Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tray App wont go away,cant reach internet

• Please log in to reply

woodylsp

woodylsp

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I too have this problem but with a twist,I no longer have the HP disc and cant go online to get softwARE,My laptop has vista home premium,and normally connect wirelessly,I can reach my broadband cable modem but that is as far as I can get,I have tried Firefox,and Internet Explorer both say cant get to internet,I have a work laptop and did all wireless settings as it was set up but still mine canr get on the internet and have 5 barsand it says currently connected to my local and internet but cant reach any site when I view status it is execellent when I diagnose it finds no problem,but this time it says cannot communicate with DNS server (75.75.75.75)
im stuck ANY ideas

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts
Hi Woodylsp :welcome:

Lets take a look, I need you to use the working computer to download a file and transfer to the bad one using a flash drive.

Download MiniToolBox and save the file to the flash drive.
Insert the flash drive on the problematic computer, close the browser and run MiniToolBox, check the following options:
  • Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices (Only Problems)
Click on Go.

Post the resulting log in your next reply.

woodylsp

woodylsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Will do ,Thanks very much for your effort
Woody

woodylsp

woodylsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I hope I did this correctly ,here we go
WoodyAttached File  Resultminitoolbox.txt   26.13KB   139 downloads

woodylsp

woodylsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
It seems the tray app is stopped coming up at start up ,but i still am unable to get online,I thank you very much for all your help,it seems you really know your computers,now if we can only get me online I wont have to purchase another laptop,have a great day
Woody

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts
Hi,

The log show that your computer is connected to the internet and can access sites like google.com and yahoo.com, the problem is something interfering with the web browsers...

The System log have some errors related to ComcastAntiSpyService.exe and that could explain your problem, make sure you have all the license information needed to install Constant Guard Protection Suite software, follow this step to remove the software to see if solves the problem then reinstall.

• Click on Windows flag (Windows Vista/7) in the lower left corner of the computer screen.
  • Click on Control Panel.
  • Click Programs and Features (Vista/Windows 7).
  • In the Programs list, find the Constant Guard Protection Suite software, highlight it and click to uninstall.
  • If you plan to re-install your Constant Guard Protection Suite, select Yes when you see the screen that says "Save secure password file?" If you don't plan to re-install your Constant Guard Protection Suite, click No.
  • An optional Uninstall Survey will open.
Restart your computer - shutting down and restarting the computer finishes the removal process.

After this check if you can access the internet, if it works reinstall the Antivirus right away.

By the way when you access the Programs and Features list uninstall also Ask Toolbar Updater and Ask Toolbar you don't need it...

Let me know the result.

woodylsp

woodylsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
First I want to thank you again for all of your help,you are the best.I did as you said but a couple of things,I was able to remove from the list comcast-Constant Guard Protection Suite,and did it like I was not going to use it again,no survey appeared I hope that does not mean anything.
Also I tried to remove the ask toolbar and for some reason it said I did not have Admin rights to do it,but there is only me on this computer?? Help??

I left the most important part out --I still was not able to reach any browsers!!!!

Edited by woodylsp, 03 September 2013 - 10:46 PM.

woodylsp

woodylsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I left the most important part out --I still was not able to reach any browsers!!!!
WOODY

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

WOODY

Hi,

Please post a new MiniToolBox log.

woodylsp

woodylsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I think this is the second one that I just did
Thank you

Attached Files

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

I think this is the second one that I just did
Thank you

Hi,

It seems an old log, on the first line of the log it says 02-09-2013 at 18:42:23...

woodylsp

woodylsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Ok This is it

WOODY

Attached Files

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Ok This is it

WOODY

Thanks. Lets do a little test, start the computer and press the F8 key to access the Windows Boot menu like this:
Posted Image
select the option Safe Mode with Networking can you access the net in safe mode?

Edited by SleepyDude, 04 September 2013 - 12:07 PM.

woodylsp

woodylsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Ok I know can connect to msn browser,how about that ,what direction should I go in ,are you willing to take control of my computer ,or not??Thanks so very much to get me to this point

WOODY

woodylsp

woodylsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Sleepy Dude
You are awesome,and my thanks go out to you.I want you to know how greatful Iam
I was able to log on MSN and set up a new email it is *** email removed ***,if you wanted to email me or use my other one ,which is *** email removed ***,when I tried to log into my comcast account I could not
error all over

it says "there is a problem with this websites security certificate
The certificate presented by the website was not issued by a trusted certificate aythority
Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server
we recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this website

what the heck ??