Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

[HELP] Dell laptop won't startup.

• Please log in to reply

Lelouch

Lelouch

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have Dell Inspiron n5010, it is about 14months old (out of warranty), I've never had problem before but while I was playing game, the laptop just died and it won't boot to windows anymore. When I powered on, the Inspiron logo appears and then dies, sometimes it even died before the logo. I've tried without plugged in to ac and on ac only, that is w/o battery, but the problem still persists. Any help/suggestion is appreciated. Thanks.

Btw, Laptop spec :
Dell Inspiron n5010
Core i5 2nd gen.

Edited by Lelouch, 01 September 2013 - 10:07 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,020 posts
:welcome: Lelouch

Sorry to hear that you are having computer issues.

I've never had problem before but while I was playing game, the laptop just died and it won't boot to windows anymore. When I powered on, the Inspiron logo appears and then dies

Please explain what you mean by the word "dies" as in does the screen go black or can the notebook be heard to physically turn off and there are no power LEDs lit up.

When I powered on, the Inspiron logo appears and then dies, sometimes it even died before the logo

The Dell logo information is mapped onto the BIOS chip so if you are not even getting the logo then the problem is either with the BIOS chip itself or something before it, this includes the power supply and the MB itself.

Is the DC jack on the notebook secure as in no movement of any kind.
If you plug the AC adapter into the notebook but do not press the power on button does the mains power LED or battery charging LED light up.
Have you tried removing the battery, AC adapter and Ram and then pressing the power on button down for between 20 and 30 seconds, this dispels any static charge that may have built up and on some notebooks does a hard reset of the BIOS chip.

Lelouch

Lelouch

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the fast response and warm welcome :D

Ok let me explain it in a bit detailed xD

When I press the power button, the power Led lights up and the logo appears like a normal startup, but then after that, it died as if its being shutted down ie. the CPU died. (Only the charging LED lit if plugged in)

The DC jack seems just fine and theres no movement at all.
I've tried that 30 seconds power button hold process but no luck, but I did it without removing the RAM, actually I am not technically good so :D ( I'm good at trying though).

Edited by Lelouch, 01 September 2013 - 10:59 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,020 posts
Thanks for the update Lelouch :thumbsup:

When you start up the notebook can you hear the cooling fan working because from the information that we now have it could be an overheating issue, this based on the fact that the DC jack is secure and that you know that you have power going to the computer proven by the charging LED being lit.

A tutorial to help remove and replace the Ram can be found Here

A guide to help with reducing heat inside a notebook can be found Here it is a HP notebook but the principal is the same.

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

Lelouch

Lelouch

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok thannks... I've read the instruction but the thing is I do not own a screw driver that could fit the screws in the back of the laptop :P.

I also think that it is overheating problem, the harddisk and processor temperature used to rise up to 80 degree celcius according to my computer speed booster software. I've always had overheating problem, I've also just sold my previous laptop because it overheated a lot of time which leads to instant shut down (Dell n5050).

Anyways I need to bring it back to life first :D, so considering its a overheat problem, do I still need to remove the RAM? or should I go to a technician, there is no specific Dell care centre in my place and I don't trust those random technicians out there much, that's the reason I'm posting here in the first place.

And also yes, the cooling fan makes a sound just when I pressed the power button. (as it always does).

EDIT : There's a RAM access door at the back which can be easily opened by removing a single screw, so I removed the RAM, did the power button pressing step but the problem still remains.

Edited by Lelouch, 01 September 2013 - 08:12 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,020 posts
For the most basic of cleans remove the Ram cover and direct short blasts of canned compressed air into the vents as shown in pictures 3 and 4 Here if no improvement then consider steps 2, 3 and 4 at the same link.

It is good that you can at least hear the fan working so hopefully a clean out will resolve the issue.

As an asides Lelouch;

the harddisk and processor temperature used to rise up to 80 degree celcius according to my computer speed booster software

If this is the third party type of software then it can do more harm than good and we do not recommend it`s use here at GTG, please see the information provided by respected author miekiemoe Here