Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acer Aspire hard drive replacement won't load OS

• Please log in to reply

wingsdiva

wingsdiva

• PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
Hi, folks!
I just replaced the hard drive on an Acer Aspire 5552. I'm trying to install Windows XP on the fresh drive, but once it loads all the files, I get the BSOD that says the usual "Windows has detected a problem and shut down to protect your computer" with the following error codes:
STOP Ox0000007B (OxF78DA63C, OxC0000034, Ox00000000).

I've tested the memory, changed installation CDs, taken out the hard drive and put it back in, all to no avail. Any suggestions or helpful hints? Thanks!

Edited by wingsdiva, 04 September 2013 - 07:27 PM.

Advertisements

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Did your HDD come with a diagnosis disk? Use it to determine the drive.

wingsdiva

wingsdiva

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
It did not come with a disc. I did contact the manufacturer and they think it's a BIOS issue. I haven't determined anything untoward in the BIOS, but that doesn't mean there isn't.

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
I think they're referring to the virus protection in the BIOS that can interfere with the OS installation. Have a look in your BIOS to see if you have such thing and disable it if you do.

wingsdiva

wingsdiva

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
If there's virus protection in the boot sector, it's very, very well hidden. Thanks for the suggestions!

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi, folks!
I just replaced the hard drive on an Acer Aspire 5552. I'm trying to install Windows XP on the fresh drive, but once it loads all the files, I get the BSOD that says the usual "Windows has detected a problem and shut down to protect your computer" with the following error codes:
STOP Ox0000007B (OxF78DA63C, OxC0000034, Ox00000000).

I've tested the memory, changed installation CDs, taken out the hard drive and put it back in, all to no avail. Any suggestions or helpful hints? Thanks!

Hi,

Is this the first time you install Windows XP on that machine? Is the Windows XP CD a retail version or OEM specific for the Acer?

wingsdiva

wingsdiva

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
Hi,
Yes, this is the first time XP will be on the machine; it formerly had Windows 7, but he lost his disc. The only disc he has is XP. It is a valid disc and definitely not specific to the Acer.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,
Yes, this is the first time XP will be on the machine; it formerly had Windows 7, but he lost his disc. The only disc he has is XP. It is a valid disc and definitely not specific to the Acer.

Most likely you get the error because XP needs specific drivers for the Hard Disk controller on the machine, Windows 7 probably have the driver already included.

Before continue to install Windows XP that is an OS going to it's end on next year, please answer this:

Does the machine have the Windows COA attached with the Windows 7 Key?
Posted Image
Note: In some laptops to locate the sticker you have to remove the battery.

wingsdiva

wingsdiva

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
Yes, it does. I'm currently working on getting a Windows 7 installation disc, but I'd kinda like to install XP if I can.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Yes, it does. I'm currently working on getting a Windows 7 installation disc, but I'd kinda like to install XP if I can.

In that case you can download Windows 7 full ISO using the links on this page.

Select the Windows 7 edition according with the information you have on the COA stick.

To install XP you need to check the BIOS, try to change the Sata mode to Compatible or disable AHCI mode, the option is different in every Brand/model and in some case it's not possible to change that because the option isn't available...

Installing Windows XP on newer machines can be problematic because the lack of drivers, check the Acer page for the specific model you have to see if they provide drivers for XP, most likely there isn't.

wingsdiva

wingsdiva

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
I checked the BIOS yesterday; all it has is the AHCI mode and IDE. I didn't want to mess with it.
I'm currently downloading an ISO from the link you gave me. I had tried another one, but the machine wouldn't boot from it. I kept getting a media test failure message along with "no bootable device." I'm hoping the links here work better! Anything special I should know about burning it?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

I checked the BIOS yesterday; all it has is the AHCI mode and IDE. I didn't want to mess with it.
I'm currently downloading an ISO from the link you gave me. I had tried another one, but the machine wouldn't boot from it. I kept getting a media test failure message along with "no bootable device." I'm hoping the links here work better! Anything special I should know about burning it?

The ISO's from that link are all clean and directly from Microsoft, burn the DVD at low speed like 8x.

For XP you need to change to IDE.

wingsdiva

wingsdiva

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
You rock, SleepyDude! Thanks a bunch!