Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Restore Won't Work

• Please log in to reply

Seamey. T

Seamey. T

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Toshiba Laptop A300

Windows 7 Home Premium
Processor: IntelŪCore™2 Duo CPU T5800 @ 2.00GHz 2.00 GHz
Memory (Ram) 3.00 GB
System 64-bit
Hard Drive:Windows 7(C:)218 GB Free OF 297 GB

Hi Guys,

Was trying to restore my system to an earlier time but to no avail.
Each time I try a different restore point,I get this error message,

"System Restore failed to extract the original copy of the directory from
The Restore Point."

Source%SystemRoot%registration
Destination:ComPlusStaging.

I cleaned out all my old Restore Points to see if that would work and created a new Restore Point,but that failed also with the same error as above.

System Restore creates restore points ok,but you just cannot revert back to them.

Any help to resolve this problem would be most welcome,

Thank you.

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
When i had similiar issue with system restore i did a recovery of my operating system,that helped.One thing i notice with me from system restore working was my anti-virus,i have norton 360 and i had to temporarily disable tamper protection before i could run system restore.This may or may not be your issue with another program or ant-virus,but a operating system recovery is worth a try,just advice,make sure data is backed up,otherwise all you put on is gone.Hope this may help if most ideas fail,recovery is always last option to do,try running as administrator sfc scannow with the command prompt type:sfc / scannow and next do a checkdisc right click c: drive,select properties,tools,checkdisc,schedule next reboot ,again if all else fails last resort,do the recovery,takes some time but it should help,unless someone else here can guide you with better advice,good luck.:thumbsup:

Edited by jds63, 04 September 2013 - 10:41 PM.