Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

tr/trash gen removal

• Please log in to reply

dave24

dave24

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Good Morning to you
The avira software is telling me I have this infection it tries to remove but the error message is still there the operating system I have is windows xp. The computer appears to be running fine how can I can I resolve this issue? dave

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts
Hello Dave :welcome:

My name is SleepyDude I will be helping you with your Computer problem. I know that having a computer with problems can be very frustrating but I will do my best to help you fixing the issue.

Please note I'm currently in training, all my responses will be revised by my Teacher before I post so expect a slight delay between replies. On the bright side, you have two people to examine your problem!

Sometimes this can be a long process, it's very important that you stay with me and follow all my instructions to the letter until I declare your machine is clean.

I have compiled a list of guidelines you must take in consideration so that the helping process goes smooth for you and for me:

• Please perform all steps in the order they are listed in each set of instructions
  • Don't install/uninstall any software or run any other cleaning tools besides the ones I ask you to use
    • Running other programs can interfere with the tools we use and have unpredicted results. Also I need to know what is going on with your machine at any time
  • If possible avoid using the computer for other tasks until we finish the cleaning process
    • The reason for this is because it can make the malware infection worst and more difficult to clean. Some malware can download updates from the internet when you use the computer
  • Please don't attach your logs instead Copy & Paste the information to your post unless specifically instructed to do so
  • Please read every post completely before doing anything if you have some doubts or questions please ask before continuing

IMPORTANT: At GeeksToGo we do our best to help you solving the problem but sometimes things don't go as planned. To be safe than sorry you should Backup your important data to a safe place, anywhere except on the computer with problems.

The all fixing process need to be executed from a user account with Administrator privileges also some of the tasks need to be executed in Safe Mode, you should save or print the instructions for use when you don't have access to the forum.

Let's take a look in to your system... Can you tell me the names and path's of the files detected by Avira?

Step 1 - Custom OTL Scan

Download OTL to your Desktop
  • Execute OTL right click on the icon Posted Image and choose Run as Administrator. Make sure all other windows are closed.
    Posted Image
  • Do not change any other settings and tick only the following check box's:
    • Scan All Users
    • LOP Check
    • Purity Check
  • on the Posted Image box paste this:
    netsvcs
    BASESERVICES
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
    /md5start
    services.*
    explorer.exe
    winlogon.exe
    Userinit.exe
    svchost.exe
    /md5stop
    dir "%systemdrive%\*" /S /A:L /C
    CREATERESTOREPOINT

• Click the Run Scan button. Let the program run uninterrupted, the scan won't take long.
    • When the scan completes, it will open notepad with OTL.Txt and another with Extras.txt. The files are saved on the same location as OTL.
    • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the full contents of both files and post in your topic.

Step 2 - Scan with aswMBR

• Download aswMBR from here or here and save the file to the Desktop.
  • Double click the aswMBR.exe file to run it.
    (On Windows Vista and above right click the icon and choose Run as Administrator, accept the security warning)
    Posted Image
  • If it asks you if you want to download the latest virus definitions, click Yes
  • Click the "Scan" button to start the scan
    Posted Image
  • On completion of the scan click Save log and save the file aswMBR.txt to your Desktop.
    WARNING: Don't click on the buttons FixMBR and Fix unless instructed to do so.
  • Open the log aswMBR.txt and post the full contents of the file in your next reply.

Things I would like to see in your next reply:
  • Answer to my question about the Avira detections.
  • The OTL.txt and Extras.txt log's
  • The aswMBR.txt log