Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New computer, need advice

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Please ignore my fixes in Post #30.
Try following the instructions in this video (found the link in the latest User Manual) and let me know how it goes.
> http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be

Advertisements

Sienar

Sienar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Report after 4 years of usage:

Still works like a blast. The HDD slowed down the computer a lot though but after exchanging it for a 500 GB 850 SSD it works like new. I absolutely love it still. Can't even remember the crashes that I mention in this thread, hasn't crashed in a year or so. Did have some issues with the graphics card that it seemed to have bent the PCI express. A bit of trickery with the cables allowed it to help the graphic card to be held up, preventing any further crashes.

The graphic card has started to show its limits in performance though. Funny that it took this long after 4 years. Usually I get a completely new computer at this point but it seems to have been holding up just fine otherwise.

So additionally to my question I wonder if I could get a new GPU on my rig and that would be it or if I would need to upgrade other parts like PSU/CPU or just get a new one alltogether?

Thanks a thousand times in advance!

And sorry iammykyl for not reporting back on those led fixes. Can't remember what I did back then exactly. They are not working now though, but I haven't been missing them.

For those not wanting to find my finished build in the thread, here it is: https://www.inet.se/...5730/2013-09-08

Edited by Sienar, 27 August 2017 - 07:13 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello Sienar,

Due to unforeseen circumstances iammykyl cannot be around at the moment and being that this thread is almost four years old and much has since changed it would be best if you started a new thread and we will be happy to take a look for you there.