Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New computer, need advice

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Sorry for the delay in replying.
Your build selection in post #15 is good to go, pleased to see you are using the Corsair PSU.

You do not have a optical drive which you really do need as the OS and MB installation software are on disks, Something like this > http://www.inet.se/p...rw-24f1st-black
And I always include a internal mini system speaker in every build, > http://www.frys.com/...488702#detailed

Advertisements

Sienar

Sienar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
No worries at all! I am humbled by the the service and helpfulness I have received from you both!

I think you might have checked the wrong post though since I chose the Be quiet 630W Modular PSU in post #15. Not too sure about that particular change though, got the recommendation from someone else. What do you think? I also switched from the Asrock Motherboard to the MSI G45 motherboard which hardly cost any extra and is supposed to have a much better sound system(as well as a 3 year warranty instead of 1). If you got any input on that as well that would be wonderful! :)

Do you really need an optical drive though, considering it could just be mounted from an USB?

No idea what an internal mini system speaker is or what it's used for.

Edited by Sienar, 07 September 2013 - 09:39 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Sorry I did get the wrong page. The parts are still all OK, though I would still prefer the Corsair, It is better quality and has a 5 year warranty, Is up to you.
The MSI is a good board, it also has,"supposable", better LAN chip, the Killer Nic.

Do you really need an optical drive though, considering it could just be mounted from an USB?

I think, yes. You can download the OS, create an ISO file and burn to a flash drive. You can download the MB files, (only individually) and burn to flash.
There is a likely problem with this though, often the drives and utilities need to be installed in a particular order and it takes a lot of work to find out that information.
You will also need to create some recovery media, You can use a USB stick but, should there be a problem with the USB drivers at a later date, you have heaps of problems.

The Mini System Speaker fits on two pins on the MB and when you turn on the computer the BIOS will send a code to indicate if everything is OK, or you have a problem. ( speaker beeps). It is still the best way for diagnosing a problem.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
I would also recommend the Corsair PSU + the purchase of a MB speaker :thumbsup:

An optical drive does make life easier, they are relatively inexpensive to purchase but are invaluable when installing a fresh OS and new hardware drivers - owners of netbooks which do not have an optical drive will often purchase an external USB optical drive if they have to do a fresh installation of the OS due to it being more convenient.

Sienar

Sienar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Alright alright! I'll get an optical drive already! ^^

Also, trusting you on the PSU, don't really know if it makes a huge difference if it's modular or not. We were mostly debating the airflow but I guess if I just keep it tidy you I'll be fine.

Couldn't find a motherboard speaker in my country. :S Maybe I simply haven't googled enough but are they really necessary? In any case I suppose they are less crucial, so if you don't respond in a little bit over 2 hours, I have already purchased! :) And I'm happy for it!

Here it is: http://www.inet.se/k...5730/2013-09-08

Edited by Sienar, 08 September 2013 - 06:36 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Alright alright! I'll get an optical drive already! ^^
:)

Also, trusting you on the PSU, don't really know if it makes a huge difference if it's modular or not. We were mostly debating the airflow but I guess if I just keep it tidy you I'll be fine.
Good cable management removes the need (and extra cost) for a modular PSU :thumbsup:

Couldn't find a motherboard speaker in my country. :S Maybe I simply haven't googled enough but are they really necessary? In any case I suppose they are less crucial, so if you don't respond in about 2 hours, I have already purchased! :) And I'm happy for it!
It is beneficial having a MB speaker as 1: it helps with troubleshooting should you have problems and 2: it tells you that all is well when you hear a single beep when the computers passes the POST if you assemble the components and all goes well then you do not need the speaker, they are however a useful tool to have.

Here it is: http://www.inet.se/k...5730/2013-09-08
Nice ;)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday..
+1 for your build, it will have excellent performance.
As we managed to bully you into the optical drive, won't obsess over the speaker, (tech name, piezo buzzer) but, a local pc repair shop might have a used one, free.

Here is the G2G tutorial, thanks to Troy and Artellos, > http://www.geekstogo...r-own-computer/
Some tips. Seems obvvious, but read the manuals carefully, this is the order in which I build.
Change the I/O shield,
Ensure that the stand offs on the MB mounting plate match exactly the pattern and number of screw holes on the MB.
You will find it easier to do the following outside of the case.
Install the CPU, heat-sink/fan. Connect the CPU fan plug to the CPU fan socket on the MB. (inspect the back of the board to check that all locking pins have fully engaged)
Install the RAM. ensure you have the correct slots selected as per your MB manual.
Install the PSU.
Install the Optical drive.
Install the HDD, try to keep the bay/s apposite the end of the GPU empty making it easier to attach it's power cable/s.
Install the MB into the case.
Connect the two power cables for the MB.
complete the build.
Check over all the wiring to make sure everthing is still OK.

Any problems or question? please post.

