Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power Supply

• Please log in to reply

timbbo

timbbo

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi all,

I have 2 power supply's that i got from a skool that i got for free. my original power supply blew last night, the cords end connections look different to the original.. will these power supplys work in my computer? will they blow my comp up? any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou.

timbo

Advertisements

Astrotrain

Astrotrain

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
You need to verify the power connectors if they are AT or ATX.

AT are two seperate soilid white connectors, while ATX is one big connector.

The 5.25 connectors (Molex) are the same on bot ATX and AT power supplies.

timbbo

timbbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok well, the 1 that fried was ATX with a big connector, the other 2 ar AT with 2 white connectors..

Will it still work??

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
sorry to say they wont. if your mobo is an ATX, there isnt a way to use an old AT psu on it.

its worth it to spend a few bucks on a quality psu. antec, thermaltake and enermax all make good psu's, that will actually deliver rated power consistently. this is especially important for gaming systems, if thats something your into.

getting a 480 watt or higher psu now will ensure you can use that supply through the next couple of upgrade cycles also.

timbbo

timbbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok, Thanks auidoboy! :tazz: is it worth keepen the other 2 AT Power supply's? or just chuck em..!

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
I would only hang on to them if you know anybody with a PC using those older supplies. otherwise, get rid of em.

Slimboy_Fat

Slimboy_Fat

• Pip
  • 3 posts
You can get convertors but as PSU are cheap and not using the correct one can cause major damage, I would only do it on a old PC if I was stuck..

http://www.mycablesh.../sku/2024MF.htm