Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Flashing black screen Crash to desktop

• Please log in to reply

PestoPosta

PestoPosta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Well just as I was going to say, "I think we have rapped this puppy up."
You will never guess what happened. >_<
Well you probably will.

I get another crash, so I go to restart my comp, and I get a blue screen of death.

Couple other things the tech installed the new driver over the old one then uninstalled the old card,
and after installation of the driver went into the reg and deleted stuff for the old ati card.

I attached the blue screen of death bmp (Crash), is there any other info that may be helpful, that I should send your way?

Attached Files

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Couple other things the tech installed the new driver over the old one then uninstalled the old card,
and after installation of the driver went into the reg and deleted stuff for the old ati card.

That is not how I for one install drivers for a new video card, I remove the old drivers first and then restart the computer and either install the drivers from a disk that was supplied with the card or drivers that I have saved to my desktop earlier.

Your video card drivers would be from Dell as you are already aware.

Please refer to the reply of panais Here

PestoPosta

PestoPosta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Yeah that is how I normally do it as well. >_<

Yeah I saw that when I did a google search for the error,
read a little of it, but I will read more when I have the chance :)
and let you know how it works out.

I am highly uncomfortable doing the ram test, particularly the removing
of the ram sticks, as I am fairly sure that violates my warranty, that and
am not terribly comfortable opening this laptop up...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Try only the clean install of drivers for now then :thumbsup:

As an asides you are allowed to upgrade your Ram without invalidating your warranty and it is only when doing something like dismantling the chassis that you are on dangerous ground, a tutorial showing how the Ram is upgraded on a notebook is available Here

PestoPosta

PestoPosta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
That is more or less what I did the first time I told you I reinstalled the driver.
Sans the update of DirectX, *Shrug* I will to as the nice man suggests then. :)

Also, might it be game related?
I know Steam installs DirectX for each of its games so I am now wondering if a reinstall of my games is needed, since
it does sort of seem to happen after I have been gaming, not during the gaming itself though.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

It is odd that it happens after you have been gaming :confused:
I could understand it if it happened during gaming down to heavy demands on system and video memory or overheating but not when the load on the computer is eased off.

To see if it is driver related run BlueScreenView and let us know the results.

PestoPosta

PestoPosta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
That is where I got the attached crash.txt from.
What else would you like me to attach from it?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
WinCrashReport

Check what drivers are installed with DriverView

PestoPosta

PestoPosta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Ok maybe I am missing something but the crash reporter is giving me nata.

And is there a nice easy way to get the driver viewer to give me a text
version of what drivers I have, so I can ppass them along to you?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
If you are not getting a crash report it suggests that it may not be a Windows issue which is one thing at least.

For DriverView you can use the "generate an HTML report of all the items or just the selected ones" option, click on the View tab and then select HTML Report - All Items

Advertisements

PestoPosta

PestoPosta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
There we go. :)

Of course I am not permitted to upload htms >_< XD
And, when I change the file type I get an error uploading it.

So plan B?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Save the list of drivers as Text format & then copy/paste the list into your reply.

PestoPosta

PestoPosta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Take 2 then XD

Attached Files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Apologies for the delay and thanks for the update PestoPosta :thumbsup:

Can I ask whether or not the integrated video has been disabled in the BIOS.

I noticed that you have two wireless devices installed/enabled;
NativeWiFi Miniport Driver 6.1.7600.16385 Microsoft Corporation
Broadcom 802.11 Network Adapter wireless driver 5.30.21.0
You should disable the device that you do not use in the Device Manager + uninstall the drivers for it.

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop information :thumbsup:

NB: An example of the url that we require and the information that it leads to http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/sec.asp?conid=25271813

PestoPosta

PestoPosta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hey no worries. :)
I have been rather busy myself.
Yeah I have the other driver disabled via the disable function. :)
Nvidia installed their Nvidia nForce network contorler that I had
to kill off as well via that or no interwebs >_<

I uninstalled an reinstalled the game (Fallout: New Vegas) I think may be causing the problem, *shrugs*
and am seeing how that works at the moment. Since the crashes seems to happen after I have been playing,
it uses directX and has been moded into oblivion... not the game that is, but rather the state of none being. ;)
I guess the good news so far is so far so good... but it has only been one day so time will tell.

I have not gotten around to doing what panais has sugested yet, so I will let you know as soon as I do. :)