Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Raid stripe failure. What now?

• Please log in to reply

ErikTheBearded

ErikTheBearded

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi, my PC froze up and when I booted it back up, I received the failure notice as seen in the attached pictures. I'm pretty much in the dark when it comes to partitioning/hardware, the computer was recently given to me by a friend. I'd like to know what my options are from here as far as repair or file recovery. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• Raid1.jpg
  • Raid2.jpg
  • Raid3.jpg
  • Raid4.jpg
  • Raid5.jpg

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
It was RAID0, which is not really RAID, but AID as there is no redundancy. Half the data is gone and depending on how exactly it was stripped, there might not be much you can do except to start over. This is the point in time in which a backup would come in handy.

It might be possible to salvage some data from the one existing drive, but I suspect it would be time consuming.

Sorry.

ErikTheBearded

ErikTheBearded

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I suspected as much. I wish I had backups, but I don't.

Now, how would I go about salvaging whatever I can? Time is not an issue.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,756 posts
Gday.
It is important that you do not disconnect/remove the drives.

From you second screenshot, what options do you get from "4 Recover Volume Options"?

ErikTheBearded

ErikTheBearded

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I definitely won't unplug anything, no worries there :).

Pictured below are the options from the section you requested.

Attached Thumbnails

• Raid6.jpg
  • Raid7.jpg

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts

You can hire a company, or you can manually review the data on the disk to see if there is any complete valid data. There might also be some programs which allow you to try to recover data on the disk, but the problem is half of the disk is gone.

It is also possible to get the failed disk repaired. Depending on what is wrong with it, if it was the controller board on it, you can sometimes replace the board, with the same firmware version, and get it to work again.

If you send the disk in, you would need to make sure that they don't wipe the data on the disk.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts

From you second screenshot, what options do you get from "4 Recover Volume Options"?

Is it RAID0, there is no parity information, no redundant data, so it is not possible to recover data on a RAID0.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raid0

ErikTheBearded

ErikTheBearded

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

You can hire a company, or you can manually review the data on the disk to see if there is any complete valid data. There might also be some programs which allow you to try to recover data on the disk, but the problem is half of the disk is gone.

It is also possible to get the failed disk repaired. Depending on what is wrong with it, if it was the controller board on it, you can sometimes replace the board, with the same firmware version, and get it to work again.

If you send the disk in, you would need to make sure that they don't wipe the data on the disk.

I accept that half the data is gone. However, how would I go about manually reviewing whatever data may remain on the disk? Also, what sort of recovery programs do you recommend?

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts

I accept that half the data is gone. However, how would I go about manually reviewing whatever data may remain on the disk? Also, what sort of recovery programs do you recommend?

I use Linux, so my answers are going to be a bit different :-). You can boot the machine using Knoppix and use od, strings or other commands to search for specific data.

I don't know of any specific recovery problems, although I have seen some discussed here.

Is there something specific that you are looking for on the disk?

ErikTheBearded

ErikTheBearded

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I don't know of any specific recovery problems, although I have seen some discussed here.

Is there something specific that you are looking for on the disk?

Just family photos and videos. I'll try Knoppix and see how it goes from there.

Thanks, I'll drop by later if I have more questions.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
For those files, you can't just look at the data, you need to have a tool to search for the files as there is nothing obvious that it is what you are looking for.

You can copy the disk to another drive, then work with that to protect the original data.

ErikTheBearded

ErikTheBearded

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

For those files, you can't just look at the data, you need to have a tool to search for the files as there is nothing obvious that it is what you are looking for.

You can copy the disk to another drive, then work with that to protect the original data.

I have a spare HDD, what't the easiest way to copy over the data?

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
Well, the way that I do it is to boot Knoppix, make sure that I know which drive is which, then use dd to copy the complete disk.

For example, once you boot knoppix, open a terminal and then "su" to get into root.

dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=32M

Just make sure that the drives are correct, otherwise you will wipe out the data. It takes a long time if the drive is large.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,756 posts
use S.M.A.R.T. to identify the bad disk.
I don't know if it can tell you if the controller is bad.

I have read some good reports for recovery data using this program, > http://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/