Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hard drive

• Please log in to reply

jimbo1949

jimbo1949

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
i had to install a new hard drive on my windows 7 computer.Is there any way to get data off old hard drive

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Yes Jim.

Obtain one of these and transfer your personal stuff to the new hard drive.

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B001A5SK56

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

i had to install a new hard drive on my windows 7 computer.Is there any way to get data off old hard drive

Can I ask why you had to fit a new HDD - did the previous HDD fail/have issues.
Is it a notebook or desktop computer.

jimbo1949

jimbo1949

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I had to install a new hard drive because the old one stopped working .It makes a clicking noice but will not boot up.I buy asata/ide cable but i still cannot get the data off old drive.any help please desktop computer

Edited by jimbo1949, 08 September 2013 - 12:42 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

.It makes a clicking noice but will not boot up.

This is referred to as the "click of death" so I do not hold out much hope of being able to access the data on the HDD without using the services of a data recovery service, these services are expensive + they do not guarantee the successful recovery of any of the data.

Is the HDD detected in the BIOS or Disk Management, if yes then you should try a data recovery software such as Recuva or Puppy Linux but if the HDD is not detected it suggests that the drive has expired.