Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New to PC building

• Please log in to reply

Logan975

Logan975

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm new to the PC building world. I currently have a custom built PC for gaming but I would like to upgrade it, but I'm not sure what parts I have in it. I would like to upgrade my motherboard and processor. Because they are the oldest parts in my Pc being 6-7 years old. I'm not sure what parts they are right now because I got them from a friend and don't have contact with him anymore. So if someone can give me advice as to how to figure out what parts I have now that would be great. Any other tips are welcome.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday Logan975, Posted Image
With an old system, it is unlikely the RAM would be compatible with a new MB..
Please answer a few questions first and then we will see what can be done.
What brand model is the case?
What OS is being used? XP, Vista, 7, is it 32 bit or 64 bit? Do you have a installation disk.
Some info. Disassembling or poking inside the PSU can give you a severe shock, the rest of the inside is safe but static electricity stored in your body can do lots of damage to computer parts, so please when working on the computer, unplug from the mains and take anti static measures by briefly touching a bare metal part of the computer case.

Logan975

Logan975

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Gday Logan975, Posted Image
With an old system, it is unlikely the RAM would be compatible with a new MB..
Please answer a few questions first and then we will see what can be done.
What brand model is the case?
What OS is being used? XP, Vista, 7, is it 32 bit or 64 bit? Do you have a installation disk.
Some info. Disassembling or poking inside the PSU can give you a severe shock, the rest of the inside is safe but static electricity stored in your body can do lots of damage to computer parts, so please when working on the computer, unplug from the mains and take anti static measures by briefly touching a bare metal part of the computer case.

Ive figured out what "MB" I have its an Asus M2X-MX Se plus. The case is a rosewill ATX mid tower. I have windows 7 x64 bit. I dont have the disk. I dont have a disk reader my friend did all the work.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks for the update.

Please read this ariticle, then see if you can find a sticker on the computer. > http://tips4pc.com/a...windows_coa.htm

We need to know the brand/model of the PSU. Remove the side panel of the case to find that information, should be on the side of the PSU.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
On the Asus site, there is no MB, M2X-MX Se plus, I feel sure this is what you have, > http://www.asus.com/...#specifications
Let us know about the PSU.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Do you still some assistance? An update would be appreciated.

Thanks.