Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Anyway to get back my files from a USB pen drive?

• Please log in to reply

Kari0000

Kari0000

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello, there! Here is my issue:
My laptop messed up anyway yesterday and completely formatted my USB pen drive at the same time. How can I get back my files on this USB pan drive? I am really afraid to lose them forever. Does any one know how to recover them back?

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,149 posts
Hi Kari :welcome:

If the pen drive got formatted the only free software that I know to try the recovery is EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Free the free version can recover 2GB of files.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Recuva (free) also does a pretty god job at finding deleted files. This link is to the portable version which does not have to be installed, just unzip and run recuva.exe.

Clamp004

Clamp004

• Pip
  • 1 posts
OK! I think I can help:
1. Do not save any new file on this USB drive in case that anything else would rewrite your wanted files.

2. Plunge this USB drive to your computer again.

3. Opt for a proper data recovery program to help you out. In fact, after the formatting process, the deleted files are not actually deleted as you think normally. They are still there and become invisible. So, in this case, a data recovery freeware is enough for you to restore all your wanted files back. I know there are many USB drive data recovery freeware that can easily help you, such as Recuva, TestDisk and iCare Data Recovery Free, etc.

4. Save and back up restored files on another drive in case of data recovery failure.

Note: Never forget to back up everything important well in the future.

Kari0000

Kari0000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you for all your guys' replies!
I have tried all your mentioned data recovery programs and finally recovered all my wanted files back.
It's great!
Thanks a lot!

Kari0000

Kari0000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

OK! I think I can help:
1. Do not save any new file on this USB drive in case that anything else would rewrite your wanted files.

2. Plunge this USB drive to your computer again.

3. Opt for a proper data recovery program to help you out. In fact, after the formatting process, the deleted files are not actually deleted as you think normally. They are still there and become invisible. So, in this case, a data recovery freeware is enough for you to restore all your wanted files back. I know there are many USB drive data recovery freeware that can easily help you, such as Recuva, TestDisk and iCare Data Recovery Free, etc.

4. Save and back up restored files on another drive in case of data recovery failure.

Note: Never forget to back up everything important well in the future.

Thank you for your detailed answer.
In fact, I know little about the data recovery thing and don't know what to do after the formatting process. But, your detailed answer helps me.
I follow your steps and try your mentioned data recovery freeware. They are great. Now, I have restored all my wanted data back successfully.
Thank you very much!