Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can external hard drives give themselves a password?

• Please log in to reply

Dani84

Dani84

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi

I have an external hard drive and have had it a while now (3 years).
The problem probably started firstly when it wouldn't show up on the computer, however I put this down to wear and tear of the connection lead as when I moved it around it would then pop up and I could use it as normal.

Recently I have plugged it in and it is now asking for a password that was never set. I wouldn't know how to do this! So I am unable to access any of my data.

How can I get round this without loosing the data? I has the last 3 years of photo's, video's that cannot be replaced.

I thought hard drives were the best way to store your files, however I'm not to sure anymore.

Please help!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: Dani84

Dani84
Recently I have plugged it in and it is now asking for a password that was never set. I wouldn't know how to do this! So I am unable to access any of my data.

How can I get round this without loosing the data? I has the last 3 years of photo's, video's that cannot be replaced.

As per the GTG TOU please keep this in mind as there are limitations as to what we can and are able to advise :thumbsup:

o.Due to the nature of online help we are not able to verify ownership, and will not be able to help bypass or recover any user passwords, cd keys, license codes, serial numbers, etc.

As the HDD would appear to be malfunctioning there is a possibility (but only slight) that an in-built protection/encryption has been activated, please provide the brand and model name or number of the device so that we can do some research on the product which btw may establish whether the HDD is covered by warranty or not.

Please note that if you are not already aware only the physical HDD itself is covered by a manufactures warranty and not the data on it.

Dani84

Dani84

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Its a western digital,WDBAAA3200ABK-EESN
320 GB My Passport Essential

the device will just not unlock to retrieve the data.

Its warranty has already expired last march :(

Any help is apprieciated

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello Dani84

the device will just not unlock to retrieve the data.

Not sure what you mean by this, do you mean that the HDD is detected but you are denied access to the data on it.

If you have not done so already try the WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows which can be found Here

Dani84

Dani84

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
sorry,

Yes the HDD is detected and I am denied access.

I have been in touch with a WD adviser and they basically told me I will loose my data, more than likely because at some point the drive was not ejected properly. (this is the reason why it has created its own password?)

My main question is now, the password that has been created by the HDD, is it likely to be logical? Would it used one from my computer I would normally use or is it going to be totally random?

I understand you have to be careful with passwords etc, I understand you cannot tell us how to override them. I'm just want to get my photo's back.

I will try the diagnostics, thanks

Thanks for all the responses so far :)

Edited by Dani84, 05 September 2013 - 07:36 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Have you tried the default user name and password, this should have been suggested by WD - was it and did they provide the required information but still no joy.

Dani84

Dani84

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
When you say default user name and password, Would this be the one I use to log into windows with?

Unfortunately they didn't suggest this, but we already tried it anyway it, no joy.

oh well, it looks like other than what has been tried there is no real way of recovering my data. Will just have to be more careful next time and back it up on another device :)
These things come to try us and teach us a lesson!

Thanks for all your help, it has been very much appreciated :thumbsup:

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
You could also try removing the actual hard drive and see if you can access it directly on a computer. It might be the external controller is broken and is what is causing the problem. Opening the case would most likely void the warranty though.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello Dani84

When you say default user name and password, Would this be the one I use to log into windows with?

No, the following information is widely available courtesy of Google