Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

For RKinner

• Please log in to reply

zac1

zac1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Good Morning Ron,
Im really struggling with this one.I have unchecked hide file extensions and when i retype autoruns it tells me it cannot find the string.I know i am doing something wrong and i cannot see it.

Advertisements

zac1

zac1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I kept on plugging away at it i am not sure if this is it .I have found a window with rename box on it.It says if you change a file name extension the file might become unusable are you sure you want to change it.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

if you change a file name extension the file might become unusable are you sure you want to change it.

That's the warning you should get when you right click on autoruns.arn and try to rename it to autoruns.txt so it sounds like you are on the right track.

zac1

zac1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
when i click on open a window opens entitled choose file to upload.It says autoruns.txt the file name is not valid.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
You have to point it at the folder where the file lives and when the file shows up in the right pane click on it.

Alternatively:

If it's on your desktop then you can tell it:

C:\Users\andrew\desktop\autoruns.txt

or if it's in your Download folder then it's

C:\Users\andrew\Downloads\autorun.txt

zac1

zac1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
comes up with error.You are not permitted to upload this kind of file.

zac1

zac1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
to[attachment=66466:autoruns.txt

Attached Files

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
You got it attached but unfortunately the file is empty. Can you try again? Start off by running Autoruns and saving the log.

zac1

zac1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
keeps coming up with error.You are not allowed to upload this type of file

zac1

zac1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Most of the time it has been my fault with regaards to sending you the information on autoruns but i now know that i am doing it correctly.I click on browse get the file to come to come up at the side of the browse box click on attach this file and nothing happens.I am also having difficulty opening and using some of my other programmes.Sometimes they work and sometimes they do not.I have been in touch with Microsoft to see about sorting the windows not being genuine.They assured me it was nowv sorted but its back same as always poppping up on screen.Please advise what to do.Thank you.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
I think with autoruns you did not wait for it to finish before making the log. Try it again.

For your other problems get Windows Repair (All In One)

http://www.tweaking....all_in_one.html

and work your way through each step.

Going off island today so will be off line until late.

zac1

zac1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
i have been using tweaking. com for a little while now with no positive results.

zac1

zac1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
hope this is it

Attached Files

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
No That was the autoruns program itself.

Run Autoruns again and wait for it to finish. Then save the log, rename it and attach it.

zac1

zac1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Ron what am i doing wrong.I click on browse select autoruns txt it then comes up with C:\Users\andrew\autoruns.txt at the side of browse box I click on attach this file and it says
error no file was selected for upload.