that has the same problem (beeping) then it's a hardware problem. If it does not happen then it's a problem with Windows.

See here: Use Puppy Linux Live CD to Recover Your Data

You just need steps 1 and 2. The rest is directions for saving data from a non bootable system.

frank0936

frank0936

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Let's see if we can eliminate the operating system as a cause.

Try creating a Live Linux CD and boot from it. If that has the same problem (beeping) then it's a hardware problem. If it does not happen then it's a problem with Windows.

See here: Use Puppy Linux Live CD to Recover Your Data

You just need steps 1 and 2. The rest is directions for saving data from a non bootable system.

Well, it's a Windows issue. The puppy Linux booted and everything looked normal.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Do you have your data backed up? If not, now is the time to do it. Once you have that, try a Repair Install, see if that fixes the problem.

How to Do a Repair Install to Fix Windows 7

If you don't have a Windows 7 install DVD, step 3 under warning tells you where you can get one legally.

frank0936

frank0936

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I've got the DVD. Interestingly enough, a new guy at work who used to be a repair tech, says it sounds like a hardware issue to him. He suggested it might either be a driver issue with the on-board graphics, or a memory issue. I updated the graphics driver and that made no difference.
Frank

WilliamP

WilliamP

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Do you have the wireless mouse receiver plugged directly into the mother board. I have found that can be a problem.