Re Oculus.
There are no official system requirements. Here is my take.
A mid range and up gaming system with the GPU being the main component.
DVI or HDMI connection, VGA, not supported.
Support for 2 or more displays.
For a game to be playable, Min 60 FPS, the Rift splits the output to deliver 30 FPS to each screen for the 3D effect. You need to adjust the eye candy for each game to achieve this, so will depend on the power of the card, yours will be fine.
Official site, > https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/

Sienar

Sienar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello guys!

Sorry for it to take so long to post, but wanted my next post to be a surprise post from my new computer!

However, there are two cables from the case that I have no idea where to put at all which I need assistance with. It's for the fan controller but that's all I know.

EDIT: Well, actually it's 5 as you can see, but only two kinds.

Attached Thumbnails

• bild (1).JPG

Edited by Sienar, 11 September 2013 - 08:16 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Well, the next one can be the suprise.

Manuals are always the curse for the builder, nearly every one of them has something missing.
Here is a review for you case > http://www.hardocp.c...w/#.UjufCNJRai4
and here is a blow up of the cables.> http://i.imgur.com/bedmvbI.jpg

I would connect the rear exhaust fan directly to the system fan header #1 on the MB so it and the CPU fan are controlled by the MB or BIOS software.
Connect the flat, 4 pin Molex plug to a Molex power socket from the PSU.
Connect the two top fans, (individually) to two cable from the fan controller. This will leave you two spare cable should you decide to add front and or side intake fans.

If not really clear, please post back.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday Sienar.

Did you manage the wiring and are you up and running? An update would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Sienar

Sienar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello iammykyl!

Very sorry for it taking this long to respond. Wanted to run the computer for a little while to see if it worked properly, but could of course have said that it worked at all! So I appologise, especially after all this help you have given me.

The setup you mentioned worked fantastic. I really like being able to control my fans directly on the chasis. The computer in general runs very very well. I can play Rome 2, a game extremely bugged and unomptimized at around 30 fps on the highest Graphics. Arma 3 I can get to around 40-50 on very high while playing multiplayer. I was most impressed by the more optimised Planetside 2 where while playing with more than 100 players in the same spot on the absolute maximum graphics I still got 60-70fps. Sure it's about a year old but is also known to be one of the most demanding games out there. All this at temperatures going no higher than 60C on both the CPU and the GPU.

I have had around 3 crashes however, I Think they relate to the graphic card since I have only gotten them while playing Arma and Rome. The errors have been different everytime so I am unsure about what could have brought them but they are usually very similar to the same problem I had on my own computer which was a faulty graphic card that "overheated" at around 60 degrees. Said atikmdag has stopped running, for example. However, then I could usually get back to the computer to check out the error message while I haven't been able to get full control over the computer after a crash on this one. I have the feeling it mostly has to do with the W8 OS, which I really like otherwise. This problem probably needs further testing though to be certain.

Also can't get the leds to work, those that are right beside the power and reset buttons on the motherboard. Had a few issues with getting the cords connected afterwards as well, the main power cord seems to not sit firmly because I touched the Cables surrounding it while fixing the fans and the computer woulnd't start until I pushed it a little bit.

Been also thinking a Little bit about testing OCing but think I'll wait with it.

Overall, I absolutely things this build is fantastic and am so proud of being able to build it on my own. Would I have been able to get the confidence to do it without you guys? I really don't know. Don't know if I can thank you enough. :-)

But really really, thank you!

Edited by Sienar, 17 September 2013 - 05:35 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday,
No problems Sienar, and your welcome, been a pleasure to help.
Grat you can play the games to your liking, but a bummer if you are crashing.
[quote]the main power cord seems to not sit firmly
A. bIt has a little locking clip, so it should not come off easally, have a look at the images from this post, > http://superuser.com...-to-a-mini-caseAlso Disconnect the plug and reseat it.
can't get the leds to work, those that are right beside the power and reset buttons on the motherboard.
A. After reseating the 12v ATX cable< when you turn on the PSU, (computer off) ) the power on LED should be lit, a warning/reminder the board is live.[/quote]

Just looked through the MSI user manual, There is no mention of LEDS or switches on the MB, only a clear CMOS jumper.
Please check, In the manual, Chapter 3, page 12, please read the section about windows 8 configuration. ensure it is set to enabled. Also read the section about fast Boot and entering BIOS.

60C on the GPU is good, 60C on the CPU is getting high. Tcase is 72.72 Check your temp setting, might be set to shut down at about 60ish, causing a crash.
I don't know windows8 at all, you need to get into the Event Logs, might give some clues for the crashes.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Apologies Sienar, woke this morning and the penny dropped. You may have been referring to the case LEDS???

Please explain further.

Sienar

Sienar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Yes! That's exactly what I meant! ^^

Kinda bad explanation I gave there looking at it now.

Edited by Sienar, 19 September 2013 - 06:15 PM.

Sienar

Sienar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I'm gonna try it again later. Right now though, too much other stuff to focus on to fix it.

Thanks again though! I'll report back when I have tried your fixes! :)